AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just saw an AE700 in action and the lack of visible pixelation and screendoor effect was absolutely amazing. I had to stand 2 feet away to see any pixel structure. I have been unable to demo a Z3. Is the lack of pixelation/screendoor effect as good as or at least close to the AE700? Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99
it should be very close, but the ae700 will be a little better because of it's smoothscreen technology
Can u turn off the smooth screen affect?


I would think that that feature would be really bad for computer hookup, doesnt it essentially unsharpen ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
No, it doesn't unsharpen. It's just as sharp as a non smoothscreen projector. I think that seeing screendoor acts like edge enhancement - it gives you the perception of an image being sharper when it's not.


I've seen both projectors and the Z3 is a lot worse in terms of screen door than the AE700. However, screendoor issues depend on the quality of your eyesight and viewing distance.


Screendoor on the AE700 is viewable from about 2 feet away on a 6 foot wide image. On the Z3, you can see the screen door easily at 6 feet away, and it still makes an occasional appearence at 9 feet away.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by monopole
Screendoor on the AE700 is viewable from about 2 feet away on a 6 foot wide image. On the Z3, you can see the screen door easily at 6 feet away, and it still makes an occasional appearence at 9 feet away.
I can't comment on the Z3, but I have the AE700, and I have to stand right in front of the screen (88 inch diagonal) to see the screen door effect. From my seating point, about 8 feet away, the picture is wonderful!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
85 Posts
I own the Z3 and from my center spot 8 ft away on my 96 inch screen I see no screen door at all. I can see screen door from about 4ft out. But sitting in my seats 8ft and 12 ft I see none at all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
there is so much bull s***in this thread i'm tempted to grab some for fertilizer.


the pixels are delineated on both projectors. their relative size depends on viewing distance. the claim a 1" square pixel on the panasonic is less visible than a 1" square pixel on the sanyo is embarassing.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,879 Posts
Sorry, you're wrong. Smoothscreen does in fact reduce SDE. Some people don't like the effect because they feel it softens the picture, but you can't turn it off.


-MP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet
Sorry, you're wrong. Smoothscreen does in fact reduce SDE. Some people don't like the effect because they feel it softens the picture, but you can't turn it off.


-MP


I have a 50'' panasonic LCD RPTV


While a really great TV i find it unsuiteable for data. When i connect my computer through DVI i can notice the smoothing effect. So its really not as defined as it should be.


I'm happy with that though, there's zero screen door effect.


On the other hand i just picked the sanyo not only because of the much lower price but because i feared that the smooth effect will soften computer viewing.



Maybe i'm wrong dunno.




Just a note: I connect to DVI in 1280x720 Res so there's no scaling involved.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
425 Posts
Smoothscreen is does not adversely effect the image from computer sources on the ae700. I game and for some fun I photoshop images on my 106" screen. The ae700 does suffer from "peekaboo scanlines" which can be likened to very brief glimpses of screendoor. I tend to notice it most on fleshtones.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
540 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet
Sorry, you're wrong. Smoothscreen does in fact reduce SDE. Some people don't like the effect because they feel it softens the picture, but you can't turn it off.


-MP
So how does it work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet
Sorry, you're wrong. Smoothscreen does in fact reduce SDE. Some people don't like the effect because they feel it softens the picture, but you can't turn it off.


-MP
do the panels vibrate?


if they stay still, then they are still sending the same number 1280 x 720 pixels to the same screen. each one is the same size.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
I have an ae700 and have not seen a Z3, but have seen other projectors at various retailers. The difference I see with my 700 vs other various projectors is that I do not see the lines in between the pixels on the 700.


Feeding a PC image I do see the pixels that make up text as expected, it is just that on other projectors I see the pixels making up the text *plus* a bit of space between the pixels (ie: like the material that makes up a real screendoor). I don't know if I have explained it well, but that may be what people are talking about when arguing the differences and saying that the pixels are the same on a 700 vs a Z3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaddow
I have an ae700 and have not seen a Z3, but have seen other projectors at various retailers. The difference I see with my 700 vs other various projectors is that I do not see the lines in between the pixels on the 700.


Feeding a PC image I do see the pixels that make up text as expected, it is just that on other projectors I see the pixels making up the text *plus* a bit of space between the pixels (ie: like the material that makes up a real screendoor). I don't know if I have explained it well, but that may be what people are talking about when arguing the differences and saying that the pixels are the same on a 700 vs a Z3.


Maybe thats where the extra 200 lumans are coming from since its the same rated bulb.


There's less masked area so more light goes through ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
609 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by htpcfan
So how does it work?


I'm not sure of this so take it as a mere opinion, but I think the smoothscreen technology as it's called works this way. If you align three panels such as the z3 & the 700 up perfectly, you have all three lines on top of one another. This makes the line more visible than if you take the same three panels and offset one from another by very small incements. Each line then becomes more faint than three aligned perfectly. This would also account for the lack in ability to produce very sharp edges for PC applications. Just a thought. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
693 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne
I'm not sure of this so take it as a mere opinion, but I think the smoothscreen technology as it's called works this way. If you align three panels such as the z3 & the 700 up perfectly, you have all three lines on top of one another. This makes the line more visible than if you take the same three panels and offset one from another by very small incements. Each line then becomes more faint than three aligned perfectly. This would also account for the lack in ability to produce very sharp edges for PC applications. Just a thought. ;)


Your theory may be right !. because i noticed that the pixel is not uniform on my 50' its like it has a aura around it. and the actual color is in the middle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowspeed
Maybe thats where the extra 200 lumans are coming from since its the same rated bulb.


There's less masked area so more light goes through ?
I don't know that the area is masked on other projectors I think it is just the space between the pixels on the panel. The 700 and Z3 use the same panel so I think the difference is what the 700 does with the light as it is coming out of the projector. Maybe a slight diffusion of the light to mask the edges of the pixel structure.


All I know is, after having ours for a month or so and walking close to the screen side to enter and leave the room, my wife was with me at a local store and saw the SDE upclose on one of the projectors on display, and she was like "how do people live with this" and I responded that it isn't visible from a sitting distance, but just illustrates how noticeable the smoothscreen difference is up close.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,879 Posts
Smoothscreen in essence does a minute defocus of the image to reduce SDE.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by madpoet
Smoothscreen in essence does a minute defocus of the image to reduce SDE.
thanks for clarifying- i was guessing this with my "panels vibrate" term.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top