AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to own the Aerial Acoustics LR5 and CC5 speakers powered by the Theta Dreadnaught. I owned these a few years ago and due to relocation, I ended up selling this setup. Now that I'm settled and putting together my home theater system, I've been leaning mostly towards the Paradigm Signature S8's and C5.

Has anyone owned, reviewed, auditioned, evaluated these two different brande of speakers?

I'm just wondering if I should go with a sound/speaker line that I "know" I already like versus going with a different speaker line that I also like as well. The Paradigm Signatures are beautiful speakers and sound great. The Aerial LR5's are very dynamic, powerful speakers but require a stand and need powerful amplification.

It would be a total tossup regarding the Paradigm C5 center versus the Aerial CC5 center. Both are incredible and even though I haven't hard the Aerial CC5 in a few years, I still think it could/would be a close call with the Paradigm C5.

Any thoughts, opinions, ideas, suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
You really need to audition them side by side and decide for yourself.

For my ears there was absolutely no comparison. The short of it for me was that the Sigs suffered from what sounded like nasty cabinet resonance and could not in any way keep up with the dynamics and neutrality of the Aerials.

But it is your ears that must be sated.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I love the LR5, but the Model 9 is the gem. You must buy the stands for the LR5, so you might as well hold off until you can get into the Model 9. The CC5 will hold it's own against any center speaker on the planet.

True, the Paradigm Sigs are gorgeous. Probably one of the nicest looking speaker lines on the market. I had the S4 and C5 combo in my personal system 3 years back. I had no real complaints, just felt the S4's weren't up to par with some of the others out there. The C5 is a very capable center and blended well.

The Model 9 and Sig8 are of similar styling and driver array. But, to compare these side-by-side, it would probably be a short audition for one of them.

·
Registered
559 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyDaves /forum/post/14203699

I used to own the Aerial Acoustics LR5 and CC5 speakers powered by the Theta Dreadnaught. I owned these a few years ago and due to relocation, I ended up selling this setup. Now that I'm settled and putting together my home theater system, I've been leaning mostly towards the Paradigm Signature S8's and C5.

Has anyone owned, reviewed, auditioned, evaluated these two different brande of speakers?

I'm just wondering if I should go with a sound/speaker line that I "know" I already like versus going with a different speaker line that I also like as well. The Paradigm Signatures are beautiful speakers and sound great. The Aerial LR5's are very dynamic, powerful speakers but require a stand and need powerful amplification.

It would be a total tossup regarding the Paradigm C5 center versus the Aerial CC5 center. Both are incredible and even though I haven't hard the Aerial CC5 in a few years, I still think it could/would be a close call with the Paradigm C5.

Any thoughts, opinions, ideas, suggestions? Thanks!

Back in the day, I auditioned the Paradigm vs Revel. The Revel won handily, so I went home with a full Revel system. Then I bought an entire Aerial system sight-unseen ears-unheard, and the Aerials stomped the Revel. The CC5 is unmatched as a center channel.

My suggestion echoes ttowntony's: get the Model 9 + CC5 combination. You can buy the ones I have up for sale

·
Registered
1,244 Posts

Quote:
My suggestion echoes ttowntony's: get the Model 9 + CC5 combination. You can buy the ones I have up for sale

I've been watching them...CAN'T believe no one has snatched those up yet.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttowntony /forum/post/14208602

I've been watching them...CAN'T believe no one has snatched those up yet.

^ What he said.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When I first purchased the Aerial LR5's and CC5, I loved how they sounded with the Theta Dreadnaught. The only negative thing was that I wasn't quite thrilled with using stands like those for speakers. I think I am leaning towards floorstanding speakers these days but those LR5's could really kick butt and give out some tremendous dynamics. The Aerial 9's were not around when I got my LR5's, so I have no clue about their sound quality and how they compare with each other.

Fugueness, your speakers seem like a great deal and they are beautiful looking as well. I have heard the Paradigm C5 center speaker and it's awesome but so is the Aerial CC5. The CC5 just seemed to have unlimited dynamics

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
I am completely astounded that you haven't sold those yet either.... and I see you just dropped the price on them as well....

If I didn't have remodeling coming up I would have bought them already, unheard...

I wish you well on selling them soon buddy... they are very pretty, I even like the Rose Walnut better then the Rosewood in this particular case...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was going to start a new thread and then realized and then found this one that I started over a year ago. I ended up with the Paradigms, but now I am basically starting from scratch, so this thread is totally relevant now and instead of starting a new thread, just wanted to pick up the conversation from a year ago.

