Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I'm looking for opinions on two different speaker configurations.

Aerial Option:

Fronts: LR5'S or 10T with Ribbon tweeter if I want to wait until winter http://www.aerialacoustics.com/lr5/modellr5.html

Center: CC5 http://www.aerialacoustics.com/cc5/modelcc5.html

Side Surrounds: LR3 http://www.aerialacoustics.com/lr3/modellr3.html

Rear Surrounds: SR3 http://www.aerialacoustics.com/modelsr3.htm

Subwoofer: SW12 http://www.aerialacoustics.com/sw12sub.htm

VMPS Option:

Fronts: FF1 SRE http://www.vmpsaudio.com/sprbndoc.htm

Center: LRC http://www.harmonicdiscord.com/forum...pic.php?t=5510

Side Surrounds: RM 40'S http://www.vmpsaudio.com/rm40doc.htm

Rear Surrounds: QSO 626 Ribbons http://www.vmpsaudio.com/qsodoc1.htm

Subwoofer: Large subwoofer with all options http://www.vmpsaudio.com/sub1.htm

The room is 24LX14WX7.5H. We will be using mostly 60% HT and 40% music. The Processor will be a Lexicon MC12B for amps I'm thinking about either Sunfire Signatures or Cinepro 3K63'S. I will be bi-amping the fronts and center, and possiably the side surrounds. I have audtioned the Aerials and love them but in a previous post someone mentioned the VMPS speaker line which I had never heard of before, but I have been talking with the owner/desiger and am very impressed with what I have heard trading emails with him. Also with Aerials 10T and 20T using ribbon tweeters it is making me think seriously about the VMPS speakers since they appear to be the leader in the Ribbon technology area and the also won best of show at the CES in January this year with their RM 40 speakers. I would greatly appreciate hearing peoples opinions on the VMPS speakers VS the Aerials. I have not been able to audition the VMPS speakers however they have a 30 day return policy. Since either speaker config is going to cost me around 25k I want to make the right decision here. Thanks in advance folks for the help!

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Quote:
Since either speaker config is going to cost me around 25k I want to make the right decision here.
Both brands have loyal fans so it will probably be hard to get an educated and unbiased opinion. For that kind of money, I'd want to hear them myself before I decided. I think the VMPS dealer in DC has the RM40's. You'd probably need to visit the factory to hear the new FF1's with the Neo ribbons. Plane tickets are cheap relative to your proposed investment.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Rich:

regarding the Aerials, just be aware that if you want to go with either the new 10T or the 20Ts, they both have ribbon tweeters while the CC5 does not. The CC5 was specifically designed to match the LR5s (although it will blend well with the classic 10T and the model 8 speakers, too). When it comes to top-notch home theater experience, perfect evenness at the front speakers is really critical.

My long review on the LR5/CC5/SW12/SR3 system is available from by e-mailing me at: [email protected]

Sorry I have no experience with the VMPSs.

J.V.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I've never heard the Aerial's, but I don't know how you could possibly not be completely satisfied 110% with the VMPS speakers you've mentioned. The only suggestion I would have is to replace the FF1 SRE's with RM40's in the front. You've got no back wave problem to worry about as with the SRE's, all the drivers are in vertical alignment, and what little bass you'll be giving up will not be missed, IMO, with the subwoofer properly integrated.

Disclosure: loyal VMPS fan, hook-line-and-sinker. I grew into a biased fan through many comparison listening tests over the years. While I haven't heard the RM40's, I've owned the RM2's and SuperTower/R SE's as well as some of the smaller ones: QSO 626 SE, dedicated subs, dipole surrounds, etc...

