AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A quick question on the video settings for the AE300. I noticed it has 4:3, 4:3S, 16:9, 16:9S, and Zoom ( I think I am forgetting on other as well). My question is; what is the difference between 16:9 and 16:9s or 4:3 vs 4:3 S for that matter. Right now my 16:9 view fills up my screen, but my 16:9 S is much smaller. Which one is better ??

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards;

Spike 1

· Registered
455 Posts
I don't know why anyone would use the "S" aspect rations. Maybe if you have a source that looks like crap blown up on the big screen, you could hide it a bit by showing it smaller on the "s" setting

· Registered
513 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by patja
I don't know why anyone would use the "S" aspect rations. Maybe if you have a source that looks like crap blown up on the big screen, you could hide it a bit by showing it smaller on the "s" setting
Exactly, well said. The S modes supposedly bypass the scaler so the image is slightly sharper as well, but also smaller.

Brent

· Registered
269 Posts
Would it just be better to zoom in on the S ratios so the black part falls off the screen, assuming that you have the masking? Or keep it at 16x9 ratio? anybody?

· Registered
513 Posts
No, you lose precious lumens that way with all the blacked out pixels around the smaller image not being part of the active picture. You also are making the pixels larger. Might as well have bought an AE200 if you wanted to do that.

Brent

· Registered
697 Posts
the l200u pixels aren't that much bigger. Plus because of the l300u's smoothscreen technology you can't really see the pixels anyway. I think he should do whatever he thinks works the best.

Brian

· Registered
513 Posts
True. Do what looks best to you. You'll need a lot more than a typical 2 or 3 inch border around your screen though. Plus, zooming will not alter the black above the image, only on the sides and bottom. That's just how the zoom lens works. You could build a mask for that though.

Brent

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.