AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I've been living with my AE200 for about a month now. I really love it, I just have one concern. Does the power supply whine get on anyone elses nerves?

The fan noise is bearable, but the power supply seems to be emitting a really obnoxious noise while running. It doesn't seem to have anything to do with what the projector is displaying, it occurs even with all the inputs unplugged.

Today, I stopped by radioshack to the 3 prong plug some people have recommended, but it didn't help at all, the noise is still there.

Any ideas what I can do about it? Does it sound like a hardware problem? Dirty AC power? If so, what can be done?

I plan to build a hush box when I mount it from my ceiling, but right now it's about 4 feet away on a coffee table.

Thanks for any help!

-datapace

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
datapace,

Not sure about what the problem is, but it definitely sounds like a faulty unit based on your description. The AE300 (and I'm sure the same goes for the AE200) is whisper quiet in low lamp mode. I was watching a movie with the AE300 in low lamp mode and about 8" from my left ear last night and I couldn't really hear it (unless I really tried). I sometimes worry that the fan might not be turning at all :). The PSU should not make any noise whatsoever.

Xander

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have about 40 hours on my AE200 and haven't heard anything like a whine coming from my projector. Sounds like a faulty unit to me.

--Burke

·
Registered
21 Posts
My AE200 has a bit of a whine when I first turn it on - but it lasts only 2-3 seconds. I'll have to keep an eye on it.

I'm creeping up on 100 hours and I have heard it is recommended that I clean the filter? (If I could only figure out how.)

You might try it too - who knows? It may release a component that was pinched against a fan rotor or something?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Michael,

I have the AE200 and with about 50-60 hours, had already cleaned my filter once.

I think I have a read a couple of ways to do it, but the easiest and safest I think is just to:

1. Turn unit off! (even the switch on the side, not off with the red light on)

2. Gently flip the unit upside down (I guess unless your unit is ceiling mounted and is already upside down...)

3. There a little pull out panel on the bottom on the air intake side of the projector, near the front (by the lens).

4. Pull this out and you should have a little filter with the pull-out tab.

5. I vaccummed the filter with a hose attachment on my vaccum while carefully holding the foam against the pull-tab so that the filter doesn't get accidentally sucked up into the vaccum.

6. Put the filter back in.

As for the whine, I guess I notice a whine, but I'm not sure if it's the fan "whirring"-whine or an electrical power one, more like the one you have mentioned. I haven't had any problems though, and it doesn't really bother me...(I have it, currently, set on low lamp power with high fan setting).

William

·
Registered
134 Posts
Michael,

I have the AE200 and with about 50-60 hours, had already cleaned my filter once.

I think I have a read a couple of ways to do it, but the easiest and safest I think is just to:

1. Turn unit off! (even the switch on the side, not off with the red light on)

2. Gently flip the unit upside down (I guess unless your unit is ceiling mounted and is already upside down...)

3. There a little pull out panel on the bottom on the air intake side of the projector, near the front (by the lens).

4. Pull this out and you should have a little filter with the pull-out tab.

5. I vaccummed the filter with a hose attachment on my vaccum while carefully holding the foam against the pull-tab so that the filter doesn't get accidentally sucked up into the vaccum.

6. Put the filter back in.

As for the whine, I guess I notice a whine, but I'm not sure if it's the fan "whirring"-whine or an electrical power one, more like the one you have mentioned. I haven't had any problems though, and it doesn't really bother me...(I have it, currently, set on low lamp power with high fan setting).

William

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.