AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a newbie and ready to jump of the fence and get an AE300. Before I do I want to have a couple of issues clarified or expanded on by some of the "experts" that own AE3000s.

1. I have read in other threads that by adjusting a flicker setting, some type of artifacts are drastically reduced. Is this true?

2. So far no 1:1 pixel mapping scheme has been found. How does HD material look on the unit?

3. I am in the process of getting a Da-lite HCMW screen. Will this be the best screen material for viewing the AE3000?

Any other buyers remorse from current owners? I was almost ready to spend another $500 for the HS-10, but can't justify the added cost, especially since I plan on watching mostly DVDs and Directv sports. Maybe in the future I will watch HD material when it is more available in a couple of years, that is when I will upgrade to the AE4000 : )

Thanks for all the support, this forum is awesome!

-Glenn

·
Registered
232 Posts
have you considered the z1 by sanyo? the specs are about the same near as i can tell yet it's cheaper. if anyone out there has done a shootout with the two i'm all ears.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Z1 vs. AE3000, for the extra couple of hundred dollars or so, I think the smooth screen technology is worth it, as long as they are fairly equal in most other aspects.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gtv
I1. I have read in other threads that by adjusting a flicker setting, some type of artifacts are drastically reduced. Is this true?

Any other buyers remorse from current owners?

-Glenn
Glenn

To answer your subject line.....no, the artifact problem is not solved. Yes, it is somewhat reduced.....but not eliminated.

Buyers remorse??? Far from it!!! Whatever the opposite of buyers remorse is, that is what I have. 100+ hours later and it still gives me goosebumps!!

Jason

·
Registered
650 Posts
The flicker tweak is great and noticeably reduced the scanlines for me (thanks for the dedicated thread on it, Jason!). However, as Jason mentioned the scanlines are still visible. The brighter your image, the more noticeable they become. With a white screen and the lamp on high, the image is incredibly vibrant and beautiful, but before the tweak the scanlines were unbearable with this setip (my personal opinion, others weren't bothered by them much). Putting the lamp on low helped a little but not much. After the tweak, the scanlines are tolerable with the lamp on high, and fairly hard to find with the lamp on low. I watched some anime with the lamp on high last night and it looked Incredible! Awesome! I imagine that's how the $11K plasma display at Best Buy might look IF they ever fed it a decent signal (except 35" smaller on the diagonal) ;)

Also, some people still don't seem to know this, so plaese take note: THE SCANLINE ARTIFACT IS A PROBLEM WITH ALL LCD'S, NOT JUST THE AE300 (though no one seems to be describing if/how much the artifact varies between pj models) I confirmed this with my workplace's Sharp XGA LCD projector. The scanlines looked a little worse than my post-tweak ae300, and of course colors/contrast weren't even in the same league, not to mention the screendoor. Low contrast/low brightness/ flat colors/screendoor may help camoflage the scanlines on lesser machines from a distance.

I totally love the image the ae300 puts out now that the tweak has been discovered. To be honest though, it boggles my mind that people on this forum complain about screendoor to no end, yet the scanline artifact to me represents a larger problem with LCD and we hear relatively little about it (except from the likes of Li On and a few others who have actually seen many LDC pj's). How can you see screendoor and NOT see scanlines on any lcd?? People who do not complain about screendoor are the only ones excused from having a typed 10-page, logical, cohesive resposonse to this on my desk by 7PM :D

Mike U.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Not a lot that I can add to this discussion, other than I'm also mighty impressed by the PQ on this projector right out of the box. Also, remember to throw away the supplied component cables and get a decent set - it will result in a sharper image with better blacks. I believe you are right that nobody has been able to get 1:1 pixel mapping yet. The smooth screen technology is to be seen to be believed - it is awsome! Order one right away! :)

·
Registered
418 Posts
Another happy owner with 65 hours on the AE300. I agree with mulveling completely, the scanline artifact can be found in all LCD projectors. I confirmed this two days ago when I saw a Sony VW-12HT on a Grayhawk screen. It did show the scanline artifact quite clearly.

If this is of any help, I actually prefer the saturated colors and no screendoor on my AE300- Parkland Plastics screen than what I saw of the 12HT-Grayhawk setup. The contrast was better on the other setup but I would not change that from the color saturation I get with the AE300. The only other instance that I recall being as impressed with a projector was in a Madrigal Demo I attended a few months ago. Then again, we are talking of a $26K D-ILA projector on a $3K screen .......

·
Registered
26 Posts
> 3. I am in the process of getting a Da-lite HCMW screen. Will this be the > best screen material for viewing the AE3000?

DO NOT BUY HCMW screens. Just take a look at the several threads on the new Da-lite fabric and see what other buyers have to say. I will poast my own impressions with px very soon. But this new fabric seems to have a lot of problems due to waves and wrinkles on the Model B & C screens

HTPC_MADNESS

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
HTPC_MADNESS,

I'm hoping that Da-Lite is just having some learning pains with the new material. Someone just get a flat one on their 3rd attempt. Mine has some waves that look like the fabric was folded and I'm hoping they have just learned that they can't do that at any phase in the construction. I'll probably be sending it back and getting another one.

--Darin

·
Registered
55 Posts
I really echo what you guys said about the AE300. It really beats HS10, Z1 from what I saw in a show yesterday. The flicker tweak helps and I didn't noticed much scanline after that. The smooth technology really works and to me it's a bit better than the higher res HS10 in terms of screen door. The vertical band of HS10 was really bad as I mentioned in another thread. I also saw AE300 feeding thru DVI from HTPC and I really said "wow" when I first saw it. I really hope some genius can find out the 1:1 pixel mapping setting on this unit like AE100 soon. It'll then really make my jaw drop... Anyway, my current winner is alreadt AE300 unless the HS10 can really be tweaked out the problems that I saw: vertical band, color/contrast and the black level details..

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
OSxyz,

>>It really beats HS10, Z1 from what I saw in a show yesterday

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I have been using an AE100 and a 65" Toshiba HDTV RPTV. Today I changed to the AE300. Wow! Big difference. I hooked it up DVD Component -->AA Transcoder --> VGA (was already installed) --> AE300 onto a 106" Dalite. Viewing distance 1.5 to 1.75 screen width. I'm extremely happy now. I instantly tweeked the flicker, screwed on the Hoya filter, defocused a bit (I have 20:10 vision so it needed softening),. Nice! Viewing DVD: Very good blacks, very very minimal screendoor (or actually horizontal artifact common to LCD) only because I have the 20:10 and a JVC progressive DVD (Pany RP-82 in the mail!). Sharp colors, detailed dark images. It does have some of that minimally smeary or dirty surface layer common to LCD. I honestly didn't expect an LCD to be this good. By the way, the Hoya works well on this AND it actually screws in! I think the AE300 is very quiet, even compared to the already quiet AE100. It's very tweakable (easy to use service menu, gama control, many settings, etc.). It also leaks out less light than the previous AE100.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the great advice! I'm off the fence now and ordered the projector yesterday!!! Now I can't wait to get it!!!! Couple of other questions for owners.

1. If the HCMW screen material from dalite is not the best choice for viewing the AE3000, what would you suggest for an alternative Da-lite screen material?

2. I also am getting a panasoic RP-62 DVD player with the projector. Should I just stay with component cables or should I buy a transcoder and convert to VGA? I will upgrade to better quality component cables.

3. Any suggestions for improving Directv signals into the projector? I may down the road buy a video processor for this or I am thinking of diving into the HTPC world. Any advice or comments?

Thanks again to everyone, this forum is great!

-Glenn (new owner of a PT-300Lu!)

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobZ
I instantly tweeked the flicker, screwed on the Hoya filter, defocused a bit (I have 20:10 vision so it needed softening),. Nice! By the way, the Hoya works well on this AND it actually screws in!
What is the Hoya filter? What does it do, how much is it? :confused:

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
"This filter cuts down some of the light output and reduces green in favour of red. It may sound dodgy, but the results are excellent. Perceived contrast and colour balance are much improved, and I find the image looks a lot more "filmic". The thread size to get is 55mm. "

This was from a review of the AE100 at: http://www.markgoldie.co.uk/hc/hc3.html

It actually screws into the AE300 (on the AE100 it didn't). I believe it is 55mm (do search on this forum to double check)

They are sold here (among other places)
http://www.warehousephoto.com/hoyafl-d.htm

·
Registered
92 Posts
For my screen I got the HC DaMat material. After looking at several screens and tweaking with each I have gone back and forth between the HCMW and the HC Damat. The HCMW gives you more of an instant WOW factor but the Gray material does help in the long run with contrast and black levels. Also the scanlines are a little less noticeable.

Henry

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Why did I not see the "scan-line" peak-a-boo screen door once when viewing an AE100 running interlaced DVD through an iscan into the AE100's VGA port. I never saw a single artifact and I looked so hard I thought my brain would explode. I can't recall once seeing any artifacts at all. All I ever saw was a bit of screendoor when sitting close.

People are saying the scan-line artifact is seen on all LCD's but why didn't I see it on the AE100? Is it only present on the ones with higher than native DVD resolution ??

·
Registered
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobZ
"This filter cuts down some of the light output and reduces green in favour of red. It may sound dodgy, but the results are excellent. Perceived contrast and colour balance are much improved, and I find the image looks a lot more "filmic". The thread size to get is 55mm. "

This was from a review of the AE100 at: http://www.markgoldie.co.uk/hc/hc3.html

It actually screws into the AE300 (on the AE100 it didn't). I believe it is 55mm (do search on this forum to double check)

They are sold here (among other places)
http://www.warehousephoto.com/hoyafl-d.htm
Great! Thanks for the info. The examples look very nice. And for once, the enhancement is very inexpensive!

Do you have the filter installed when you calibrate the PJ?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by cpc
People are saying the scan-line artifact is seen on all LCD's but why didn't I see it on the AE100?

Because the spacing between the pixels is so big on the AE100, the scanlines are hidden. Hey, that is a plus for the AE100!!

Jason

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gtv
2. I also am getting a panasoic RP-62 DVD player with the projector.
GTV.

I traded up my RP62 for the RP82 (only $25 difference) and the improvment in PQ is dramatic! Lots of adjustments, DVD-A, and what is rumored to be the best MPEG decoder today.

Something to think about while you are waiting for your PJ.....congrats!!

Jason

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.