I do have to say those Aerial speakers are beautiful, but so are the Paradigm Signatures as well. Now you can see why I had problems making a decision on that purchase a year ago.

so now, after having owned both the Aerial LR5's and CC5 and the Paradigm Signature S8's and C5 recently, I thought back to the sound I got from the Aerial Speakers I had in 2001. At that time, the 9's weren't even around.

The more I looked at these two speaker systems, the more they looked very similar. The S8's are very similar in drivers and design, the Signature C5 has 2 bass, 2 midrange, an upper midrange, tweeter; whereas the Aerial CC5 has 2 bass, 1 midrange and 1 tweeter. The Aerial CC5 is a beast. I thought the C5 Signature was a beast, but that Aerial Center was simply awesome. These two systems to me look very much alike. The Aerial 9/CC5 vs the Signature S8's/C5.

My questionnow is which one of these speaker sytems would be the best sounding and which amp for each system would bring out the best in that speaker?

When I had Aerial LR5's and the CC5, I had the original Theta Dreadnaught. 8 years later with the Signature S8's and C5, I ended up using an the Outlaw 7500 5x200 wpc balanced amp with good results. But I would venture to say that the Theta/Aerial combination was better and I'm not sure why.

I have not heard the Aerial 9's but I do know that the LR5's were awesome speakers. The only thing I didn't like was that they needed stands, but the sound along with the CC5 was simply amazing. I don't know if I had "amazing" moments with the Paradigm setup.

It seems that the amps that are popular now for Aerial are Bryston, Theta and for Paradigm, the Anthem P5/P2 and some of the newer digital amps. I went with Outlaw for Paradigm because the larger Outlaw amp was used in one of the excellent reviews of the Signature S8's and they are relatively effecient at 91dB.

If you had to pick one of these combinations, which one would you pick and why and which amp would you mate with it?

Theta is now about to release version 3 of the Dreadnaught; I've heard nothing but raves about the Aerial 9's and if they match or exceed the LR5's, then they must be awesome. The Anthem P5 has excellent reviews, but it's hard for me to justify getting a really powerful amp which has 325 wpc x 5 because I feel that my "shoebox" size surrounds just don't need all that power going to them and it's wasted.

Lately I've been focusng on the front 3 speakers and when time/finances permit, focusing on the surrounds, but for now, I'm just going to use my generic surrounds and put my time, effort and money on the front 3 speakers and amplification.

I like the idea of getting an amp that is either 3 channels or getting 3 monoblocks for the front 3 speakers, whether it's Paradigm or Aerial. Theta allows you to get 250 wpc x 3 and then add more at another time or add 100 wpc amps for surround. Emotiva has great prices on their monoblocks and you could use 3 of them and then get a decent 3-5 channel amp of around 100 wpc.

I'd just like to get an idea of what you guys think is the better 3 channel system. I've heard both except for the Aerial 9's. I have not heard Anthem, Emotiva and I do like Bryston, but I felt that Theta was a better match for Aerial. I'm sure the Dreadnaught might have been a better choice for the Signature 8's/C5

And even though I think Aerial matches Paradigm's performance or exceeds it, there is very little written about Aerial and hardly any recent reviews on their products and none on the 9's that I can find. With Paradigm, you can always find a review.

The only other speaker line that I've checked into are the JTR speakers and I've read some good customer reviews on them, but I think for me, Aerial and Paradigm are true tested speakers and the amps I've mentioned have been backed up by reviews and owners for years. The exception is the Emotiva monoblocks.. I'm wondering how it would mate with the Signature S8's or the Aerial 9's.

Most of my use is home theater and I have an Onkyo 886 preamp/processor. Thanks!

·
Registered
696 Posts
Why do you think Peter sold his Aerials? I know it's hard to accept because I couldn't either at first. I now have also sold my LR5's, CC5, and Sw12's for the Jtr triple 12's and a Seaton Submersive. For the best performance there's no comparison, but if the appearence of your speakers are your main priority then by all means spend more for less.

Reactions: mickg10

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
mankite:

Let me guess, he sold his Aerials to buy te JTR speakers and so did you? This thread started a year ago and apparently you both feel that JTR speakers are better than Paradigm and Aerial and any potential Aerial/Paradigm purchasers are idiots to you and Peter. Nowhere in my post do I mention the "appearance" of the speakers being the deciding factor on which speaker to purchase. I only mentioned that Paradigm and Aerial have a long history of reviews and I've owned both of them as well. I am looking into the JTR speakers and still am and don't understand your snide comment. At least I mentioned the JTR's and that I was considering them, but JTR is a small company, hard to review their speakers and I've only read owner reviews but I'm not yet convinced your JTR's stomp these speakers. I only see certain people posting on here about these speakers, so why don't you tell us what makes these so wonderful and worth dumping our Aerial and Paradigm speakers?

