Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I'm really ticked off.

I sent my projector back on the 22nd of May following [email protected] Japan's instructions. It gets there on the 25th and apparently the shipping form had a mistake on the phone number for Price Japan - phone number which they needed to contact the company's "broker" -person in charge to file paperwork in order to release my AE100 from Japanese customs. Fedex contacts me back on the 29th or 30th and they get the right number from me. On the 30th, PJ's broker is contacted and now 6 days later, they still haven't done what's necessary to release my projector from customs.:mad:

I've sent a few emails to PJ with tracking info and everything, so they could do something on their end: no answer. I'm really irritated by all the delays and silent treatment from Price Japan. i have a mind to call them on the phone directly and find out why they are not taking care of things a little better than this!

Anyway, I'm just venting and rather disappointed all around. Especially that I didn't get to enjoy my projector that much before it failed.

Thanks for listening.

http://www.fedex.com/cgi-bin/trackin...s=834387377992

·
Registered
94 Posts
Joshua,

This is a sad story.

I have sat on the sidelines... i'm waiting another 2 - 3 weeks .. until the new batch of AE100's arrive. I've learned to NEVER order the first set of anything that releases.... new cars , new PC components. Wait for people to have horror stories like this, and people like PJ will learn what to do and what not to do ... so usually wave 2 doesn't have those same kinds of issues.

So i feel bad for you that you had this unsightly situation arrise. But i hope this reiterates the "bandwagon" thought process.. Never buy the first run of anything. Wait .... it's worth the time.

I'm most sorry to hear that you didn't get much time prior to i'm assuming the red LED of death. That sucks. but i guess it gives you more to anticipate ?

-Eradan

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for commiserating, Eradan.

Just got an email response from Kaneda, after the not so happy one I just sent them today after speaking to Fedex:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by EradanPHX
Joshua,

I have sat on the sidelines... i'm waiting another 2 - 3 weeks .. until the new batch of AE100's arrive.

-Eradan
Eradan,

When is the next batch to arrive? Is this according to PJ?

Joshua

Urg ... I would think PJ could get this solved in matter of minutes - but it sounds like they're pretty busy ... sorry to hear it .... in the words from the movie "Vanilla Sky" ... the bitter only makes the sweets ... sweeter ...

hk29

·
Registered
10 Posts
I couldn't be more depressed to read about this. My defective unit left the U.S. two days ago and I haven't heard anything yet. I PRAY that mine is not sitting next to yours in projector pergatory!!!

Good luck with yours...I'm starting to wish I would have just waited another month and bought a US model from ritzav...ah, well.....at this point, I just want my projector back!! Watching this dinky little 50" RPTV is killing me!!!

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: AE100 out of customs today.

Recap: Arrived on 5-25; Fedex/customs couldn't get in touch with Price Japan until 5-30 ; Price Japan "couldn't" get AE100 released until today (consider 2 weekends in between, though); Kaneda has been quite responsive to my emails lately.

No hard feelings. I know stuff happens and red tape can slow down even the most efficient organizations... Let's see how long it takes to get it back (repair or replacement? A repair would take longer but "should" guarantee the LED of Death would not happen again... A replacemen is fine, if it's from a new series of AE100 produced AFTER Panasonic became aware of the issue).

Will keep you guys posted. ^_^

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The good news for those coming after me, thoug, is that now Price Japan should be able to deal with delay issues a little bit better, since they told me what happened to me was a first.

Good luck to you all. ^_^

·
Registered
248 Posts
Joshua,

Do you know at all if Panasonic has verified a design flaw and now has corrected it in the next series of manufactured pjs? Maybe then you can ask for a new pj from this batch.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No, I don't know anything about that. I'm only assuming at this point; my guess is, we know, therefore they must know. I'm sure an official "defect disclosure" wouldn't be good business. It's too bad there wasn't a genius among us to discover a simple cheap fix which would save us money and time (as with the Skyworth 1050 DVD player).

Buyng the AE100 was an adventure in itself -so the adventure continues ^_^ .

I am however going to ask Kaneda @PJ to ask for an AE100 that has been checked for this "LED" issue. What do I have to lose?

Quote:
Originally posted by elgaic
Joshua,

Do you know at all if Panasonic has verified a design flaw and now has corrected it in the next series of manufactured pjs? Maybe then you can ask for a new pj from this batch.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Joshua,

While you're at it, you might as well ask Kaneda-san if Panasonic ever determined root cause for the LED issue. I'm sure he's receiver several returns with the LED issue and I'm sure he may know something.

Whether he wants to reveal it is another story.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lates update: Kaneda stays on top of things!

The keep me as a customer, no doubt (12HT? :rolleyes: ) .

·
Registered
5,789 Posts
Whats all this about defective LCD's? I was getting ready to order mine in the next few days but havent heard anything about bad lcd's.... Is the problem fixed now or is it still a problem?

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
No one has proved a defect across the line...some have failed in similar ways and taken this as something necessitating a mass recall. No one even know why exactly it is failing, so I think it is hard to say there is an identified problem.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Not LCD, LED! It's been called the "LED of death" or something like that. A few have had to return their PJ for warranty repair/replacement when their AE100 started to shut down and not project an image at all after that, due to an apparent overheating problem within the PJ. Not so when it happens right away after you turn on the PJ... A sensor defect or something, perhaps...

Quote:
Originally posted by jagouar
Whats all this about defective LCD's? I was getting ready to order mine in the next few days but havent heard anything about bad lcd's.... Is the problem fixed now or is it still a problem?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Latest Update 6-14: The dealer will replace my AE100. Things are going fast now - thanks [email protected]!

Shipping (DHL, insurance and double boxed) is kinda steep, though: $148!

Hopefully this is the last time I have to return it.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Update 6-15: Shipped! (15+ hours ago in Japan). New unit should be in by Tuesday or Wednesday: less than 1 week after Kaneda received it in his hands.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Kind of a blow-by-blow, but I'm in the modd for it: my DHL tracking info :

Date Time Location Service Area Checkpoint Details

------------------------------------------------------------------------

June 15, 2002 11:15 Â* Tokyo - Japan Â* Shipment picked up

June 15, 2002 20:16 Â* Tokyo - Japan Â* Departed from DHL facility in Tokyo - Japan

June 15, 2002 22:07 Â* Los Angeles-Gateway, CA - USA Â* Clearance processing complete at Los Angeles-Gateway, CA - USA

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

This kinda blows me away... That means I should get a new AE100 by Monday or at the latest Tuesday. ^_^

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Final (hopefully) update: New AE100 received 6-18 (about 4 weeks turnaround, despite customs delay).

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
Glad to see you finally got your projector.

Btw,how did they finally prove to FedEx that the unit is made in Japan?Did they end up opening it?

Thanks,

Shawn

·
Registered
6,326 Posts
Joshua,

Let us all know as soon as possible if your panny works fine.

I have been following this thread for some time to see how Price Japan operates.

I hope everything works out for you.

Craig

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.