AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, thanks for all the info on this forum. First of all, I really have scoured this website and read everything I can get my hands on but a question remains:

1. To set the custom resolution (Li On's) for the ae100, my 7500 AIW won't "stick" on the 856x480 resolution I specify in Powerstrip.

- When I select 856x480 and then click "Advanced Timing Options," then say that I want to configure the "Selected" resolution, the display goes blank for a while, then reverts back to 800x600. (This also happens when I click "Apply" in Pstrip.)

2. So, can I get this Wide VGA resolution just through Powerstrip, or do I have to go through registry editing detailed in the Radeon guide?

That's it, that's my big question of the day for all of those legions of 7500/ae100 owners out there.

Thanks!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Not sure, but try getting 856x480 thru Windows Display properties, w/o PowerStrip running.

It could be an 856x480 timing problem, or it could be the resolution itself is rejected by the driver.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
You don't say which OS but I will assume XP.

The sticking depends on the drivers you use. If it won't stick then you have to load powerstrip at startup to force the resolution. Or you can just use the 6071 drivers add the custom resolution through powerstrip and not worry about using powerstrip at startup.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks DRS,

Yes, I am running XP.

Ok, I downloaded the 6071 drivers, but the 856x480 still won't 'stick' when I'm in the Powerstrip configure window.

However, are you saying that if I click on "custom resolutions" and save an 856x480 resolution there my video card will take it?

Also, how do I force Powerstrip to load at startup, as you mentioned?

And finally, based on these responses, I'm assuming that I don't have to deal with all of the crazy registry editing things mentioned in the Radeon Guide, is that true?

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Working backwards....

With powerstrip you don't have to mess with the registry.

Yes you need to add the [email protected] resolution--it will ask you to reboot.

You add a resolution by selecting display profiles then configure then advanced timing options then custom resolutions, add the apropriate values and click add new resolution, and finally reboot.

The load at startup option is under options->preferences (if you choose the powerstrip route you will also want to make sure that the 'restore settings on start-up' box is selected right below the startup box)

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Hi guldo,

Maybe you need to manually select a widescreen monitor for XP such as the Sony W900.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi all,

So, big problem!!

I'm so happy that I got some help about Powerstrip. I was all set to implement the saving of a custom configuration, etc. as suggested by the heavy hitters who have responded to this thread, but then I decided to do a test:

- I basically got sick of all the mess I had made and decided to completely re-install XP, reformatting and erasing everything (reboot from DVD drive).

- To do this, I took out my 7500 AIW and installed a cheap Radeon 32MB generic. I also have my HTPC just plugged into my old CRT monitor, not ae100 for debug.

- After everything was done and clean and hunky dory, I shut down and re-installed my 7500 AIW card.

Disaster! Still garbled mess! Illegible to the point where I can't even go in to fix anything.

I assume I somehow caused this mess when I was trying to set the ae100 Powerstrip settings earlier, BUT, since I re-installed XP and reformatted and everything, and the card is still displaying crap, does this mean I fried the card itself?!

Is that even possible? But, I mean, all the old drivers/pstrip/whatever other SW problems should be gone right? (To be clear, this is all without installing any drivers whatsoever.)

So, basically, is it possible I irreparably screwed my card; if not, how do I get out of this jam? Thanks!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, a quick clarification:

The frying out of my monitor happened also BEFORE I reinstalled XP. I cried about this in an earlier post. Then, the problem miraculously fixed itself, hence I started this post about how to set pstrip/ae100 correctly. But now it's happening again.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've seen that happen before, and though I don't know what causes it, it is not a hardware problem. As I recall (this was with a 7500 under XP), everytime Windows would detect the Radeon, it would load something that gave a completely corrupted screen in 16 colors.

If you can boot up in safe/VGA mode, force Windows to assign the VGA driver to the adapter in device manager, and then run the ATI driver Setup program after rebooting.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Ashley,

Thanks for the tip, good to know it might not be a hardware problem. The weird thing is, it is not a regular problem, which makes debugging such a chore!

So, this morning, it worked fine, then I started reinstalling the drivers, and when I got to the TV capture WDM or whatever (since I have an AIW), it freaked again.

When it freaks, I can't get to safe mode cause I can't see anything.

Here's the thing, when I use another Radeon 7500 on loan :) everything works fine. Crazy.

So, the only debugging things I can see in my future are:

1. Install the AIW in another computer and see what happens.

2. Try to assign VGA driver in safe mode with second card, turn off, replace card with AIW, turn on, and see what happens?

3. Give up, sell the AIW, and keep the 7500 or go lower tech with 7200.

At the end of my rope I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.