AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey all,

So I have been looking to upgrade my home theater system for quite a while now. I have recently bought the onkyo TX-NR646 (160 watt rms per channel) and an optoma HD26, both of which I am very happy with. Since I am still using an old out of the box pioneer surround set that I have mixed with a bose sub from my desktop setup, I am in need of an upgrade.

I was thinking of first upgrading my front speakers (LCR). I have been looking at the Elac series, more specifically the BS 72 for LR and C5 for center, to the Chane A1xr-C for LR and A2xr-c for center, but also roaming to find second hand b&w 600 series speakers.

I know there are a lot of other brands that are great in this price range (looking/hoping to spend a max of around 500-600 euro's on the LCR) but brands like Fluance, Micca, Wave crest audio don't ship to europe (as far as I've been able to find) or would add an extra speaker in cost to get them. If I got the chane's, it would run me 120 euro's in fees to get them to me (totalling them at 655 euros). The elac's would also total 649 euros but are available in holland so no extra fees (so more value into the speakers??), I could even go down a serie in the elac's since there are some sales going on because of the debut series and then could (for once) stay within budget.

I have also come across the Wharfedale diamond 10.0, the teac LS-H265-B and dali zensor 1 which are available in europe but I didn't come across them as often in forums and have no idea what would be a matching center for them. Klipsch on the other hand either are to high wattage or I have read that they are very ear-piercing and not subtle at all with their horn.

Anybody know of other great brand that are available in europe or could weigh-in on which are the superior speakers?

We live in an appartment where the living room is 450 square feet and about 250 of this is used to watch movies/tv/music. We mainly watch movies but also like to listen to music (let's say 70% movies/tv -30% music). I like depth, warmth and detail in audio like the small background noises that give away the temperature of the environment in a scene and really brings it to life, or where I can for instance hear the different layers of instruments used which on the radio you would never hear. We have a 5.1.2 setup because I got 2 onkyo atmos speakers with the receiver. I am not extremely picky in looks of a speaker but I don't mind a bulky speaker, the dali zensor 1 for instance looked like a pc speaker to me. The Chane's I think are beautiful and the fact that they use a tweeter that for instance in the elac's is only present in the 700 euro a pop series makes me think they are great value for their price (maybe even with the extra fees).

All advice is appreciated and sorry for my god awful punctuation.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I have a couple more options now and am going to listen to some this weekend. Only the chane's I will not be able to listen to

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
Being a European company, is Dynaudio still in the game over there? Really a fan of everything I've heard by them, but seems they've been mostly focusing on wireless systems lately.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I suggest Dynaudio DM series

1 - 8 of 8 Posts