AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll give six brand new unsealed DVD's to anyone who can provide me with an AE-100 demonstration within a radius of 100 miles (I'm in Pensacola, Florida).

Bob Wood

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
If anyone in the Southern New England area has an AE100 they would be proud to demo I would very much like to take a look.

Thanks.

--Jerome

·
Registered
134 Posts
Robertwood,

I'm in the Tampa, Fla area. I also have mine set up using Canare cables with a Panasonic RP56 Progressive Scan DVD player, and the picture looks Awesome.

·
Registered
170 Posts
NEO2000

I'm a newbie in Tampa and I would love to come see your AE100.

I've been reading everything I can on the AE100. Would be great to finally see it in person.

I just sent you a PM

Thanks,

Herb

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
that's a nice offer, but anyone who takes you up on it is not a friend of mine. i'd gladly let someone demo my setup free of charge.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
I think its a give and take thing. I mean, maybe the offer of DVD's is out of desparation in not locating a local Floridian who has an ae100 or maybe its a serious offer. In my case, the ae100 owner who generously demo'd their newly aquired unit for 3 hours! for me was enjoying every minute of it since I brough LD's and about 10 DVD's. I think we both benefited from the experience and the owner was keen to have another critical set of eyes and ears to discuss his projector. Mancubus was quite generous in his demo though, and that surprised me, but I guess he wanted to get some feedback and view some things he might not have otherwise seen.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cpc
I think its a give and take thing. I mean, maybe the offer of DVD's is out of desparation in not locating a local Floridian who has an ae100 or maybe its a serious offer.
I know Bob very well and if he's offering it then it's genuine.

--Jerome

·
Registered
32 Posts
If anyone is in Charlotte that needs a demo, let me know. I don't have the optimal setup kicking yet but IMO it is still awesome.

As always no charge...

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Sultan of Cheap is offering free DVD's--now I've seen it all. By the way what ever happened to your 3-cheap DLP you got from Epay? How does it compare to your CRT, G1000, and lord knows what other PJ you have? :D

·
Registered
6,227 Posts
Yeah dont forget this is Bob... What DVD's were these exactly... The origional 4:3 release Highlander or Pulp Fiction perhaps :) !!!

Dont knock the 3DLP realm John Andrews had a Alice 5200MX (XGA 2.5k lumens IIRC) for less than 2k asking... Its the xenon bulbs that kills me..

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Phreddy,

I think John has a Ampro 5000MX SVGA for $2K.

--Jerome

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
As for the titles I don't remember them all but one of them is called "Dr X" or something like that. They were all marked down to $3.67 at Roy's Bargain Barn.

But sadly I guess I better rescind the offer to trade the DVD's for a demo.

I received a couple of PM's which presented rather unflattering reviews of the AE100. So I think I better stick with the ole CRT projector I'm using.

I no longer have the D-ILA, the Alice 3-DLP or the LT-150, Huey. Only my ole CRT's.

Bob

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
"I received a couple of PM's which presented rather unflattering reviews of the AE100. "

I'm curious, have these reviews been published publically? If not, why do you think people would go the PM route to "warn" you?

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Weird. Why would you decline the offer to see one in real life? How can that be a bad thing? When you see it in action, you either like it, or you don't.

·
Registered
38 Posts
This thing is really getting weird. I know some folks have had some problems with this PJ. I have had mine for a month and no issues at +60 hours. I hope it keep going without any problems but I can tell you it is a heck of deal and you get more than you pay for. ( to me that is ) but like they say it's your money ..........IT'S YOUR CALL

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I probably should have kept my mouth shut. I really don't want to start a debate over this thing (especially since I haven't yet seen it with my own eyes). I started this thread only because I was truly impressed by what was being said about this inexpensive projector and wanted to see it perform.

But now that I've opened this can of worms I should follow up with this.

The person who sent me the PM is someone whose opinion I respect. He has seen many different digital projectors do their thing.

He did not want to throw down on the AE100 publicly and that is why he sent me the PM. Among his comments was the fact that he sent the thing off to a testing facility to have a contrast ratio measurement done on it and they reported a CR of about 250:1.

Bob

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Thanks Bob, I appreciate you coming clean :)

I'm blessed with the perfect match of cheapness and apparent complete lack of critical viewing capability. I really like the AE100 and have no problems at all with the contrast, black level and screen door. A U.S. price of $2k though, does put it in direct competition with some other nice projectors. If I was buying it in the U.S. I would take my time and choose among the many options as I don't think the AE100 is the clear winner. At $1400, it's a winner for me. I am concerned with what appears to be about a 10% failure rate. At this point I'm in the 90% group and I hope I stay there :)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I would say that CR number is about right (250:1). This is my only hangup with the AE100 currently. I would get something with better blacks but there is nothing in my price range (under $2k) besides CRT and I just got rid of a perfectly good one because I did not want to ceiling mount it.

FWIW As soon as there is a 16:9 DLP machine with no rainbows and similar bulb life in my price range I'll probably sell the AE100.

I'm thinking of doing a gray screen in the mean time....

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by David James
"I received a couple of PM's which presented rather unflattering reviews of the AE100. "

I'm curious, have these reviews been published publically? If not, why do you think people would go the PM route to "warn" you?
Let's see. Possibly because the AE100 is a very popular projector and most people who weren't impressed by it are reluctant to post their opinions because they don't want to get flamed?

Let me know if that sounds about right.

--Jerome

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cpc
Weird. Why would you decline the offer to see one in real life? How can that be a bad thing? When you see it in action, you either like it, or you don't.
Interesting question. Someone contacted me by PM with a demo offer and I replied but haven't heard back from him yet. Regardless of what is being said on either side I still want to see this thing for myself.

Bob, I would encourage you see one if you can do it conveniently. Then you will know what to think because you would have seen it for yourself.

--Jerome

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.