AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered a pair of Aerial Acoustic SR3 surrounds to upgrade my previous PSBs. The PSB's have a conventional hook mount on the back of the speaker to mount them to a wall which suffice fine for them. Of course the Aerials being much heavier (and more expensive) I want these mounted to the walls in the best way. I noticed that Aerial sells an optional ceiling mount for the SR3s but cannot find any other info or even a picture of this mount. If they are anything like the center channel speaker stand then I am sure that I would feel that they are well built mounts.

Has anybody used these mounts and what is your opinion on their quality? What do they look like?

Are they a ceiling only mount or can they also function as a wall mount?

Are there better alternatives to mounting the SRs on my walls?

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Jim

I don't know of any ceiling mount for the SR3. I used a pair of floor standing wall mounts for my SR3's till I built my new house. I was quite happy with them and don't think they look bad. I still have the stands if you would be interested.

Earl

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, you prompted me to just call Aerial Acoustics and ask them! I did talk to someone who explained that normally the SR3s are mounted with a keyhole type wall mount, but this ceiling mount is a stainless steel bracket which allows flush mounting against the ceiling. From what he described, this is not what I needed.

I guess I will go ahead and use the conventional keyhole mount when I get the SR3.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Jim,

Aerial also sells a very well built freestanding floorstand (OEM'd from Sound Anchor, I believe), which raises the SR3's to the proper elevation and requires no wall or ceiling mounting. They're not too visually intrusive, but this is a subjective call. You should also look into this option.

Good move on the SR3's, by the way--they are excellent surround speakers.

Good luck

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Philip,

My HT layout won't work with floor stands due to the walkways, closet doors, etc. So a straightforward wall mounting is what I need to do.

I am looking forward to the SR3s. Should blend better with my 10Ts and CC3B center. The next thing is go to a 7.1 processor and get another set of speakers for the rear channel. Any suggestions on which Aerial to go with for the rears? I'm guess the Model 5s?

Thanks,

Jim

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Korns
Philip,

My HT layout won't work with floor stands due to the walkways, closet doors, etc. So a straightforward wall mounting is what I need to do.
Understood. You might want to check out the M&K website--they make a highly regraded line of mounting hardware. Otherwise, you should consult a professional installer.

Quote:
I am looking forward to the SR3s. Should blend better with my 10Ts and CC3B center. The next thing is go to a 7.1 processor and get another set of speakers for the rear channel. Any suggestions on which Aerial to go with for the rears? I'm guess the Model 5s?
A lot of the current research suggests that having several speakers that go down to 40 Hz is very beneficial for smoothing out bass response in a room. I think you'd do better with rear speakers that have a little more LF extension than the Model 5s--maybe the Model 6s, or the LR 3s?

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
602 Posts
Jim

I have a system similar to what you are trying to do. I have 10T's paired with two SW12's for front left and right, CC5 for front center, SR3's for sides, Model 6 for rears and a CC3 for center rear. I have been very happy with this setup and recommend the Model 6 for the rears.

Earl

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.