AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have narrowed down my search for new ht speakers to basically 2 or 3 brand combo's. I need some expert advise on which would give the best, in your opinion, sound for ht! The reason I say, in your opinion, is because I do realize that all of this is subjective, but if say, 90% of you agree that the Aerials will sound better, then chances are I will too. Right now I am just going with the front trio and will add surrounds later on as budget allows. All of these are basically going to cost me the same as I have been seeking out the best used deals I could find.

Aerial Model 6's (LR)

CC-5 (center)

or

Paradigm Studio 100v.4 (LR)

CC-690 (c)

or

Klipsch La Scala (LCR)

My sub will be a single MFW-15 on either of the 3 systems and all will be powered with a Denon avr-4308. My room is around 12 x 10 but due to furniture I will actually only be setting 5 feet from center and 7 feet from the fronts. Opinions?

·
Registered
12,438 Posts
I have not heard the Paradigms. But I get the feeling you are overspecing the center with the CC5 relative to the 6s. It costs more itself that the L/R pair. It's intended partners are more like the LR5.

I'm using a CC3B with a pair of 7Bs and they blend seamlessly. Y'know, if you really want best advice on which of the Aerials to mix, ask Michael Kelly himself. He will happily discuss.

As for subs, in a small room, two is better than one. The room modes will kill you.

Happy hunting!

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
I don't have a huge room and the CC-3b is a perfect match for my Model 6's. Being the 6's are front ported made it easier for me to place in the room. I use a pair of used 5's I found used for rears and it makes for a great surround system. These speakers are power hogs so they will require an outboard amp to get the most out of them.

·
Banned
3,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies! As for the CC-5 vs CC3b, I do understand that the CC-5 was meant for the LR-5 but from what I have read and heard, the CC-5 is one of the best centers on the market and even though it may not blend perfectly with the Model 6's, it would give me that extra bit of fullness and detail that I have been chasing after for years. Plus when the times comes to upgrade, I would just have to purchase new left and right speakers if I go with the Aerials as opposed to the Paradigms.

I would like to hear some more thoughts from you guys as to which system would you prefer for 100% ht?

·
Registered
5,570 Posts
From my experience the 3 is a perfect match for the 6's and it's not exactly an undersized speaker at around 50lbs. I would use the money you save from the price difference between the 3 & 5 and put it into the SR-3's to complete a seamless surround sound. In fact I think a store up here in NH is selling a demo pair at a good price.

·
Premium Member
1,633 Posts
Marty,

I was in a situation similar to yours a few years ago. I had been using an old (but loved and will never sell) pair of Polk RTA-11t floor standers along with a Definitive technology CLR1000b center channel speaker. I longed to upgrade to Aerial Acoustics but it was such an expensive upgrade. I decided to purchase a CC3b to replace the CLR100b. I soon sold the CC3b because I could not tell a huge amount of improvement.

However, I still wanted three identical (at least in manufacturer) speakers across my front soundstage. I next purchased (3) B&W Matrix 805 which gave me identical speakers across the front. This did provide seamless movement across the front LCR channels, but, even with my sub the dynamics were not what I had with the Polk/Definitive combo. Moving from floor standers to bookshelves proved to be a big mistake. The mismatch in manufacturers proved to be less important (to my ears) than having identical across the front. So, I sold the B&W's.

One day a single Aerial LR5 showed up on Audiogon. I knew the LR5 was identical to the CC5 in a vertical design. I also had been thinking of trying one because of the excellent reviews and recommendations. I decided to call Mike Kelly at Aerial for his advice for an upgrade path.

His statement was that not only was the LR5 identical in design to the CC5, but, it actually performs BETTER than the CC5 for center channel because of it having its drivers arranged vertically instead of the market driven horizontal array.

He then said that for pure HT listening 80% of a typical movie's soundtrack is mixed to the center channel. The center is the most important channel in a home theater. He also added that the LR5 (or CC5) is such an excellent performing center channel speaker that it would make any lesser set of mains sound even better in a home theater set-up.

I listened to his advice and bought the LR5; hoping his comments were accurate. i've got to tell you, he was absolutely correct. For the first time I could tell an ENORMOUS (bigger than huge) improvement in the sound of my front soundstage when I added the LR5 as center to my Polks. I'm not good at describing the details but I will try. The bass was deeper and tighter, there was more fullness to the sound, there seemed to be an added dimension or depth to the sound. It was amazing. I sold my CLR1000b and kept the Aerial. This but me on the path to upgrading my mains to LR5's to match.

I just last week purchased a Proceed HPA3 to power my fronts. This is replacing my Parasound HCA1206. Knowing how the Aerials love power, I knew an amplifier upgrade was needed. I feel the upgrade to the proceed is again a gamble, but I want to see if I can tell a difference, at my listening levels, with the additional (actually double) power provided over the Parasound.

I say start with the CC5, or LR5, as center and build around it. I don't feel you will get the ultimate performance with the 6's as opposed to a larger Aerial, but, it will sound excellent until you can afford an upgrade.

Just my opinion.

David

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.