AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking hard at the 115 inch Draper Access Multiview Series V screen. This is a 2.35ceiling recessed, tab tensioned screen with second roller for 16.9 masking. Here are the viewing area dimensions: 45" x 105 ¾" (2.35) and 45" x 80" (16x9). The Panasonic AE3000u seems to be a perfect fit for it due to the 2.35 anamorphic zoom capabilities.

My only concern is about the light spillover effect from zooming to 2.35. When the AE3000 does this, as I understand it, it essentially projects the top and bottom black bars off the screen. This will not be a problem for the top of the screen due to the 12 inches of black drop above. But what should I do about the bottom? The wall behind will not be black. I asked Draper whether it would be possible to add some black drop to the bottom of the screen to anticipate this spillover, and they, of course, said "sure!"

Has anyone else done that? Does it even sound like a good idea? If so, how much extra bottom black drop do you think I would need to catch the spillover (and also display subtitles that otherwise might be cutoff in some films)?

The room is 16' wide by 17' long with a 8'8" ceiling, in case that info is needed for throw distance, etc. The screen wall is on the 16 foot wall.

Update - maybe I answered my own question - In the 45" by 80" 16 x 9 area, a letterboxed 2.35 image would be centered at approximately 34" by 80". The space for the top and bottom black areas would thus total 11 inches. So, if I add 6 inches of bottom black drop, that should cover the 5.5" of bottom letter box spillover when the image is zoomed. Correct?

Here is a rough sketch of my plan (wall mounted t.v. shown behind the screen):

[/URL] [/IMG]

·
Registered
381 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilroy /forum/post/16953478

I'm looking hard at the 115 inch Draper Access Multiview Series V screen. This is a 2.35ceiling recessed, tab tensioned screen with second roller for 16.9 masking. Here are the viewing area dimensions: 45" x 105 ¾" (2.35) and 45" x 80" (16x9). The Panasonic AE3000u seems to be a perfect fit for it due to the 2.35 anamorphic zoom capabilities.

My only concern is about the light spillover effect from zooming to 2.35. When the AE3000 does this, as I understand it, it essentially projects the top and bottom black bars off the screen. This will not be a problem for the top of the screen due to the 12 inches of black drop above. But what should I do about the bottom? The wall behind will not be black. I asked Draper whether it would be possible to add some black drop to the bottom of the screen to anticipate this spillover, and they, of course, said "sure!"

Has anyone else done that? Does it even sound like a good idea? If so, how much extra bottom black drop do you think I would need to catch the spillover (and also display subtitles that otherwise might be cutoff in some films)?

The room is 16' wide by 17' long with a 8'8" ceiling, in case that info is needed for throw distance, etc. The screen wall is on the 16 foot wall.

Update - maybe I answered my own question - In the 45" by 80" 16 x 9 area, a letterboxed 2.35 image would be centered at approximately 34" by 80". The space for the top and bottom black areas would thus total 11 inches. So, if I add 6 inches of bottom black drop, that should cover the 5.5" of bottom letter box spillover when the image is zoomed. Correct?

Here is a rough sketch of my plan (wall mounted t.v. shown behind the screen):

[/URL] [/IMG]

When you zoom out to fill up the 45 * 105 image, the projector will be projecting an image of 59 * 105 (the native 16:9 image). Since the height of the screen is 45, that would be about 7.5 inches of spill on the top and bottom, so you'll probably want at least 8 inches of black on the top and bottom for masking. However, you won't be able to see subtitles with this set-up.

When you project an image 2.35 image of 34 * 80 (the 2.35 image that shows when the 16:9 projector fills only the heighth, there is no spill, just gray bars in the top 5.5inches on the white screen.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipester /forum/post/16960411

When you zoom out to fill up the 45 * 105 image, the projector will be projecting an image of 59 * 105 (the native 16:9 image). Since the height of the screen is 45, that would be about 7.5 inches of spill on the top and bottom, so you'll probably want at least 8 inches of black on the top and bottom for masking. However, you won't be able to see subtitles with this set-up.

When you project an image 2.35 image of 34 * 80 (the 2.35 image that shows when the 16:9 projector fills only the heighth, there is no spill, just gray bars in the top 5.5inches on the white screen.

Thanks for the info! That is exactly the type of advice I am looking for. I am curious, though, why do you not think I would be able to see subs with this setup? Would the black drop "eat up" the projected subs?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBM99 /forum/post/16962269

You'll see subtitles on some movies others not. It depends on whether they left them in the movie or dropped them underneath.

Here is a thread that lists the safe and not safe movies for CIH.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1102888

Thanks for the link. If, however, I have 8 inches of black drop below the screen, which would more than compensate for the 7.5 inches of zoomed projection off the bottom edge of the screen, shouldn't I be able to see any subtitle projected in the letterbox space? Assuming, of course, that the projected text is readable against the black material.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts