AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hoping you folks here can help. I had to replace the bulb in my 8 or so year old AE700U projector. Went the cheaper (not cheapest) bulb route this time as I didn't know how long this puppy was going to stick around....Anyway, the bulb was fine for 400+ hours, then I notice something.

A blue "haze" started appearing on the bottom left side of the screen....showing up on certain screen color combinations. then more prevalent. Finally, the bulb itself went dark.....So I had the company send me a new bulb thinking if the blue haze went away, it wasn't the cheap bulb. So with the replacement bulb installed, the blue haze is still there.

So this tells me my problem has been something in the projector....perhaps this problem also killed the bulb. who knows. I'd love to know if anyone has any thoughts on this.

So then, the tough decision going forward. Buy a 70 inch Sharp TV to replace the projector, or get another project. I sure like my 113 inch screen with a projector, but TV's have gotten cheaper....and i'd never have to deal with a bulb again and the screen would be brighter, etc. My kids are old and use the system more (movies, Xbox, etc.). I'd love to hear you thoughts on this decision too.

Lastly, then comes the religious question......if I buy another projector, which one? The AE7000U looks awesome, although I don't think I need 3D really. I had mostly good luck with the AE700U, although I had to replace an up-front power supply at about 3000 hours years ago due to then, evidently, a common problem. So I wonder if Panasonic is solid now on durability, quality, etc.

Thanks,

Dave.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking based on searching around the internet. I may open it up sunday and dig in. I took the cover off when this first started happening and blew out the areas I could reach with some air, but I will have to go deeper. I guess if I hose it up, it won't matter at this point.

And thanks for sending a link to that thread......very useful, although the sublinks are dead now.....

Of course, maybe I should just consider it dead, whether it really is. Then the wife has no pushback on upgrading. ;-) This sounds good, but didn't want to spend 2800 bucks or so right now.

since I posted this, i've seen there are great projectors out there in the 1200-1500 range....these will blow my AE700 out of the water it appears.

The Epson 8350 looks solid, and is on sale, if I don't need 3D. 1200 bucks! Amazing! I think I paid 2500 for the AE700U eight years ago.

Looks like the AE7000U has good competition from the Epson 5010 too if I decided to go the 3D route.

Dave.

·
Registered
96 Posts
My AE700 had the same blue polarizer issues. I wasted my time taking it apart to see if any kind of cleaning could fix it. Nope. Not worth replacing the optical unit on it. My HTPC took a direct lightning hit recently and everything plugged into my battery backup surge protector got zapped including the projector, which surprisingly still works, bur now there' red all over the screen for a few minutes, and then the red disappears altogether. While the AE700 had been a good projector I plan to go with a DLP and forget LCD projectors altogether. Just way too many issues with them - dust blobs, convergence, etc. The BenQ W6000 is just about the only PJ that fits my room placement. Not sure if I'll see rainbows, but I don't plan on looking for them, and will ignore them if I do.

·
Registered
870 Posts
When my AE700 died I had the same issue. I purchased an AX200. Even though it was also 720p it had much better contrast and was brighter. It truely felt like an upgrade. I have since purchased a JVC HD250 which I really love! Great blacks, very bright, and smooth film like image. Good luck with whatever you end up getting, but you will miss your large screen if you get the 70" flat panel.

Stace

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
I had a ae700 3 years ago but had moved on to other brands and technology, but stay in the LCoS camp due to RBE sensitivity.

70 inch would not work for me. Epson 8350 is OK but why not a refurb 6500ub or any of the ub series from Epson? If you could afford it, try a Sony HWnn or a b-stock JVC. LCD contrast did not work for me either. Like you, I do not need 3D.

GL

1 - 6 of 6 Posts