AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please visit this other thread for more info and opinions. It's thread subject changed direction and many felt it would be beneficial to create a new thread for fixing/reducing the scanline artifact.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=197189

Here is how you do it:

--Enter menu and select "Options".

--With "OSD" highlighted (defalt), press and hold the Enter button on the remote. After a few seconds, you will be taken to the Service menu.

--Select "Flicker".

Now, for some reason, there are separate adjustments for RGB "Desk" and "Ceiling"......I personally changed them all. But all you do is use the remote to adjust the values to increase or decrease the amount of flicker in the test pattern. Just about everyone is reporting lowering the values and that the green screen doesn't completely clean up (most are going with flickering sides than a flickering center). Most are seeing the red to be the farthest off (my case also). Red and blue became completely flicker free.

What did it do for me??? I used two movies....Jurrasic Park (grainy nasty transfer) and SW Episode II (very clean transfer) because I had just recently watched those.

Jurassic Park: It must be because there are a lot of earth-tone colors early in the movie, that for me, is one of the worst movies for showing scanline artifacts. After the adjustments, there was a significant reduction in the visibility of scanlines. Almost like the scanlines have taken on some of the surrounding colors.

SW Episode II: There were a couple of scenes that I distinctly remember producing the artifact. I could rewind the scene and watch it over and over. After the adjustment, there were a couple of scene that had completely cleaned up!!!! No artifacts at all!!!! And just to make sure that I wasn't missing anything, I was doing my viewing at about .75x screenwidth. Screen is DIY blackout cloth. DVD player is the RP82.

After I did the flicker adjustment, I went back and double checked my video settings with Avia......no changes were noted.

So yes, it really does help. And no, it doesn't completely remove the artifact.

Thanks to guys in the other thread for figuring this one out. I think I am going to go watch a movie.

Enjoy

Jason

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Jason (or anyone else),

Any idea whether the scanline artifact is worse, better or the same when switching betw interlaced and progressive scan?

Thanks in advance

Xander

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Jason,

Great to hear this. It's great when you can make your image just a little bit better.

I may start recommending this projector to more people. There is a guy I work with who I showed my M20x to and now he and his wife want a projector (actually he said she would never approve and when he told her about it she insisted on getting one). I think the AE300 would fit his situation better with throw distance and his setup, but he keeps saying he wants something like what I showed him. I'll tell him about these tweaks and see if it makes any difference.

Sounds like you haven't seen any negative affect of doing the adjustment. Is that the case? I thought this projector was a great deal even with the artifact as it was. I guess I still don't get the prices of plasmas and RPTVs with projectors like this out there.

Thanks,

Darin

·
Registered
513 Posts
Jason,

Great news. I did read the other thread but it's great to hear this from you as well. Sounds like your enjoying your projector :cool: I've decided I'm not going to cancel my order and am anxiously looking forward to the first week in January. I'll make sure to get you a copy of the English manual. Gotta get busy building my suspended ceiling component rack and running some cables. Even though Sabrina didn't recognize some of the artifacts that she didn't like as the scan-line problem I know that in least one case it was and I'm very excited to know that I can virtually eliminate this now.

Hey, have you posted any pictures of your theater yet? If not you should. You know I think it turned out great. Simple and classy at the same time.

Darin, almost 1000 posts :eek: Keep it up man! Always good to hear from you. Hope your theater room is coming along nicely as well.

Brent

·
Registered
693 Posts
I've been watching this thread with some interest over the past few days and have a question regarding what has been discussed here and how it pertains to an AE100. I can access the service menu on my AE100 and get four different colored backgrounds (whitish-blue, blue, red, and green), each with four different line patterns (none, vertical lines, horizontal lines, and cross-hatch). As I go through these screens, I at times get what I assume is "flicker". It's not on all the colors and patterns, just some.

Now, I'm to assume that there is no available option on the AE100 to adjust the flicker of each color under the service menu. What can be done to help eliminate the flickering that I am seeing on certain colors and patterns? I just finished adjusting the phase and tracking as per Mark's instructions and patterns. I haven't had the chance to go back in and see if this has helped the problems that I was seeing before.

Is there something else I can do, or have I done as much as I can? BTW, I'm feeding the projector a 720p signal via VGA from my HTPC with an ATI Radeon 64MB DDR VIVO card.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Has anyone figure out if you can do adjustments in the actual service mode menu under extended options menu.

In particular I see some flicker in the pattern with horizontal lines only. It looks exactly like the little flicker that I cannot get out of the green panel on the flicker tests. Is there a way to get more incremental than moving from 71 to another number or is there another way to affect this setting such as moving the projector in a certain position?

Thanks much all

Henry

·
Banned
668 Posts
I thought my AE300 already had a good picture. I did the flicker calibration tonight, and now the "horizontal scanline on vertical motion" artifact is dramatically less, to the point where at 2X I rarely see it anymore.

For some reason, this artifact was especially noticeable in Gladiator (the opening battle scene), but now I hardly notice it.

Another improvement of doing this calibration is that the picture appears "cleaner". For example, I always thought the PQ of the "Contact" DVD was noisy, but now it looks better.

Thank you to Guy Kuo for his observation, and to Xander/LMCid/Mulveling for doing the first calibrations and reporting the results.

I am now totally blown away by how good the picture quality is on the AE300.

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
Does sitting farther away reduce the visibility of the artifact? Is there a distance where the "artifact" is completely absent? Like at 2.0 to 2.5 x screen width away or something similar?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.