·
Registered
696 Posts
Didn't mean to come off as if the Aerials or Paradigm speakers are crap. I was where your at about a year ago. People like Peter are such an asset to AVS as they not only demo tons of different equipment but go one step further by buying and living with tons of different equipment which for someone like myself is just not reasonable. Not to say I didn't have my doubts at first with Peter's conclusions (Thus I purchased a full used Aerial system) but after speaking with a few more that converted to JTR from Wilson owners to Revel owners I promptly sold my Aerials. I assumed since the Jtrs were pro audio speakers that their benefits would be only in output. The fact of the matter is that in a dedicated theater room such as mine you do need the effortless output and the Jtrs defiantly deliver. What surprised me was the fact that the clarity and detail were far superior also, not to mention the bass. The CC5 in comparison sounds thick and muddy and in no way can match a triple 12LF in dynamics. Peter has since upgraded to Mark Seaton's Catalysts which are essentially a more refined and powered version of the triple 12LF. I too will eventually move in that same direction but the Jtr's price make them allot easier to purchase unheard to get a flavor of what these speakers can do. I see you live in Texas. Peter is hosting a meet at his house on the 11th. If I lived as close as you to CA I would defiantly attend as I too have yet to hear the Catalyts. Sorry to come off as snide but being that I was just like you I know how hard it is to make a believer out of someone who hasn't heard them yet. It's hard to understand how Peter had the Aerial model 9's, CC5, and Mac 501 mono blocks across the front and (price wise) downgraded to the Jtrs and wyred4sound amp and improved performance across the board. Once I thought of things logically though such as the markup a company like Aerial must add to their products to have them be sold through dealers and the cost of those nice looking cabinets it's not hard to understand how these cheaper speakers can have better components. Hope this mess helps in some way as it's 4am here in PA.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Mudslide said,

Quote:
For my ears there was absolutely no comparison. The short of it for me was that the Sigs suffered from what sounded like nasty cabinet resonance

Hmmm.. If you heard "nasty resonances" from the Paradigm Signature S8's then you may have been listening to a defective or damaged pair. While no one can dispute your impressions of a speakers voicing (e.g., ..this one is too bright, that one is too dull, etc..) to say a speaker has a nasty resonance is altogether different. ..It rises to to level of claiming a speaker to be poorly engineered. As a counterbalance to your comment I will point out that in NONE of the many professional reviews of the Paradigm Signature S8's (or any of the Sigs, for that matter) were ANY resonances noted, let alone a "nasty" one. Indeed, in most of the reviews the reviewer praised Paradigm for designing and building a very inert cabinet. Visit the Paradigm website and you'll find that Paradigm goes to great lengths to reduce resonances in the Signature series.

As for the Aerials, I believe they are a very fine speaker. 6 or 7 years ago I listened extensively to a pair (forget the model, they cost about $4000) and thought they sounded great. I was comparing them to Vandersteen 3A Sigs. In the end I purchased the Vandersteens b/c I thought they were smoother, and sounded more like the live music to which I was accustomed to hearing. Very recently, I replaced the Vandy's with Paradigm Signature S8's b/c I thought they sounded every bit as smooth/lifelike AND were much more dynamic (necessary given the larger room they were to occupy).

·
Registered
1,159 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugueness /forum/post/14211640

Maybe when word gets around that there's a 10% price increase coming from Aerial in a few weeks...

That's a smart move in this economy....

·
Registered
724 Posts
I think the Paradigm S8 vs. Aerial LR5, CC5 is a great discussion! I've been going back in forth in my mind between these same 2 speaker sets. Either would be a fantastic set-up, and one most would be thrilled to own.

There are some reviews out there on both if you look hard enough. I'll post some links if I run across them. Both have received nice reviews (typical).

I was initially drawn to the Aerials because it seems like they would be great for home theater. The sealed cabinet appeals to me because near wall placement is needed. I'm surprised more speaker designers don't use either sealed cab's, or front ported cabs. So many designs seem to be the very deep narrow rear ported design you see so often today. I have a very large room, yet would like near wall placement. For those with smaller rooms, the need would seem to be even greater.

