AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I have a 32" 1080p 60hz Samnsung which is primarily used for Xbox and DVD viewing. Want to bump up the experience a notch so going to get a Blu ray Player (PS3) but I want some better speakers than the ones in the TV before I get the player -- I figure if I'm going to upgrade the visuals might as well upgrade the audio.

Now, the room is small and also is only enclosed on the West side, which is doors to the bedroom. The north side, behind the TV, opens to the hallway with no door, and the east side opens to the kitchen, again, no door. It's not the biggest apartment. Also, to make matters worse, the property manager lives below -- nice guy and and we can play music fairly loud but we can't blast stuff obviously.

Which is all to say I'm looking for a modest system, and my budget is modest as well. How does this look:

SONY HT-SS360 5.1-Channel Home Theater System

(edit -- the forum won't let me post links yet because I am a new poster, so I'm just bolding the names, sorry!)

I've only skimmed the surface of research but this one got good reviews. I think there's one for cheaper at a Best Buy near here too.

How's this one work for gaming and Blu Rays, worth it?

This Onkyo was suggested to me as well, same price:

ONKYO HT-S3200 5.1-Channel Home Theater System

One thing that concerns me though is HDMI passthrough, which I think both of these have. Ideally -- and if I understand how it works correctly, I'm still figuring this stuff out -- I'd like to have 4 HDMI cables, 1 each from the Xbox and the PS3 going into the reciever, and 1 each from the receiver into the TV, correct? The Xbox is rigged so you need their 40 dollar cable to get digital audio into it without a regular HDMI, from what I understand, which I would like to avoid.

Anyhow, thoughts? I def. do not want to spend more than 300, as I am getting the PS3 as well so my budget is already maxed.

·
Registered
29,190 Posts

Quote:
I'd like to have 4 HDMI cables, 1 each from the Xbox and the PS3 going into the reciever, and 1 each from the receiver into the TV, correct?

You only need 3 HDMI cables in this instance. 1 each for the Xbox and PS3 and one from the receiver to TV. All devices that are input to the receiver with HDMI are output thru one cable to the TV.

The receiver acts as a video switcher.

·
Registered
9,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by catland /forum/post/18178364

And that will work for the Sony?

Yes, connect your components (xbox & ps3) with HDMI cables to HT-SS360 and output HDMI cable to Tv.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright I think I'm gonna pull the trigger on the Sony, it's under 300 with free shipping right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts