AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I have a set of modeed pioneer towers, and I'm very happy with them. Of course, this hobby always has me wanting to try new things. I recently ordered a Rythmik sub, and that has me curious about Ascend speakers. How would a set like the 170s or 340s compare. Would either be a worthwhile upgrade?

I've also liked the Chane speakers, and Hvl-1s, but I'm not sure if they would be much of an upgrade.

I'd be interested to hear opinions on what would be the next step up to save for one day. By the way, this would be in my theater room.. It's mainly tv and movies, but I still would prefer good sound for music. The room is 15x16

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
I prefer the ascend and arx over the pioneer any day ,I usually recommend the pioneer when people are on a budget or don't want to take the risk with internet direct speaker manufactures but usually you get more bang for the buck.

the ascend and arx have solid cabinets and better quality parts.

everything on the pioneer look cheap and inexpensive to build.

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
I prefer the ascend and arx over the pioneer any day ,I usually recommend the pioneer when people are on a budget or don't want to take the risk with internet direct speaker manufactures but usually you get more bang for the buck.

the ascend and arx have solid cabinets and better quality parts.

everything on the pioneer look cheap and inexpensive to build.
I generally agree, though I believe the OP has a set modded by Dennis Murphy. Not sure how much closer that narrows the gap.

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
I generally agree, though I believe the OP has a set modded by Dennis Murphy. Not sure how much closer that narrows the gap.

even the modded version will not get you that far just a little bit refined sound over the non modded version.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yes, mine were modified by Dennis, and don't get me wrong, they sound great. But for me this has become a hobby, and I get the desire to try other things. The ascend have always interested me, and same with the arx and hvl-1. Just not sure how much improvement they would be. There are some 340s in the classifieds that seem nice at 475 for the front 3. Just not sure I love the look of the mini towers

Also, my room is 15x16, but dies open to another room that is a bit smaller. With a nice sub, like the rythmik, could I consider bookshelves, or should I stick with towers?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did you listen to them?
Someone I was hoping to hear from. I believe you've heard them or at least the bookshelves, correct? I know they are pretty well thought of by those who have heard them. Some reviewers have questioned finding much that will compare under $1000. I have limited experience with speakers, I'm new to this, and have virtually no friends or family that are into this. So I've relied on the forum to help find and try new things. I really like the Pioneers, but you can't help but want to try other things once in awhile. I have a pair of NHT Superzeros in a 2.1 setup and that's it for my ability to compare. I really do like the NHT's too though.

One issue to bring up is my setup. I took advantage of my Pioneer's shorter height, and maximized my projection screen. So now, virtually any bookshelf on a stand, or tower, will rise up above the bottom of my screen. Is it safe to push out my left and right even wider? Photo of setup for reference. That is a 15' wall my screen is on, the screen is 130" diagonal, and we sit about 13' away.

Attachments

·
Registered
19,825 Posts
Someone I was hoping to hear from. I believe you've heard them or at least the bookshelves, correct? I know they are pretty well thought of by those who have heard them. Some reviewers have questioned finding much that will compare under $1000. I have limited experience with speakers, I'm new to this, and have virtually no friends or family that are into this. So I've relied on the forum to help find and try new things. I really like the Pioneers, but you can't help but want to try other things once in awhile. I have a pair of NHT Superzeros in a 2.1 setup and that's it for my ability to compare. I really do like the NHT's too though.

One issue to bring up is my setup. I took advantage of my Pioneer's shorter height, and maximized my projection screen. So now, virtually any bookshelf on a stand, or tower, will rise up above the bottom of my screen. Is it safe to push out my left and right even wider? Photo of setup for reference. That is a 15' wall my screen is on, the screen is 130" diagonal, and we sit about 13' away.
I do not see your picture

Yes, I did review the AA modded bookshelf speakers - and they are a nice difference from
the stock version. A lot of us like searching and listening to different speakers.

You do not need to spend $1000 to beat a pair of Pioneer AA speakers - While they are
good - there are still some nice options under $1000 a pair. I would look for more of a clear
upgrade, than something around the same price point. One set of speakers that I really
like is the JBL Studio 530
http://www.amazon.com/JBL-Studio-53...72570&sr=8-1&keywords=jbl+studio+530+speakers

However, the Ascend 3 mini towers for $475 - may be a nice deal for you - they should play
louder for you.

You may want to save up some money for your future upgrade - however you can always test
something if you want to pay return shipping.

You can sometimes find speakers on Ebay and Craiglist for not a whole lot, if you just want
to toy some.

However, nothing wrong if you want to test out the ARX, Ascend and Wave Crest if you desire.

Your call

·
Registered
19,825 Posts
OK, I see it now

You can move your speakers some more to the left and right,
However, still leave some room for them to breathe from the
left and right corners - and not get blocked by any seating.

And I would move them up forward some more, so that the fronts of the
speakers are a little ahead of the center cabinet. I would also make sure
that the center channel is to the front edge of the cabinet.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
First, I have heard the unmodified, but not the mod Pioneers. Just making a suggestion based on what people have told me about the D. Murphy version of those speaker, I think the AA CMT340 would be an upgrade, but not enough of one to be worth the switch. if you are going to switch from a speaker you like, you want to make sure the upgrade is easily noticable and not subtle. Maybe the AA 3 Sierra-1. I often recommend the EMPtek speakers, but I also am not sure they would be enough of an upgrade the justify the move.
maybe Wharfdale Diamond 10.7...at 1000/pr right now from Music direct
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15494-wharfedale-diamond-107-tower-speakers-pr.aspx
Or Focal, also on sale from Music Direct
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-139678-focal-chorus-807-v-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx
maybe a Kef speaker?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
However, the Ascend 3 mini towers for $475 - may be a nice deal for you - they should play
louder for you.

You may want to save up some money for your future upgrade - however you can always test
something if you want to pay return shipping.

You can sometimes find speakers on Ebay and Craiglist for not a whole lot, if you just want
to toy some.

However, nothing wrong if you want to test out the ARX, Ascend and Wave Crest if you desire.

Your call
Thanks for the input. I agree that I don't want to make a lateral move, just trying to gauge what would be a good next step. I certainly agree I don't need to be spending 1k. I do check the ads here and craigslist, that ascend listing for the mini towers is what got me wondering. I'll think about those, or perhaps trying something new with a trial period.

How do you think bookshelves likes the hvl-1 and ascend 170s would compare to a moded pioneer? Will they play as loud?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
First, I have heard the unmodified, but not the mod Pioneers. Just making a suggestion based on what people have told me about the D. Murphy version of those speaker, I think the AA CMT340 would be an upgrade, but not enough of one to be worth the switch. if you are going to switch from a speaker you like, you want to make sure the upgrade is easily noticable and not subtle. Maybe the AA 3 Sierra-1. I often recommend the EMPtek speakers, but I also am not sure they would be enough of an upgrade the justify the move.
maybe Wharfdale Diamond 10.7...at 1000/pr right now from Music direct
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-15494-wharfedale-diamond-107-tower-speakers-pr.aspx
Or Focal, also on sale from Music Direct
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-139678-focal-chorus-807-v-bookshelf-speakers-pr.aspx
maybe a Kef speaker?
Thanks, I'm glad you are calming my urge to buy the 340s. I like good deals and I'd love to buy and demo speakers at will, but that's not realistic.

I've thought about saving for the sierras you mentioned, but that kind of raises my question about having a tower vs a bookshelf. With a quality sub, I guess they are more even. My room is a bit bigger though, so I guess I've wondered if I should stick with towers or not.

I bought some b stock super zeros, so I'll now have 4 of those. I may set 3 up to just see what a bookshelf does in that room for me. Granted, it's a small speaker.

For testing like that, should I turn audyssey off and switch between stereo and direct mode? Then swap speakers and repeat?

·
Registered
19,825 Posts
I bought some b stock super zeros, so I'll now have 4 of those. I may set 3 up to just see what a bookshelf does in that room for me. Granted, it's a small speaker.
The SuperZero is suited more for surround speaker placement >
however, nothing wrong with toying with them.

For testing up front - the SuperOne 2.1 would be more beneficial.

However for front speakers, I would aim higher then the SuperOne 2.1

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Don't get me wrong, the AA CMT-340 is an excellent speaker, which I have heard often (a very good friend of mine owns them). Just not sure it is enough of an upgrade, based on what I heard about the Murphy version of the Pioneer to warrant a move. Definately way better that the stock Pioneers, however.
Since you stated that you have ordered a Rythmic sub, I think I would wait till you have that and see how that improves the system...then make changes down the road when you are more sure of what speaker you want to use next.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The SuperZero is suited more for surround speaker placement >
however, nothing wrong with toying with them.

For testing up front - the SuperOne 2.1 would be more beneficial.

However for front speakers, I would aim higher then the SuperOne 2.1
I agree they are to small, the 2 b stock will actually be for surrounds in a new atmos setup. My current surrounds are htd in ceiling, right above the listening position. I figured it may be fun to try some a-b testing, never done it before

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't get me wrong, the AA CMT-340 is an excellent speaker, which I have heard often (a very good friend of mine owns them). Just not sure it is enough of an upgrade, based on what I heard about the Murphy version of the Pioneer to warrant a move. Definately way better that the stock Pioneers, however.
Since you stated that you have ordered a Rythmic sub, I think I would wait till you have that and see how that improves the system...then make changes down the road when you are more sure of what speaker you want to use next.
I agree, I have the sub coming and a new receiver. My bank account has taken a hit and I'm out of things to sell. I'm happy to the my time, those 340s had got me wondering though, it's hard to pass up a good deal

I do want to get the new setup going and spend some good time with it. I'm also trying to start an atmos setup, I'd love some input on that, I don't think anyone has weighed in yet

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1940209-atmos-setup-help.html

1 - 17 of 17 Posts