AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an excellent infinite baffle subwoofer system so bass should be taken care of. Which would you chose for critical listening (these two are within my budget)? Used aerial acoustics model 6 or new focal 908 diamond? And why?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I went with the Aerials

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
I assume you couldn't audition either one? Anyway, excellent choice and hard to go wrong with either brand. The Aerial 7T is my current drool over speaker. Maybe someday. Enjoy.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarkeBar  /t/1526707/aerial-acoustics-model-6-or-focal-908-diamond-for-2-channel#post_24595985

I assume you couldn't audition either one?

Not really, I suppose I could have but the Aerials came up at such a good price I didn't want to miss out on getting them. My wife isn't out of town until three weeks from now, thats when I usually make my audio purchases - when she is gone and cannot see me hauling more speakers/equipment into the house.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope she never gets on AVS and reads about my shinannigins although I suspect she knows how I roll by now.

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Smart man. Never let a great opportunity slip through the fingers even if it means "exposing " yourself a little.

All kidding aside, I'm sure your wife is a great gal just like mine.

I don't have a dedicated room so combining the Living room with Audio/Video pursuits has been a little tricky in more than one sense. But I still consider myself very lucky and look forward to a better situation when we buy our retirement home in a few years.

Good Luck with the new speakers.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler  /t/1526707/aerial-acoustics-model-6-or-focal-908-diamond-for-2-channel#post_24594378

I went with the Aerials
I've had the Aerial 6's for about 6 years. No thought of trading them in. W/the front port they are very easy to place in the room. I talked w/Michael Kelly a while back when he was demoing the new 7T's at a local dealership and he said that he made the speakers for the Asian market. They basically have smaller rooms and he wanted to design a speaker that would sound good in a smaller environment. By the way the new 6&7T's are outstanding.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
that is really good to hear. I can't wait to pick them up and try them out. Only 2 1/2 weeks, it's excruciating. Think my Yamaha RX-Z9 will sound good with them? It seems to have quality components and plenty of power for a receiver. I'm already thinking of saving up for a pair of mono blocks. Thinking of Emotiva xpa-1L or Adcom 555s in bridged mode.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts
Currently I have a pair of modified Threshold T-50's that run Bridged at 100 wpc in Class A . The amps run hot but more than enough power. 100-200wpc plenty.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Emotiva xpa-1L are A-A/B 35watts pure class A that switches over to A/B at 250watts/8 ohms above that.

Not many Forte/Thresholds for sale out there.

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The Z9 is rated at 170wpc into 8ohms. I am just curious about mono blocks. Esp. Class A.

·
Registered
4,520 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by edfowler  /t/1526707/aerial-acoustics-model-6-or-focal-908-diamond-for-2-channel#post_24598230

Emotiva xpa-1L are A-A/B 35watts pure class A that switches over to A/B at 250watts/8 ohms above that.

Not many Forte/Thresholds for sale out there.
I got lucky w/the Thresholds. I bought them off a former Threshold VP who had them modified while he was working at Threshold. The name on the back of the Amps is Michael Bladaleius who now owns his own audio company out of Sweden. Michael Kelly who came to my dealers store to demo the 7T's and 6T's has used Parasound Halo Amps. He feels they work well power wise w/his speakers. The Emotiva amps seem interesting. But I have yet to hear any of their gear. Maybe someone is mixing Emotiva amps w/Aerials.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts