Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now considering the Z1 or AE300....

One thing I really like about the Z1 is it's short throw. I calculate that at 8.0' I can project a 16x9 screen between 71 & 86" diagonal.

What is the diagonal 16x9 screen size range at 8.0' for the AE300?

The AE300 is very interesting due to it's Smoothscreen technology. Here is what they claim it does:

// [URL='http://www.ritzav.com/Projectors/smooth_technology.gif%5B/img']www.ritzav.com/Projectors/smooth_technology.gif[/img[/URL] ]

Quote:
[TABLE][TR][TD]Reduces the appearance of the "screen-door" (pixel matrix) effect for a smooth, rich, colorful image! Each pixel is broken down into four sub-pixels by a faceted lens.. these pixels overlap each other making the pixels appear visibly smaller allowing for a very smooth image without the loss of detail.[/TD][/TR][/TABLE]
Taken from: [URL='http://www.ritzav.com/Projectors/Panasonic%20PT-AE300.htm']http://www.ritzav.com/Projectors/Pan...20PT-AE300.htm[/URL]

Another question is which PJ handles non-PS video sources better?

I like the potential bulb life of the AE300...

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Funny thing about those pictures of the SmoothScreen is that it doesn't look anything like what I saw on the AE300 when I had one. I wonder if they got that from Panasonic. I know that they say they split each pixel into 4, but it never looked that simple to me. That example looks more like MLA. I was never able to figure out what Panasonic was doing even after looking up close on a big screen. It does seem to work very well, though.

The AE300 throw ratio is the same as the AE100, so if you find a calculator for that you are set. Also, they have the 80% and 120% optional lenses for another $380 MSRP. When Panasonic's commercial division comes out with their version of the AE300 in the states I don't know which lens they will use. It would be nice if they use something other than the original lens, just to give more options.

--Darin

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
The AE300 throw ratio is the same as the AE100, so if you find a calculator for that you are set. Also, they have the 80% and 120% optional lenses for another $380 MSRP. When Panasonic's commercial division comes out with their version of the AE300 in the states I don't know which lens they will use. It would be nice if they use something other than the original lens, just to give more options.
Thanks for the info! Using the AE100 calculator I would end up with a 70 to 87" screen, about the same as the Z1. That works perfect for me.

Quote:
Funny thing about those pictures of the SmoothScreen is that it doesn't look anything like what I saw on the AE300 when I had one. I wonder if they got that from Panasonic. I know that they say they split each pixel into 4, but it never looked that simple to me. That example looks more like MLA. I was never able to figure out what Panasonic was doing even after looking up close on a big screen. It does seem to work very well, though.
So, screen door was greatly reduced on the AE300? How long did you have one? Why did you get rid of it? I'd appreciate any additional input.

I wonder why Panasonic has changed the model# from PT-AE300u to PT-L300u? They say it was as of Dec. 10, 2002.

·
Registered
474 Posts
There have been some really good up close (12") screenshots of Leelo from the 5th Element superbit DVD. I think it was from the "Seattle shootout" thread. If you search for this or "ae300 screenshots" you should find it.

IMHO, it's BETTER than Panasonic's illustration. :D

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SayersWeb
So, screen door was greatly reduced on the AE300? How long did you have one? Why did you get rid of it? I'd appreciate any additional input.
Here is how I would put the screendoor on the AE300. You know how people slightly defocus to get rid of the screendoor on other projectors. Well, on the AE300 you basically need binoculars or 2 people to get it to the point where there is anything like screendoor. Even then it is hard to call it screendoor, since it looks like little tiny vertical pixels and there is some space between them, but seems a little different than screendoor. Even though there is almost no screendoor the AE300 still has the 'fixed panel noise' that I've seen on all LCDs. This is basically where it looks like there is something static at screen depth while the image moves behind. Some people call this the 'dirty screen effect'.

I basically got rid of it because I have a 116" wide Hi-Power screen and with my M20x I can get a nice depth of image, but with the LCDs I'm seeing nice depth, but there is something in front of it right at the screen that I just want to wipe away. There is almost always a reminder to me that I'm watching a digital image, which I don't see with the M20x with good HD images (I still see it with the compression artifacts from most DVDs). There was also the peak-a-boo scanline issue that it sounds like others have figured out a fix for. If I only had my 92" wide screen in my HT and didn't plan on using one projector as a computer monitor at times I may have kept the AE300 and sold my M20x. As it is I sold the AE300 and will probably buy a 1280x720 DLP or an LCOS projector at some point here. Then I may use the M20x in my bedroom or for taking to other people's houses, etc.

--Darin

·
Registered
650 Posts
Darin is correct in that the ae300's pixel grid doesn't look anything like that picture. I will add that the ae300 has much LESS screendoor than indicated by even their "less screendoor" picture. Amazing that panasonic is under-hyping the technology's effectiveness with those images!

To my eyes, each pixel on the ae300 looks like it is divided in two so that you have two tall, skinny 1/2 width sub-pixels composing each regular pixel. Each subpixel always displays the same color, so youre not getting extra resolution out of this, just less screendoor. Additionally, the lines separating pixels/subpixels are not as thick as indicated in the picture (maybe 1/2 thickness?) and also they are not pure black.

I do think I remember seeing that picture while digging through Panasonic's Japanese website a while back, so it's not like some unknowing 3rd party made it...

Mike U.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, this is sounding pretty good to me. Seems that Darin's main issue is true with any LCD projector. I don't know anything about scanline and will need to research that. I fear screen door after having the HS1 for a few days. It is a biggy for me. I can't seem to find any official reviews of the Smoothscreen feature, but it sounds like it works quite well.

So, can someone convince me that the AE300 (or I guess it is now called the PT-L300) does a good job with non-PS sources? Will the Dish Network feed look less horrid than it did on the HS1 (it was unwatchable)? Is the onboard deinterlacer what handles these duties?

Thanks to all for the help. I got royally burned the first go around, so I am being extra cautious this time. I'm off to do a search on "ae300 screenshots".

·
Registered
418 Posts
I connected a Scientific Atlanta digital cable box (non-HD) to my AE300 through S-Video this weekend to watch the Klitschko-McCline fight. I was surprised to see that the picture came out quite good. I set the PJ to the S4:3 resolution and zoomed the lens all the way. I guess standard Dish should look quite decent also and Dish HD fantastic.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by LMCid
I connected a Scientific Atlanta digital cable box (non-HD) to my AE300 through S-Video this weekend to watch the Klitschko-McCline fight. I was surprised to see that the picture came out quite good. I set the PJ to the S4:3 resolution and zoomed the lens all the way. I guess standard Dish should look quite decent also and Dish HD fantastic.
Ahhh! That's good news.... thanks!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.