Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi!

hoping someone can answer this...

is a component to vga transcoder needed (to optimize pq) on the AE300 (as it was with the AE100)?

in other words, is the image via transcoder (via vga) better than that with simple component cables (as is is on the AE100)...

thanks!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I'm currently driving my AE300 from a Pioneer interlaced DVD player via component cables. The supplied component cables sucked, but replacing it with Acoustic Research component cables made a big difference (sharpness and blacks). I mainly play PAL DVDs but NTSC DVDs also look good (tried Apocolypse Now Redux R1 the other night).

The AE300 manual states that 625i via component gives AA quality which indicates to me that a transcoder is not needed. But this is only if you're using PAL DVDs. I did initially find that the PQ, when connecting to my Compaq notebook at 1024x768 via VGA, was better than my DVD player, but with the new component cables that is not really the case anymore.

At this point I think that you do not require a transcoder and that the component input is good enough. Maybe someone that has actually tested with a transcoder can shed more light.

·
Registered
746 Posts
I know with the AE200 (and 100), you got more picture (less cropping) if you used the VGA input as opposed to the component input.

That may be a factor, although it could also be a non-issue on the AE300.

·
Registered
283 Posts
No, there is some cropping using the component inputs of the AE300. I was very surprised to see very little pq difference between iscan-VGA and interlaced-component. Seems that the scaler/deinterlacing is pretty good with this projector.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.