AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
if you were buidling a custom room/screen etc (which i am)and could do what you wanted..........

what do you reckon would be they ideal screen size/sitting distance?

bearing in mind the pj's limitations...screen door/resolution etc

im currently thinking of a 7ft screen and sitting about 13ft away

but could go bigger and move seating back or closer etc.

as i need to position speakers and build screen prior to pj arriving this info would be of great use

thanks

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I have the ae300/PT-L300U and have a 12-foot (145") diagonal 16:9 screen and I wouldn't want it any smaller. It looks phenomenal!

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have a 9-foot-wide screen @ about 13 1/2 feet distance. I'm also running the 300U with the NDx2/CC05M filter combo. The image could stand to be a tad brighter (which it would be, minus the filters and maybe being put into high/normal lamp mode), but otherwise it looks great. I just can't have any strong lighting in the room or the pic just disappears.

I was originally going to go with a 7 foot wide screen at the 13+ feet, but after seeing no objectionable problems with a 9ft image, I went with the bigger one.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Dustin B

If allowed, I might have gone as large at 110" diagonal with a 13-14' viewing distance.
That's my EXACT setup. 110" diagonal, 14' viewing distance. I think it's perfect. Of course my kids often sit on the floor at 8-10' viewing distance, but that's way too close for me.

Richard

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am also using a 1.85:1 screen with 126" diagonal. I'm using a plain old DIY parkland plastics screen. Tried the filters mentioned above and wasn't happy with the drop in brightness.

First seating distance is 14ft and second seating row at 19ft. It is absolutely perfect and looks sensational - whether with HDTV or DVD!!!!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by smarano
Just curious, Richard. What is your projector's THROW distance (not your viewing distance).
FYI, the PT-L300U manual lists these numbers (numbers modified to give inches)

Screen Diagonal: SD

Screen Width: SW=SDx0.872

Screen Height: SH=SDx0.490

Minimum Projection Distance: LW=1.229xSD-1.5"

Maximum Projection Distance: LT=1.481xSD-1.5"

Image Lower Edge from Lens Center: H1=SW/32

These numbers are the distance from the front of the lens to the screen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.