AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to decide on a affordable calibration tool for my dedicated Home Theatre projector a Panasonic AE3000 and my other displays in my house Sharp LC46D92U televisions. They are all used for HDTV, HD Gaming (360 & PS3) and Bluray. I have looked into the Spyder3TV package and it is quite cost effective. Are there other options that are affordable ($500.00 or less) that would be a better choice. Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
7,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by protocolgeorge /forum/post/17014863

I am trying to decide on a affordable calibration tool for my dedicated Home Theatre projector a Panasonic AE3000 and my other displays in my house Sharp LC46D92U televisions. They are all used for HDTV, HD Gaming (360 & PS3) and Bluray. I have looked into the Spyder3TV package and it is quite cost effective. Are there other options that are affordable ($500.00 or less) that would be a better choice. Thanks for the help.

Yes.

http://www.chromapure.com

is one.

http://www.homecinema-fr.com/colorimetre/index_en.php

is another.

http://www.spectracal.com

is yet another.

·
Registered
637 Posts
The eye one LT meter is under $150, and HCFR software is free. You would only need test patterns which are also free. http://www.amazon.com/Xrite-EODLT-X-...0541907&sr=8-3
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=983943
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

I'm not familar with your TV, but your projector does not have a full color managment system, so I'm not sure how much calibrating you can do. This link lists equipment with full CMS's. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=852536

Also there is a dummies' guide that outlines how to perform a calibration. http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewt...asc&highlight=

I used the above equipment and software and really enjoyed calibrating by Epson 6500. The picture was noticeable better. It is also fun to tune up the calibration as the bulb ages.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knd /forum/post/17015064

The eye one LT meter is under $150, and HCFR software is free. You would only need test patterns which are also free

X2. This is the best deal IMO. Eye one LT and HCFR, then download the AVSHD REC.709 test disc from this site. The AVSHD download lets you burn Blu-ray patterns to a regular DVD and use that for test patterns. Best disc I have seen yet.

Dan

·
Registered
7,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stereomandan /forum/post/17019915

IMO = In My Opinion, Tom. For less than $150 total for the meter, software and calibration disc, it's the best deal IMO.

Dan: I understood that you were only offering an opinion. What I meant to ask was whether you had had enough experience with the alternatives to permit you to offer an informed opinion. You can't possibly know what the "best" deal is until you have some reasonably clear idea of how good a deal the alternatives are.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman /forum/post/17020007

Dan: I understood that you were only offering an opinion. What I meant to ask was whether you had had enough experience with the alternatives to permit you to offer an informed opinion. You can't possibly know what the "best" deal is until you have some reasonably clear idea of how good a deal the alternatives are.

This is the age of online price comparison - you should know that the best deal is always the cheapest
........... This unfortunately drives good companies out of business and then we all go complaining about the bad quality and customer service available. I think there is a connection there.....

·
Registered
7,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhdiab /forum/post/17020200

This is the age of online price comparison - you should know that the best deal is always the cheapest
........... This unfortunately drives good companies out of business and then we all go complaining about the bad quality and customer service available. I think there is a connection there.....

I am as price sensitive as the next guy, but if price is the ONLY consideration, then the Spyder3TV package that the poster originally mentioned is the "best".

Since the original poster said he was interested in the best package under $500, I assumed that anything under that limit would be subject to a price/performance analysis, and THAT requires some reasonable familiarity with the available options.

My guess is that what Dan meant to say is that this is a package I have used, really like, and can recommend.

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
@Tom, I suppose the meters you suggested are all not able to do a good job for CMS work, is that right? If so, what would be your suggestion for a good (and not too expensive) CMS capable meter? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman /forum/post/17020007

Tom, I would be interested in your opinion of the products you mentioned. I went with the Eye-one and HFCR - this proved to be a very inexpensive way to go that apparently (I say apparently because I don't have experience with many different measuring devices and software ) was the best bang for the buck. I looked at the Spyder probes, but the consensus of opinion was that the eye-one was better. Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman /forum/post/17020335

My guess is that what Dan meant to say is that this is a package I have used, really like, and can recommend.