-Chris

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the responses so far! Chris, Brian Cheney recommended either the FF3 or FF1 SRE over the RM 40's in the front. Also I should have mentioned Brian also recommeded the TRT cap upgrades which I will do if I decide to go with VMPS. While I'm tempted to fly out to california as one poster mentioned my schedule doesn't allow for this at the moment. So if anyone knows of anyone in the Boston area that sells VMPS speakers I would be very interested. Chris I would also be interested in your experiences versus other speakers. I'm willing to bet there are some people out there who have compared them to Martin Logans and other speakers. Thanks everyone for the feedback so far!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Rich,

I honestly cannot imagine you being disappointed with either system. Having owned Aerial in the past and currently VMPS, both are excellent speaker manufactures. You may want to check out harmonicdiscord.com for some additional input on VMPS. They have their own little forum there with Brian answering many of the questions himself. You may even find someone local who could give you a in-house demo. With that being said, I am not sure ribbon speakers will make for a good home theater? While I honestly have not tried it, I use mine for 2 channel, the dispersion pattern of ribbon speakers are generally a bit narrow. And some consider to be more of a "seated" listening speaker. Food for thought anyway. Now if we are just talking about 2 channel, I would pick the VMPS 40 over just about any speaker to $10+k. It is that good. Best of luck.

Regards,

Jeff

·
Registered
529 Posts
I recently replaced my Martin Logan Prodigies/ Aerius i with four RM40s, one pair with the TRT cap upgrade. IMHO they are better than the ML's in every way. The RM40s with the TRT caps are possibly one of the finest speakers on the market today.

Rich- take a short trip right to Washington D.C. to Dynamic Sound and speak with Lucius Morris, he is VMPS dealer and is a great guy and extremely knowledgable about VMPS speakers.

Here is the link- www.dynamicsoundaudio.com

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by J.V. Gomez
regarding the Aerials, just be aware that if you want to go with either the new 10T or the 20Ts, they both have ribbon tweeters while the CC5 does not. The CC5 was specifically designed to match the LR5s (although it will blend well with the classic 10T and the model 8 speakers, too). When it comes to top-notch home theater experience, perfect evenness at the front speakers is really critical.
Jose is absolutely right--the importance of matching the center to the front L&R is essential (and frequently overlooked). I wouldn't trade an integrated soundfield for newer ribbon tweeters in the front L&R. Either the LR 5s or current 10Ts would be great choices.

Also, I'd advise putting the SR3s at the sides (directly to the sides of the listening position) instead of the rears. And if your room isn't too long from front to back, you might consider LR 3s all around.

Cheers,

Philip Brandes

·
Registered
344 Posts
Draconas,

You did not indicate what screen configuration you will have. My opinions on VMPS configurations are mine only--Brian Cheney is the man when it comes to precise advise. The VMPS LRC is new. The 626 Neo was initially marketed as a center as well as bookshelf. Laying it horizontal, for a RPTV for example, would have the planar mid running horizontal as well, which has some limits for the sides. In my last house, I placed it vertically, upside down on a RPTV. The setup was a bit tricky with the steep angle, but dispersion was quite nice with the vertical planar mid. The LRC has a vertical planar mid as well. If going with a RPTV or display with limited center speaker size, I would go with the LRC with the VMPS Neos. If I had sufficient vertical room, I would also consider the RM2 or the 626. The RM2 has 2 spiral tweeters and 2 Neo mids. The 626 has the same speakers as the LRC, but one less woofer driver, and is not an MTM configuration as is the LRC. You could vertically mount the 626 on a VMPS Original sub as well for center bass production close to that of the mains. However, with the Lexicon, you can split the bass from the center to the mains--something I prefer for even greater clarity on dialog and vocals, and also a recommendation for Bass Enhance with the Lexicon. If you have all kinds of room for center, you could consider RM40's all across the front. I have been considering this approach even with my RPTV. I checked with Sound Anchors and they would build a custom stand to hold the RM40 horizontally in front of my RPTV. This configuration would have some of the same limitations as the 626 horizontal, but the increased number and length of mid panels would dramatically increase the width of the center dispersion.

As suggested multiple times above, you really should arrange to listen to the VMPS. Also, with the quality level of speakers you are considering, you will want to explore acoustical enhancements for your room. With this level of purchase, you may also be able to get some assistance on proper setup of the speakers.

