AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered an AE100 from Japan on Monday and today (Wednesday) it arrived.

I bought a 5' x 10' sheet of the Parkland Plastic material for the screen. This would allow a screen width of 106" (16:9). However, the screen door effect seemed objectionable when displayed (on a wall for the time being) at this size. It looked pretty good at a width of about 90.

The AE100 has not been set up yet and I was feeding it a composite signal.

I assume when I drive it with an optimized HTPC, the screen door effect will remain the same.

So my question is this: Will the PQ improvements with an HTPC allow me to go with a larger screen size, or will the screen door effect force me to go with the smaller screen size? (I think I know the answer but thought someone with experience with both the AE100 and the Parkland material may be able to relate their experiences.)

Thanks,

- Jim

·
Registered
226 Posts
jsalk,

I am no expert, but did you try it on the wall at 90"? I guess it is better to have a nice *smaller* smooth picture than one not that much bigger and pixelated. What do you feel more comfortable with? Screen door is objectionable. My 2 cents.

--neog

·
Registered
274 Posts
I have similar sized screen (90"x51") made out of curtain blackout material (vinyle side used for the screen), and am getting pretty good results with it. The screen door is definitely there but if you sit more than 1.6x screen width away, it should be bearable. So the size of your screen is limited by your room setup, but smaller screen would give you a better picture, but then you lose the cinematic effect...

Feeding the unit a composite signal does not do the PJ justice, at a minium you should drive it with a progressive scan player via the VGA input, HTPC would be ideal of course. You must set the PC Priority to W480 or W720 when using the VGA input as many have mentioned. Give it a try.

My setup:

Skyworth 1050P VGA out

HTPC with Radeon card, Win2K, PowerDVD XP

Cheapo 10' VGA cable

AE100 set to W480 (Skyworth), W720 (HTPC)

·
Premium Member
7,440 Posts
Along with the above advice of setting the PC PRIORITY to WIDE and connecting via the VGA port, you should try the Hoya FLD filter and be sure to defocus the picture too. That is the best way that ae100 users find will reduce or minimize screen door. Once you have done that, my advice is to do this. Do as good a job as possible at making the largest TEMPORARY screen you can out of the parkland plastic and set it up. Project your ae100 and mask a bit if you have to. Sit where you normally sit and test it out. To get the picture how you want it, with the least screen door, either alter your set-up by moving your viewing position back, or make the picture smaller. Keep adjusting the setup until you find that you like the picture. Perhaps in your setup you can't move back at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.