Tom,

That would be true also.

In addition, I am basing my opinion on data you collected and have posted comparing less costly meters to reference meters like the i1pro. From my recollection, the Eye-one LT and D2 performed resonably well for color saturation and brightess for CMS calibration. Not perfect, but the results looked plenty good for me considering the cost delta between meters. The LT also has good low light response. I have been very happy with the results from my Eye-one LT on my Epson 1080UB LCD projector. Knowing that the OP has a LCD projector as well, with similar panels as mine, I feel very confident that he would be happy with the LT meter.

I fully agree that there are meters out there which are more accurate for all display types. i1pro for example, but this is out of his price range for the meter alone.

Also, I have used both Calman and HCFR and prefer HCFR because for me it was more intuative and plenty powerful. Now Calman is a great product, don't get me wrong.

So that is why I made my original post.

Dan

·
Registered
7,998 Posts
Dan: I agree with everything you write.

However, I listed 3 software options, not just HCFR and CalMan. I am being coy here for a reason.

Regarding the questions about meters, there is nothing special about CMS work that places special demands on a meter. Meters often have as hard or a harder time with white, though green is usually a problem as well.

However, for a software/meter combo under $500, you are pretty much limited to the D2. Unfortunately, the C5 performs measurably better than the D2, but with software this generally goes for just a little more than the poster's $ limit, though considerably less than an i1Pro.

Actually, for about 95% of the work I do, if I had to use just one sub-$1000 meter I would actually prefer the C5 over the i1Pro. Its color/white readings for conventional displays are usually just as good and its dynamic range is much, much better. You can actually measure gamma and contrast with the C5, which you can't do with an i1Pro.

·
Registered
8,363 Posts
So the C5 would do the job for CMS, too? I thought I read that for CMS you need a Spectrometer? Of course it would be great if the C5 could do CMS, too. That would make things so much easier!!

·
Registered
7,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by madshi /forum/post/17024911

So the C5 would do the job for CMS, too? I thought I read that for CMS you need a Spectrometer? Of course it would be great if the C5 could do CMS, too. That would make things so much easier!!

As I said, there is nothing special about measuring primary and secondary colors that isn't also true of measuring white. That is a myth I have seen repeated more times than I care to recall.

Of course, you will get more accurate results with a high-end 5nm spectro, but that is true of white as well as of color. I have not seen consistently better results with a low-end 10nm spectro like the i1Pro. Moreover, errors in white, all else being equal, are more perceptually objectionable than errors in pri/sec. colors. A 0.009 error in white is easily visible. A 0.009 error in green would be almost impossible to detect by eye.

The real variable is not whether you measure color or white, but the type of display. Some displays will give colorimeters, even good ones like the C5, fits.

Let me give an example. I calibrated a 800U Panasonic plasma last night. Compared to my reference spectro, the average error that the C5 returned measuring the primary and secondary colors was x0.006, y0.005. The biggest error of 0.010 was in the x-axis for green and yellow. The smallest error was 0.001 in the y-axis of red. The error for white? x0.007, y0.004. In other words, just about exactly the same as I got with color. This is typical of a wide range of displays.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Can I use the same equipment to calibrate a LCD rear projection and a projector?

·
Registered
7,998 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sCiEnt /forum/post/17034866

Can I use the same equipment to calibrate a LCD rear projection and a projector?

The type of display doesn't matter, though with a projector you have a choice of taking readings off the screen or directly from the lens. If you go the lens option you have to use a diffuser with the meter.

·
Registered
352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomHuffman /forum/post/17035382

The type of display doesn't matter, though with a projector you have a choice of taking readings off the screen or directly from the lens. If you go the lens option you have to use a diffuser with the meter.

Thanks Tom. That said, any suggestions. I want to spend approximately $150 on equipment. I have been looking at the suggestions mentioned before. Anything else?

Also I am looking for a good disc to calibrate my HD audio. Any suggestions on that front? Thought this might not be the best thread for that topic. How about Avia and DVE?

1 - 20 of 46 Posts