AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've found myself going in every 10 hours or so to adjust the flicker. For some reason it keeps getting out of whack. Is that normal?

-MP

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hmmm.. I don't know if it is normal or not, but I had to adjust flicker a few times during the first 50-60 operating hours (original setting for green was 27, now 29). No need to change flicker setup since (110 hours on display now). Before adjusting flicker wait at least 20-30 minutes, projector needs to warm up. Follow temp1 display to observe when temperature is settled and then adjust flicker.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
As long as I've let mine warm up before I check it, it didn't change on my 300. Haven't had the 500 long enough to tell yet. But it does seem so far to be easier to get the green flicker to stop completely than with the 300.

madpoet, are there any other settings you've been able to adjust? The Z2 guys are tweaking some factory and service menus to get improvements in the VB. I only know of the menu that has the flicker adj. Do you think any others might affect VB?

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, some people who used VGA said messing with the dot clock improved vb.

-MP

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have done contrast. Haven't messed very much with RGB. Contrast was pretty off out of the box, you really do need to adjust it.

-MP

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Do you mean contrast in the main user menu or the separate R/G/B contrasts in the advance menu.

I had a hard time setting contrast with AVIA. I'm using Normal picture mode with contrast at -2.

·
Premium Member
13,879 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm using Normal at -2 myself. I used DVE for my tuning. I was having a hard time navigating the menus last time I screwed around with it, which is why I haven't done a lot of fine tuning.

-MP

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
Here are the pjs, side by side on my table. I used an extension on my component cable from the ceiling to be able to switch them quickly. The AE500 is a nice metallic silver vs. the L300u's dark gray plain case. And the 500 says "High Definition."

I had planned to take screenshot comparisons for you guys, but honestly, I couldn't see the differences here in person, so I knew that screenshots would only serve to confuse things because of variables like me holding the camera still or lighting or flash, etc...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I just received an AE500 2 days ago.

I plan to tweak it using the SMART III system that I bought for a previous projector that's been sold.

The RGB contrast/brightness in the advanced menu settings on AE500 correspond to the GAIN and BIAS tweaks referenced in SMART III. Can't really adjust stuff in the advanced menu without some calibration system like Colorfacts or SMART III.

I hope to post contrast measurements (with the SMART III light meter) and IRE curves out of the box and after tweaking.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.