AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JUST AS THE TITLE STATES.... should i go with the ae300 or sanyo z1? My seating distance will be anywheres from 14-20 feet.... im planning a 106" daig screen....

Will i see these horizontal scaling artifacts everyone keeps noticing on the ae300 also on the sanyo?

ALSO...if anyone can email me and let me know where in the usa I can get a sanyo z1 and what price they go for would be appreciated!

thanks

·
Registered
778 Posts
Do you want to spend $1500 or $2000? If you only have 1500 get the Z1 :). Click "Studio Experience" button above. They have the Matinee 1HD, the same projector in black, and are an AVS sponsor.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im willing to goto 2000 if its that much better.. I keep hearing the fan noise on the sanyo is very annoying... Yet, the ae300 seems to have some strange digital artifact problem here and there...

Which of these units will handle dtv svideo feed better? would there be a noticable difference between the two?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im willing to goto 2000 if its that much better.. I keep hearing the fan noise on the sanyo is very annoying... Yet, the ae300 seems to have some strange digital artifact problem here and there...

Which of these units will handle dtv svideo feed better? would there be a noticable difference between the two?

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oingoman
I keep hearing the fan noise on the sanyo is very annoying...
The Sanyo Z1 has two power modes. In low power mode the fan noise is quiet and absolutly not distracting.

Deinterlacing on both machines is below average. Maybe with the difference price you can get an IscanPro to solve motion artifacts.

The scaler on the Sanyo Z1 is excellent.

Otherwise, get the Piano Avanti which has reference video circuitry. But it's another budget...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm trying to decide between these two as well. Is the AE300 worth the extra $500? What advantage does it have over the Z1? Which would be better for playing computer games on? What about DVDs?

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
the biggest "advantage" the ae300 has over the Z1 seems ot be the smoothscreen technology they have going. Other than that, I see lamp hours as being the only other real advantage.

IMO, both projectors seem pretty equal.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The smooth screen technology alone, IMO, is worth the extra $500. I cannot stress enough how well it works.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I also have an AE300 and I agree completely with Xander about the smooth screen technology. The color saturation on this PJ is also amazing. Check out the Seattle projector shootout threads and clawdaddy reviews on this forum for plenty of additional detailed information.

·
Registered
384 Posts
How are these two projectors at showing HDTV? I've read that both machines aren't as "sharp" with HDTV as they are with DVD. I own the Dish 6000 which has a RGB VGA port out for HDTV. Whichever one seems to be the best at showing HD is the one I will buy. My wife won't let me spend the extra $$$ for the HS10. The waiting is killing me!!!

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
For the Z1, people claiming HDTV was fuzzy versus DVD was because they were comparing the component inputs to the VGA one. I know in Li On's review, he said using a transcoder for HDTV to VGA improved the picture a lot, up to expected clarity.

On the AE100, component is also fuzzier than VGA inputs. I don't think it would be out of line to guess the AE300 might have the same "feature" :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
We ran D-VHS through my AE300 and everybody felt that the HD picture was sharper, but not as sharp as the projectors that can display 720 or higher.

As said above, the Smooth Screen technology is really awesome! The day that a mfr. make a 720x1280 LCD projector with Smooth Screen, it will be the day that I replace my AE300. Until then, I will just have to *settle* for my AE300/RP82 combo.

As for the scanline artifact, I can see it at less than 1.0 screenwidth....but at 1.5x, I can't see it even when I am looking for it. Even then it happens very seldom.

Jason

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.