Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Has anyone inquired as to the return/failure rate on the AE-100 ?

Seems like every 5th person that posts about them has had the "red blinking light" thermistor dead problem. Some after 80+ hours.

This apparently high failure rate and high return shipping costs (to Japan) combine to give me the greatest reservations about ordering one.

Any comments ?

Are all digital PJs this unreliable ?

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well, it's the nature of the beast with forums like this.

Everyone who has had something go wrong posts, but not everyone posts that everything is going great.

So you get a skewed impression of the reality of the failure rate.

I think the vast majority are doing fine, but I don't know how many are over 80 hours.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would have to agree with bryanmc - those who's projectors are working fine aren't posting. I mean, there are too many AE100 threads already - no point in posting "Love my AE100" threads all over the place. Though I would also agree that there does seem to be quite a few problems posted, but my feeling is that it is probably no more so than the typical projector. I guess it's hard to guess at the real numbers - I wouldn't even be able to make a decent guess as to how many forum members actually have bought one.

But for the record, I have about 50 hours on mine and no problems.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wouldn't it be nice if we could do a poll where AE100 AVSForum customers with no issues would list their userid on one column, and others with problems would list their userid on another column.

And then some kind of tool that will automatically count up the two different parties and report percentages.

Or someone could just keep an updated spreadsheet or webpage... :D

·
Registered
44 Posts
Or better yet, maybe the people affected by the LED of Death problem could consolidate an inquiry back to the Japanese vendor - this route would apply more pressure for a response.

I'm hoping if people inquire into this problem together, we could find out the source of the problem either through the JP vendor or through Panasonic.

If this were just one or two instances, I would chalk it up to normal failure rate, but it's starting to sound like either a defective part that is causing a large batch to be affected, or an ongoing problem which Panasonic has not found root cause for.

I hope this is not the delay for the US PT-AE100 launch !!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm pretty sure someone around here knows that guy who runs **********....we should find out how many returns he's getting as opposed to how many he sells.....

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ask your self a question when does it hurt the most...

When you pay 5k for a marantz only to have it give you problems or

you pay 1.3k for a panasonic and have a problem?

Welcome to the age of technology. Since I'm sure Panasonic is an ISO 9002 certified manufacturer they should be abiding by all the quaility control standards everyone else is applying.

But besides all that, this is the nature of electronics. Electronic components fail and typically, since the circuitry is consolidated on a few chips, the failure is catostrophic. There are also a load of factors on these devices that make them more prone to failure given the very nature of the beast. I can't tell you how many times my wife gave me grief over a computer monitor dying when our TV has lasted 15 years with no problems yet in her eyes the computer monitor, which cost more, should last longer. Go figure?

Mine has 60 hours and I have not had any problems with it. Can I guarantee that it won't...no way, but I do take precautions to make sure that I don't increase my chances of problems. I don't fiddle with it while it's running. I don't move it when it's hot. I don't turn it on and off ever 15 min. I allways let it cool 30 min. minimum before powering it back on. I run an extra cooling fan on the out side of the unit, etc. And most important of all I treat it as gently as I would a bottle of Nitro Glycerin.

Cheers

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by anthonyc
Ask your self a question when does it hurt the most...

When you pay 5k for a marantz only to have it give you problems or

you pay 1.3k for a panasonic and have a problem?

Depends if you have a local warranty or not. :)

If I have to pay to ship the unit back to Japan, costing me $250 in shipping and be without a PJ for 4 weeks on the AE100....or take the $5000 Marantz down to the local agent who swaps it for a new machine while I wait...well you get the picture.

Quote:
Welcome to the age of technology. Since I'm sure Panasonic is an ISO 9002 certified manufacturer they should be abiding by all the quaility control standards everyone else is applying.
Sometimes a model gets through with a design flaw common problem that cannot be forseen. That is why product recalls occur. This even happens to motorcars, arguaby the *most* "designed and quality controlled" bits of machinery around.

It's worth looking out for these things. I don't see a huge swag of messages about people with LT150s having problems, a projector that "appeared" (I realise it's only an inherently inaccurate observation) to be every bit as popular as the AE-100.

I think it's likely, (as you imply ?) that people aren't being as careful with their units as they could be. Maybe this machine isn't as fool-proof as some of the others ?

·
Registered
44 Posts
my point is just if this is a normal risk of electronics or if there is something abnormally wrong with the AE100 that other projectors don't experience. If it was the latter, there could possible be a recall.

I do suggest the precautions that "anthonyc" took, but a well built product should not force the consumer to have to go to that extent to be "that careful".

Sure a $1400 projector breaking is not as bad a heartache as a $5000 projector, but still, money is money and in this economy........

Anyways, I've got 50+ hours too and doing fine, but if I start getting the same problem, I'll be pissed and it would convince me more that it could be a real quality problem that Panasonic needs to look at.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I've got about 65 hours on it now with (constantly knocking on wood) no problems. Like you Mr. President, or may I call you Bozo :) I will be quite annoyed if the LED of death strikes. So far I'm not seeing any patterns with the failures. Everyone appears to be handling the projectors properly. It doesn't appear to be related to a "bad batch" as old and recently shipped models are affected and number of hours doesn't seem to related either. Now if those that shipped them for repair ever get them back maybe that will tell us something.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yes..agree !! It would definitely be good to hear from those who have sent their projectors back for repair what Panasonic or JP vendor said root cause was.....I think we would all sleep better (or worse !). I don't think I've heard any response back yet....and yes, you may call me Bozo...

·
Registered
306 Posts
Two things to check - make sure you clean the filter every 100 hrs. My 711XU states this clearly in the manual - I guess the AE100 will be the same. It's suprising how dirty they get after 100hrs use.

Also it gets very hot up at ceiling level whilst you are comfortably warm down below - make sure it's not cooking....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.