One can find negative opinions on just about any speaker, no matter how good. I've read more than once that the Aerials tend to be a bit more laid back and mellow compared to some others. I say "read" because I can't try them out locally.
Even though I live in a fairly large city, the only dealer in town is an installer, not a showroom type dealer. Aerials are very inefficient and require larger amps to drive them. Still, they are extremely well made, have good components, and would be great for HT.

The Paradigm S8's are going to be more efficient, and I believe have a better high end. They are widely available and easy to audition. The center is slightly less deep, making placement easier. They are also prettier than the Aerials, making them better in that regard if used in a non-dedicated HT.

This brings me to the JTR. Great speakers for HT from everything I've heard. Punchy and dynamic. Yet, for those of us working a HT into a non-dedicated room, the looks are a deal killer. They would be high on my list for a dedicated room though.

As for a high-powered multi-channel amp with more power than needed for the rears- I say don't worry about it! There is no downside other than cost, and you will not save much money going to separate amps. Besides, you may want to upgrade the rears sometime anyway.

One key thing about both these lines is the center speaker. Both killer! I sound like a broken record, but HT is ALL ABOUT the center! Much better to pick a great center, and then find matching right and left for home theater use. I think many do this backwards (for HT) by selecting the right and left first, and then buying the matching center as an afterthought... The center is FAR more important. Both the Paradigm and Aerial centers are top notch!

As for power amps with these, another name I'll throw out to look at is Parasound.

Really.... there are lots of great speakers once you get up into this price range. But for home theater, I've pretty much narrowed it down to these 2 myself. I'm leaning toward the Paradigm for the nicer high end, higher efficiency, and more room friendly appearance. I do keep going back and forth though....

One last thing to keep in mind, Aerial is soon to release the new 7C, and I've now heard from multiple sources that Paradigm is coming out with a new v3 sig line- can't wait to see that!

I would love to hear some first hand comparisons between these 2 lines for those that have owned both!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd123 /forum/post/16800942

Mudslide said,

Hmmm.. If you heard "nasty resonances" from the Paradigm Signature S8's then you may have been listening to a defective or damaged pair. While no one can dispute your impressions of a speakers voicing (e.g., ..this one is too bright, that one is too dull, etc..) to say a speaker has a nasty resonance is altogether different. ..It rises to to level of claiming a speaker to be poorly engineered. As a counterbalance to your comment I will point out that in NONE of the many professional reviews of the Paradigm Signature S8's (or any of the Sigs, for that matter) were ANY resonances noted, let alone a "nasty" one. Indeed, in most of the reviews the reviewer praised Paradigm for designing and building a very inert cabinet. Visit the Paradigm website and you'll find that Paradigm goes to great lengths to reduce resonances in the Signature series.

As for the Aerials, I believe they are a very fine speaker. 6 or 7 years ago I listened extensively to a pair (forget the model, they cost about $4000) and thought they sounded great. I was comparing them to Vandersteen 3A Sigs. In the end I purchased the Vandersteens b/c I thought they were smoother, and sounded more like the live music to which I was accustomed to hearing. Very recently, I replaced the Vandy's with Paradigm Signature S8's b/c I thought they sounded every bit as smooth/lifelike AND were much more dynamic (necessary given the larger room they were to occupy).

The Sigs are fine speakers, but not my cup o' tea, as I stated. But all the Paradigm models that I compared to the Aerials (and also against some other models such as Thiels that I auditioned side by side) demonstrated an echoic resonance that bothered me. Perhaps "nasty" is an inappropriate appellation.

I'm glad you enjoy the sound of the 'Digms. It's what pleases each of us that's important, as I also stated.

[EDIT: I should point out that it was a few years ago that I auditioned these speakers. I have no clue what version of the Paradigms I was listening to. Perhaps that makes a difference?]

By the way, here is how AA deals with cabinet resonance. Check out the overkill on the bracing/cabinet walls.

Stereophile's spectral decay (accelerometer) plot for the 7B....

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
Jimmy, you owe it to yourself to listen to the Catalysts - if looks aren't top priority, they are simply incredible sounding - they will blow your mind. If you can make that GTG I would highly suggest it... simply some of the best speakers I have ever heard !!!

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpdrv /forum/post/16803304

Jimmy, you owe it to yourself to listen to the Catalysts - if looks aren't top priority, they are simply incredible sounding - they will blow your mind. If you can make that GTG I would highly suggest it... simply some of the best speakers I have ever heard !!!

Warp, is there a thread to link to on the GTG?

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
1 - 20 of 51 Posts