AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the pending demise of Aereo after the SCOTUS decision, I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get my GF set up for DVRing. She had still been on a VCR with rabbit ears and an OTA box when we met, and I got her a Roku and Aereo subscription for Christmas. She absolutely LOVES Aereo over the old VCR solution, but since it's going away I want to get her set up with an OTA antenna (which I have) and DVR. She's not a big videophile and would only need a two tuner unit. Don't want to spend much so I'm looking for suggestions on older Tivo units that I could find on eBay that would fit the bill. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
878 Posts
The 2 tuner series 4 Tivo Premiers (which do OTA) with a lifetime subscription typically sell for $300 +/- on Ebay. I just sold 2 of them for $320 and $340 within a few days of listing. I don't know anything about the series 3 but would assume they would sell for less since they are older and would have more hours on them.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
And adding a TiVo stream to the premiere will get the watch anywhere part of aerio back.

In fact I don't understand the scotus ruling when the above hardware is legal!

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
And adding a TiVo stream to the premiere will get the watch anywhere part of aerio back.

In fact I don't understand the scotus ruling when the above hardware is legal!

When you use watch anywhere, do you share it with everybody and charge them for it, or is it for your own personal use?

For the OP's GF, wouldn't a $40 iView work pretty well, or an HD Homerun on a PC?

·
Registered
13,342 Posts
Channel Master is running an "Aero is Dead" special on their DVR+, antenna, WiFi adapter bundle. See here.

The DVR+ is a mid-range OTA DVR with a mid-range feature set and a mid-range price. Personally I use TiVo, but if you are looking for cheaper and are willing to compromise in features look at the DVR+.

·
Registered
251 Posts
With the pending demise of Aereo after the SCOTUS decision, I'm looking for an inexpensive way to get my GF set up for DVRing. She had still been on a VCR with rabbit ears and an OTA box when we met, and I got her a Roku and Aereo subscription for Christmas. She absolutely LOVES Aereo over the old VCR solution, but since it's going away I want to get her set up with an OTA antenna (which I have) and DVR. She's not a big videophile and would only need a two tuner unit. Don't want to spend much so I'm looking for suggestions on older Tivo units that I could find on eBay that would fit the bill. Any help is appreciated.
Perhaps this can help you?

http://www.cnet.com/news/aereo-alternatives-for-recording-free-over-the-air-roundup/

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
When you use watch anywhere, do you share it with everybody and charge them for it, or is it for your own personal use?

For the OP's GF, wouldn't a $40 iView work pretty well, or an HD Homerun on a PC?
Here is the thing. There is no sharing according to their claims of design.

So I buy an antenna, TiVo ans stream. I'm out say $500. I then also am say spending $1 a month on electricity.

Or I set up a company TiVo stream Inc.
For $12 Each subscriber at my data ctr gets a aerial, a TiVo and a stream. My costs are the hardware and electricity and data connection.

Isn't it the same? The end useris pay as you go with no upfront cost but over time is paying those costs.

·
Thread Ender
5,000 Posts
Isn't it the same? The end useris pay as you go with no upfront cost but over time is paying those costs.
Yes it is the same. And it becomes an issue when you attempt to profit from the arrangement.. which is basically selling access to copyrighted programming material to others.

·
Registered
690 Posts
The Tablo is also great for this, and they now have both a 2-tuner and 4-tuner box available. There is a whole thread dedicated to it in this forum.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I wonder if they have a deal on the DVR+ alone. I have an WiFi adapter in my desk drawer, and she really need a unidirectional antenna since all of the broadcasts she is interested in are in Atlanta, within 20 degrees of each other. I have a CM dual bowtie I was going to give her.

·
Registered
15,338 Posts
Did my math nicely.
Roaming 170
Sub 15 for month 1 then 399 for lifetime.
Stream 129
Resell TiVo with lifetime (300)
Total. 413
Over 36 months $11.47. Same as aereo.

What if your Tivo goes kaput at the end of 36 months?

PC is still the best option IMO. Tuner is only $100, and you already own most of the other hardware you need. I've done it for years and saved thousands. Plus, I can add more rooms for just $100 each (I'm up to 5). Resale value is probably at least %60 on tuners and extenders.

Good luck convincing the supreme court that re-broadcasting and selling it is not a copyright violation. Aereo's lawyers couldn't pull that off either.

·
Registered
11,617 Posts
I wonder if they have a deal on the DVR+ alone. I have an WiFi adapter in my desk drawer, and she really need a unidirectional antenna since all of the broadcasts she is interested in are in Atlanta, within 20 degrees of each other. I have a CM dual bowtie I was going to give her.
AFAIK the DVR+ like the old Tivos require a specific WiFi adapter, it doesn't have drivers built in for off the shelf WiFi adapters.

·
Registered
6,556 Posts
I have one of these and it works great to record my local off air channels and let me view them via the internet anywhere ...

http://www.simple.tv
The 2 tuner version and other silicon dust tuners are on sale at Woot too:

http://electronics.woot.com/offers/simple-tv-the-ultimate-dvr-17?ref=ref%3Dcnt_wp_0_0

I have a version one Simple.tv for sale if anyone's interested?

The Tablo sounds like a better option to me tho.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
AFAIK the DVR+ like the old Tivos require a specific WiFi adapter, it doesn't have drivers built in for off the shelf WiFi adapters.
Being in IT, I have access to all sort of miscellaneous crap. I have an Ethernet to wireless bridge that will work on anything that has hard wired Ethernet.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
What if your Tivo goes kaput at the end of 36 months?

PC is still the best option IMO. Tuner is only $100, and you already own most of the other hardware you need. I've done it for years and saved thousands. Plus, I can add more rooms for just $100 each (I'm up to 5). Resale value is probably at least %60 on tuners and extenders.

Good luck convincing the supreme court that re-broadcasting and selling it is not a copyright violation. Aereo's lawyers couldn't pull that off either.
Unfortunately the gf would not go for a pc in the living room or behind her tv.

Also, a hard remote is a necessity for her.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts