AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I recently purchased an Epson 8500 projector and 100" black diamond screen for my home theater. It will be set-up soon but all I have to plug into my receiver is an Xbox 360 and Sony Blu-Ray player. I'm looking to dump my Comcast HD box in favor of an ATI CableCard Tuner (until something better comes out that is). This means I am looking at an HTPC for the set-up. I'm looking for the power to play Blu-Rays and 1080p videos online and stored locally. The tuner will be external so expansion is not an issue. I have become very familiar with many possible HTPC setups (Core i3s, IONs, etc...) and I am looking for the nicest looking (but still releatively high performing) case or HTPC out there. I'm a fan of the Asus Essentio CS5111 (although they are no longer sold and people seem to hate them with a passion) but I can get one or eBay or wherever. I know it's not very powerful but it can handle 1080p and looks nice. I also like the Zotac ZBOX with Ion 2 to be released soon, but I am skeptical about having an Atom CPU used with such high-tech equipment. The Mac Mini seems to be my favorite, although I do not wish to purchase one now with a dated CPU and GPU with no HDMI output. I have looked at many cases on Newegg and frankly, they are all incredibly dull boxes. I have not seen one that attracts my attention for more than 2 seconds. Any help? Should I wait for a new Mac Mini? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,173 Posts
I'm trying to figure out as I read this post. What exactly is special about a Mac Mini case? It's about as dull as they come the last time I checked. Absoluetly nothing unique IMO about it. Except it's small and easy to hide. Neither description has anything to do with looks however.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I went with the Moncaso 312B. My only complaint is that I wish it used the blue light on the volume knob from the silver version instead of the orange.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I second the Moncaso 312. The Mac mini... Its small, low power, quiet, understated, and classy as far as designs go. At least in my opinion... Its also the only machine besides an AppleTV that Apple makes that is "media center-ish". Can't really fit an iMac under your TV. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts