AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know, not yet another AE100-thread, but this is actually something new.

Now this is quite interesting I think. I've been considering the AE100 for some time, especially importing one since it is so much cheaper than buying one here in Denmark. 3 weeks ago I mailed the Danish department of Panasonic Tech Support asking them whether it would be possible to get them to repair a faulty unit from Japan in stead of sending it back. The mail was forwarded to a guy who was on holiday at the time but now he's finally back and has sent me a reply.

It generally boils down to this: Panasonic Denmark will repair a unit from Japan free of charge as long as it's still under warranty and I'm able to present them with the buyer's contract.

He does however say that repair could take a long time if it's not a model they're familiar with and therefore have parts for in Europe. In my mail I didn't indicate which model I was planning on importing, but I should think that there wouldn't be any problems getting a TH-AE100 repaired since it very much seems that it uses the exact same parts as the PT-AE100. Still, to make sure I mailed him 10 minutes ago asking whether the TH would be a problem.

This could possibly be great news for importers - furure and present - of the AE100. I can't imagine Panasonic DK having a policy different from the rest of the EU branches so everybody in Europe might be eligible for getting their units repaired locally free of charge. The same might apply for the US too. No expensive round shippings to Japan!

I'll follow up on this as soon as I get a reply from them.

-Jens

·
Registered
52 Posts
Sounds very nice about the warranty being valid here in the EU. But there is still the VAT/customs problem. If you buy a TH AE100 from ********** its 1389 $ plus vat (25% i DK) plus customs. It all sums up to about 1900 $. If you buy it form Germany its about 1750 $.

Now the problem is to find out how to get it past customs unnoticed?

Cheers,

Lennart

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by lenny100

Now the problem is to find out how to get it past customs unnoticed?
Two ways:

1: Get someone you know in Japan to buy it for you. When they send it to you the chance of paying customs is very small.

2: Talk to the shop you're buying it from about the possibility of not writing the value of the shipment on the package itself. Of course doing this depends on the shop in question.

-Jens

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got the reply.

The guy checked with his head of support to verify what he told me at first. Apparantly we have to get an "international warranty proof". Also this only covers labor for the first 3 months. Parts are covered for 12 months.

This is still quite nice, imho. If the pj runs for 2 months without problems I should thing that the probability of it braking down is very low. The "international warranty" has me a bit worried though. How and if the shops in Japan will even make one, I don't know.

-Jens

·
Registered
174 Posts
********** 1525 Euro incl shipping

import duty 6% if I recall correctly

tax Denmark? Belgium is 21%, I believe tax is higher in Scandinavia.

Totalling 1955 Euro

And you can find the PT-AE100 in Germany for under 1900 Euro

So why risk import?

J-kun

·
Registered
387 Posts
Agreed, I can find the Panasonic for a price that is as good or better than ********** + customs- and shipping fees. Which is obviously a good thing, Panasonic isn't gouging those of us living in some parts of the world.

Not so when it comes to other projectors though, the price differences between countries on some brands are absolutely shameful, making us do things like import from halfway around the planet...

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Jkun

So why risk import?

J-kun
Well, if you know someone in Japan who can buy it for you and ship it to you as a "gift", then importing is a very attractive alternative.

-Jens

·
Registered
174 Posts
Well that depends...

On your customs agent's mood.

It's a fairytale that 'gifts' pass through customs without taxation. In fact, since "gift" does not describe the product inside, it often falls under the highest import duty.

With "gift" on that big a box, you're sure to have them open it. With no invoice inside, they'll estimate value - which is always higher than real value.

You have to look at it this way: customs works for the state, and its job is to collect as much money as legally possible. They're not some neutral referee.

You'd better have friends with the customs as well as a friend in Japan.

J-kun

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.