AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an RP82 and AE300 combo using component inputs. The RP82 is setup with 16:9 enabled and yet...more often than not, a display comes on shortly after the DVD disk has been read stating:

" Source has a 4:3 aspect ratio" ???

Now I know that a great many DVD disk's are 4:3 but it seems that this display is happening more and more frequently and with disk's that I'm pretty convinced are 16:9.

What could be causing this ? Or am I just getting paranoid ?

Any words of comfort/wisdom gratefully received

·
Registered
103 Posts
Which DVDs are you using? I have an RP56 and I have watched a bunch of 4:3 DVDs, Buffy and Angel box sets and I have never seen this message. I usually have the Projector in 16:9 setting and I have to manually switch it to 4:3 to view the DVDs correctly.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Lots of times the DVD menus are in 4:3 even if the movie itself is in 16:9. I usually see the same message you do, but I've always attributed it to the menu being displayed.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I get this all the time too. I have an XP30 and a PT-L300U.

It only seems to show up when the DVD is first started (I think, anyway), so my guess is that the Menu or opening warnings, etc. are recorded in 4:3 aspect. The movie plays fine in 16:9 aspect.

Ken

EDIT: Oops, I see mpjohnst replied pretty much the same thing.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Yes, I have a RP-82 and L300U too.

I only see me message on component and it appears to be generated by the DVD player (it's the same format as other displays on the DVD player).

My guess is it is the DVD players way of telling you what formate the source material is so you can select the right aspect ratio.

The S-video can sened a signal so displays can automatically switch (the S1/S2 aspect ratio on the s-video input), but the component signal doesn't have a way to send a signal like this, so the little popup message is to let you know that the source is 4:3.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.