AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many people have mentioned the DaLite screens, but I haven't heard much mention on Stewart screens. I'm looking for a 106" screen (whenever I get my projector).....and if it makes it look it's best, I'd get a firehawk or greyhawk. Which screen out there is the best for this projector?

·
Registered
650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by dgetson
Many people have mentioned the DaLite screens, but I haven't heard much mention on Stewart screens. I'm looking for a 106" screen (whenever I get my projector).....and if it makes it look it's best, I'd get a firehawk or greyhawk. Which screen out there is the best for this projector?
Well, this is a very subjective question. Picking a screen is really more a function of viewing environment and personal taste than anything else, and I could get into the details about how a screen with a reflective or retro-reflective coating is better if you have to combat ambient light, how a matte screen will give you best uniformity and viewing angle, or how a high power is best if you like it BRIGHT. I could also get into why white screens with good uniformity are my favorite, but I won't. I suggest it would be best if you get lots of screen samples and try them out after you get your pj to get an idea of how your environment and personal tastes will come into play.

Furthermore, I must present my personal optinion that I don't like the idea of getting a firehawk or grayhawk for the ae300. It's not that I don't think they wouldn't present a fine image, it's just that part of what makes the ae300 fun is that at times you get the feeling that you're getting away with a $4-5K image for under $2K. It strikes me as odd to spend over $1K on a screen for a $2K pj (especially when some people prefer a regular white screen to a gray/firehawk), personally I'd much rather invest that in sound. If you can, you may want to consider finding a good used dalite fixed wall frame and pairing it with some new screen material to get a nice wrinkle-free screen for around $400.

Finally, I thought I'd also like the 106" screen size, but now I prefer the brightness an 86" image gives (around 35 foot/lamberts for a 1.0 gain screen, which is brighter than some direct-view sets).

Mike U.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike, you are wise beyond your years! :)

I think I'd rather have a ginormous screen that isn't quite as bright....I mean, heck, it'll still be bright. Just not AS bright.

Let's assume I have a light controlled room with no ambiant light. Would you say a matte screen would be best for a dedicated room for HT?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.