AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had the AE300 for about a month now. The first 3 weeks I was simply projecting on a ever-so-slightly off white wall with a 84" wide screen at about a 100" viewing distance. This was beautiful!!!! At 100" I could RARELY ever see any screendoor and the motion artifact problem was only noticable maybe once during an entire film so it was not a problem!!!!

About a week ago I built a parkland plastics screen that is 80" wide. My viewing distance is still 100" and now screendoor is much more evident. It doesn't look bad at all, but now I can see, as apposed to when I was projecting on the wall and I could hardly ever see it... Also, I see the motion artifacts more often on the parkland plastics screen.

Is this because the screen is whiter than my wall? I'm thinking a grey screen would look marvelous with this pj, but I don't want to shell out the cash. Can I paint my PP screen or is there another DIY solution?

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
418 Posts
What side of the parkland screen are you using? I also have a Parkland screen and I cannot see any screendoor anywhere from 1.2X. I have a spare parkland sheet that I am considering painting grey just to do an A-B comparison. I am just a bit worried about how the grey would affect the colors. In any case, in the screen forum many people seem to have painted the screens grey using various methods other than goo, you might want to check that out as well.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Wow, you're sitting less than 1.2X away? I much prefer my 2.2X, but as long as you like it, that's all that matters :)

Anyways, I noticed the same increase in digital artifacts when I switched from my off-white wall to a white da-mat screen. Specifically I saw more of the scanline artifact, as I'm not even close to being able to see screendoor at my distance. Of course, the parts of the image we do want to see are also brighter and more vivid on the screen. Stiil, I was very disappointed in this tradeoff UNTIL a tweak to reduce the scanline artifact was discovered. You DO know about this tweak, right?? I'll post a link here, just IN CASE you missed it:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=198865

After the tweak, the scanlines were not eliminated but now they are less noticeable than before I got the screen. Hooray! Though, I would also recommend moving back a little if at all possible - I don't think any digital pj within several thousand dollars will give a completely artifact-free image within 1.2X.

As for the screen, I propose that you don't need to get a gray screen to get the gray screen "effect". Here is how you do it: set your lamp power to low :D As for me, I prefer the bright vibrant colors of a white screen, especially for our 800 lumens machines.

Wow, I feel like a broken record. How many times now have I rambled on about the virtues of the ae300 flicker tweak and white screens?

Mike U.

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
MULVELING,

I second that. I have extremely 20:10 (and then some) vision. In the HT world, thats a bad thing. I absolutely spotted some pretty bad (IMHO) horizontal scan line artifacts. Then I tweaked it and added my Hoya.....VERY improved. Also, the AE300 has an excellent lamp life (in low mode) but is somewhat dim if not used properly (screen size and contrast, etc.). I can't imagine adding a grey screen. Flat white or Matte white (Dalite) is good. Blacks are very good on the AE300.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mulveling
Wow, you're sitting less than 1.2X away? I much prefer my 2.2X, but as long as you like it, that's all that matters :)
I am not seating at 1.2X (not even near). What I said was that I did not see any screendoor from about 1.2X back with the AE300 on a Parkland screen. My current seating distance is about 1.8X.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think mulveling was talking about my seating distance being 1.2x... I posted earlier that I was sitting 100" away from an 80" wide screen. I just remeasured and I'm actually at a 120" viewing distance, so I'm at 1.5x. I'm going to try that flicker fix and see what happens!

I didn't say that the screendoor is bad... even with the Parkland screen, its not always noticeable... just in some of the lighter portions of scenes, sometimes its noticable. But as mulveling stated, the color and brightness are SO MUCH BETTER with the Parkland screen vs. an off white wall!!!

Will the color and brightness be affected if I paint my screen grey? If so, it will not be worth it.

I probably wouldn't notice anything bad about this picture if it wasn't for this darn message board!!!! hehe... but if it wasn't for this message board, I would have WASTED over $3k on a Mitsubishi RPTV with a small (65") screen and sacrifieced 28" of my apartment livingroom!

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
I don't think we should use the "s" word (SD actually) anymore when we speak of the AE300. I'm afraid that it may alter my perception and subconsciously convince me that there is screendoor on my screen.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RobZ
I don't think we should use the "s" word (SD actually) anymore when we speak of the AE300. I'm afraid that it may alter my perception and subconsciously convince me that there is screendoor on my screen.
I was thinking the samething........in fact, the comments made above about SD, made me wonder if he even has an AE300!!;)

Jason

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.