AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Besides cleaning the filter are there any other cleaning tips users have found that can be done every now and then?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Eventually you (or a service center) will need to go inside the projector and clean it. No filter is 100% efficient and dust does find its way inside the projector. How often this interior cleaning is required will depend upon your environment. With my Panasonic PT-L300U I have been able to remove the cover and get access to the three LCD panels with a soft brush and compressed air to keep these panels clean. But I will need to further disassemble the projector or send it to a repair center to accomplish further cleaning at some point.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tom for the reply.

Does cleaning the insides (panels etc) help with brightness, colours or just dust blobs?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Everytime I clean the filter, I give the thing a going-over with a vacuum cleaner. Around the lens zoom ring, around the joystick, all the vents, and even the cable connectors.

The thing to remember is don't ever blow *into* a projector, vacuum only. The last thing one wants to do is blow into a PJ and kick up all that dust.. dust which Murphy's Law dictates will invariably find its way to your panels :D

But seriously -- vacuuming all the vents, etc, plus cleaning the filter should keep you ship-shape for quite a while.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoriated_tiger
But seriously -- vacuuming all the vents, etc, plus cleaning the filter should keep you ship-shape for quite a while.
Pipe later.

;)

ted

·
Registered
627 Posts
Does deep cleaning help with brightness and contrast? At some point with enough fine dust build up (not dust blobs that you can see individually) brightness and contast will begin to suffer.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoriated_tiger
Everytime I clean the filter, I give the thing a going-over with a vacuum cleaner. Around the lens zoom ring, around the joystick, all the vents, and even the cable connectors.

The thing to remember is don't ever blow *into* a projector, vacuum only. The last thing one wants to do is blow into a PJ and kick up all that dust.. dust which Murphy's Law dictates will invariably find its way to your panels :D

When vacuuming, aren't you still moving the dust around inside the projector, thereby creating the possibility that dust can still settle on the panels?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin12586
When vacuuming, aren't you still moving the dust around inside the projector, thereby creating the possibility that dust can still settle on the panels?
Well, the fans in the PJ also create an air current within the PJ, wouldn't that also cause dust issues? The flow's pretty good on my 700 even on low fan -- it moves quite a bit of air.

The velocity of a vacuum is much lower than that of a can of compressed air. It's higher than the fans, granted, but nowhere near the rocket-like performance of a fresh can of air with a straw.

Not to mention, when you're vacumming, you're pulling air out of the unit, along with any dust which may or not be in there.

We clean a lot of old PCs at work. Blowing into a PC with canned air sends dust bunnies into a great big cloud hovering over the machine being cleaned.

Vacuuming, on the other hand, doesn't do that. If anything, it's quite a trip to see dust bunnies line up and march towards the vacuum hose nozzle instead of scattering willy-nilly all over the place.

900 hrs into my 700, not a single instance of dust blobs. I wonder how many of those who got dust blobs 200 hrs into their projectors caused their own problem by using canned air...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.