Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Can anyone please advise on why I cant seem to watch DVD's fed by an Oppo in 1080i on my panny proj?

I just got the Oppo this arvo from our Friendly OZ inporter ( cheers Darren ) and of course am anxious to see just how good this baby is but so far dissapointed that I can't see what DVD's look like at 1080i.

Setup is AE700 ( input set to HDMI ) connected to Oppo by 10m DVI to HDMI cable with sound going through trusty Onkyo rec, I can see the picture from the DVD at 480 lines but when I cycle through the other resolutions I just get a blank screen.

Is there some setting in the AE's menus that I should be enabling ?

Cheers

Stuart

·
Registered
534 Posts
I use a Zenith 318 at 1080i for now and I have no issues in changing the resolution. Pops up nearly instantly.

Plus I seem to have better black levels on my FP over my RPCRT...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im now thinking that ive brought a bum cable because at 480lines Im getting lots of red sparkles going through the picture .

·
Registered
309 Posts
Why are you sending the Panasonic a 1080i signal? If you send it a signal higher than 720p the projector scales it back down.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was under the impression that the projector could display at 1080i ?

The cable turned out to be the problem replaced it now it works fine.

·
Registered
28,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 64kym
I was under the impression that the projector could display at 1080i ?
The AE700 is a 720p projector. Any signal you feed it other than 720p gets scaled by the projector to its native resolution.

Right now you are having the Oppo scale a 480i DVD to 1080i, and then the projector scale it back down to 720p. Scaling twice is a bad thing. Don't do it. Set the Oppo for 720p.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I am told that the AE700 has a very good de-interlacer and a very good scaler. This means you can even have the DVD player send out good old 480i and the projector will do the rest. Depending on the quality of the player's own de-interlacer and scaler the 480i might even turn out better.

This, too, is one scaling, not two.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I changed my 3910 to ae700 from 720p to 1080i, due to "better" performance on the HQV disk. This may be the same for the oppo as well. Not that everything will be better, but some test patterns were very much improved.

·
Registered
476 Posts
So do you think a good progressive scan dvd player (say Yamaha 1500 or something mid priced) would be just as good fed into the Panasonic 700 projector and let it upscale or would you be better off with a oppo via dvi?

Any opinions?

·
Registered
28,092 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsteves
I changed my 3910 to ae700 from 720p to 1080i, due to "better" performance on the HQV disk. This may be the same for the oppo as well. Not that everything will be better, but some test patterns were very much improved.
Scaling twice in different directions greatly increases the risk of mathematical errors, and has no technical advantage at all. Scaling doesn't add real picture detail; it fills in the spaces between pixels by copying portions of the surrounding pixels.

If you believe the HQV test results look better when upscaled to 1080i and then downscaled to 720p, I think you may be either reading the test results wrong or are putting emphasis on the wrong tests.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I always find it best to try all possible connections and configurations. People have observed that, in some cases, upscaling followed by downscaling can result in an improvement. While this may seem mathematically unlikely, there are many variables affecting performance.

If you like what you see, go for it!

Bob

·
Registered
42 Posts
Can anyone with the Oppo and Panny ae700 give us a comparison of the picture quality with the Oppo set to each of the different resolutions (480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i). I'd be very curious to hear what others think, before I go out and purchase the Oppo myself.

·
Registered
6,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Jayne
I am told that the AE700 has a very good de-interlacer and a very good scaler. This means you can even have the DVD player send out good old 480i and the projector will do the rest. Depending on the quality of the player's own de-interlacer and scaler the 480i might even turn out better.

This, too, is one scaling, not two.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm
While I would say the AE-700 has a decent de-interlacer, you would be much better getting a good DVD player.

I originally tried feeding the AE-700 an S-video feed with my old Toshiba DVD player and let the Panny's processor do the work and after the initial wow factor wore off, I quickly came back down to earth with the image quality.

I then purchased a Denon 2910 DVD player and up-convert to 720P through HDMI and all I can say is WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!

There is no comparison.

My 2910 does a much better job at processing than my AE-700.

Craig

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Josh Z
Quote:
Scaling twice in different directions greatly increases the risk of mathematical errors, and has no technical advantage at all.
Totally agreed which is why I never used 1080i before. In any case, the 3:2 detection "racecar" test caused moire for far too long feeding 720p, and it was almost perfect with 1080i. Other tests were not seemingly deteriorated to any great extent. I realize the hqv disk is not the "end all" performance test. Still, to me, the fact that moire can be greatly reduced feeding 1080i rather than the native 720p, while odd, could be considered by some to be worthwhile.

·
Registered
476 Posts
So do you think a good progressive scan dvd player (say Yamaha 1500 or something mid priced) would be just as good fed into the Panasonic 700 projector and let it upscale or would you be better off with a oppo via dvi?

Any opinions?

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbug

Any opinions?
When I bought my AE700 a month or so ago I also bought a Panasonic S77. After all, how could I resist the allure of HDMI, 720P etc?

I have found that I get the best, smoothest picture with the fewest artifacts using 480i output over component from the S77. 480p over component also looks good, the difference is subtle and I'm not yet certain which I prefer but I'm leaning towards the 480i. The HDMI/720P/1080i output has excessive sharpening type artifacts even with sharpness on the DVD player and the projector set to the minimum. These are readily visible using the Avia sharpess pattern and most annoying.

I do not, of course, know if this is a fault in the S77 or in the projector. Based upon other threads on this forum I strongly suspect the projector.

Tom

·
Registered
14 Posts
I am newbie looking for a projector and came across this informative website..I am trying to find details on above projector..Can you please direct me to the appropriate thread?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.