Color me envious,

Will

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks folks for the replies. If I go to the Aerials I would be using either the LR5 or regular 10T or 8B's. The point several people made about having a consistant and even front stage is well taken. You are correct in that I wouldn't want to be mixing ribbons with the CC5 center channel. Philip I was planning on using the LR3 for the side surrounds because I need tower or stand speakers on the sides, and since they will be the main surround channels I wanted to use the best quality that made sense. I actually thought about using another pair of LR5 for surrounds but I have heard that a lot of space is needed for those as surrounds so the LR3 were recommeded. Also the SR3 are in the rear for 6th and 7th channel because I need wall mounting rears. Sorry folks that I didn't mention my source equipment. Well here is what I'm planning for source equipment.

Video - Pioneer Elite 720 64" RPTV or a Runco DLP if I build an addition!

DVD - Camelot Round Table

CD/SACD Sony ES SCD-XA777ES

Again thanks for the help!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Rich,

I have a Pioneer Elite 710. The vertical 626 looked a bit odd on the set, vertically mounted slanting downward. My room was smaller than yours and I may have been sitting closer than you. This made for a reletively steep angle down on the 626. I also believe this steep angle was giving me some screen reflection from the speaker. The LRC would be more forgiving on this, plus you could mount below your screen as well. I had asked Brian about horizontal RM40 for a center, and his reaction was positive. If interested in RM 40 center, I would further discuss with him regarding PR tuning and overall bass response, since his PR designs are recommended for direct floor mount. With high resolution SACD, you would want as much low level response as possible from your center if you employ analog bypass in the MC-12B. I do not know what amount of bass management is available in your SACD player. Of course, the Lexicon gives you the option of some processing on the analog high resolution signal. There are differing opinions on which is preferred. I think the RM40 has the potential of being a terrific center for any of VMPS Neo ribbons, but at this expense level, you would want as much info as possible.

Regards,

Will

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
Rich:

I second the vote to rethink your Aerial side/rear options. SR3s are better suited for the sides, LR3s for the rears--Michael Kelly himself will tell you this, and I think they even debuted the LR5s with this exact setup at a show. I have Aerial LR5s/CC5 up front, SR3s on the sides and LR3s in back, driven with an MC-12B. Very happy with this setup. They have stands for the SR3s, and with a little bit of engineering, you can mount the LR3s using a bracket on the wall if that's what you need to do. As I'm sure you are aware, the LR5/CC5/LR3 models were designed to handle inwall/on wall/off wall setups and can be switched to optimize their performance under any of these scenarios.

As always, before you drop this much money on something, AUDITION! :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Folks,

Alex thanks for info on the SR3. While I have called Aerial up I never got to talk to Mike Kelly directly. Perhaps I should give them another call, because this is just the opposite of what I was told by the person at Aerial.

Very interesting! Now I understand where Philip was coming from. Will thanks for the detailed posts! Brian actually recommended the LRC to me over the 626 for the center. The idea of using an RM40 as a center speaker never occured to me but it is interesting! However I would have to put it on top of the PRO720 so me and some friends would have to lift that baby up there, 250lbs if remember correctly! My back is starting to ache already!. Putting it on the floor isn't an option because I have 3 Great Pyrenees dogs (think white St. Bernards) at 150lbs each running around the house. Thanks again for all the help!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Rich,

Actually, my idea for the RM40 involves a horizonatal floor stand manufactured by Sound Anchors, the same folks who make the stands for Aerial for the Aerial Center speakers. It would be a custom speaker stand, but actually is pretty reasonable. They sent me drawings based on the limitations of my Elite 710. However, the RM40 is still quite heavy, in the neighborhood of 240 #'s a speaker, so significant assistance would still be needed if this was pursued. It really sounds like you will have a very fine system, whichever way you go.

Enjoy,

Will

·
Registered
770 Posts
Rich,

While I cannot offer you anything in your speaker quest except my envy for your situation, I would like to compliment you on your taste in dogs. I had a Pyr for about a year (lost her unexpectedly), and she was one of the greatest dogs I'll ever hope to have. I'm still waiting for the day that I can get one of her nieces or half-sisters. It's too bad that more people don't know about them, because they are simply outstanding animals. While I wait for another Pyr, I currently have two Newfs (like black Pyrs).

·
Registered
344 Posts
Rich,

I didn't initially catch the issue with the dogs. If you audition both the VMPS and Aerials, I would be interested in reading your impressions.

Regards,

Will

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.