Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks:

FYI.

I was on the phone with Pacific Cable yesterday and was told that they will VERY SOON (I think they said this coming week...) be selling affordable DVI switches over their web site. They are aware of the Gefen switches and Gefen's price structure. Aparently the Gefen switches are not compatible with HDCP - that's not a problem now since there isn't any HDCP content, but will (I assume :D ) be a problem in the future. I was told that Pacific Cable's DVI switches WILL be compatible with HDCP and that they were committed to affordability...

I have my fingers crossed!!!

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
I would cross all my fingers too but I wouldn't be able to type.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
Well, the Gefen switches are indeed HDCP compatible, so at least they are lying about the competition!

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1819

The whole purpose of the Gefen switch I linked to is HDTV. And the new Gefen switch is $249. That's the bogey.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Gefen currently has a two port switch and will be coming out with the four port switch in the next couple of weeks according to the company President. They are HDCP compliant.This site has better prices on these switches.

http://kvmgalore.com/shopping/defaul...id=16&x=17&y=6

·
Premium Member
4,316 Posts
Are the Gefen's really on that site? I saw one DVI switch line (Extendits?)... or did you mean 'DVI switches in general'?

Edit: Never mind.. I couldn't even see the Gefen name on the kvm site. Rogo's link clarified it! :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Hmmm... $220 really isn't bad when you consider the included cables. Two of the 6 footers is easily $50 worth of cable (that would have to be purchased separately otherwise), thus practically bringing the price of the switch down to essentially $170.

Anyone tested one of these yet?

Marc

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
I have a Gefen DVI switch (2-port). It's HDCP compatible, and included two DVI cables. It works as advertised, with no image-quality degradation. Also, Gefen provided extraordinary customer service. I highly recommend Gefen to anyone seeking a DVI switch solution.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Quote:
I have a Gefen DVI switch (2-port).
Do you have to switch the inputs manually?

·
Registered
452 Posts
So does this mean that for a TV like a Sammy DLP with one DVI port, you can connect a switch to the cable coming from that port and run it to (for instance) both a DVD player and STB with no loss in PQ?

Arungupta, if you are out there - what are your thought?

·
Registered
6,194 Posts
mrbadog asked, "Do you have to switch the inputs manually?" Yes, you do. I set the switchbox behind the right edge of the screen, near the "front panel controls."

Red Angel asked about switching capabilities. Yes, you can connect multiple DVI sources to a switch-box and select between them without PQ loss. But it's not cheap; the Gefen switch (a high quality product, IMHO) cost $250.

·
Registered
280 Posts
The Geffen switch offers the HMT-2 remote switcher option. Is this just a remotely positioned push button? Hardwired or wireless? Assuming it is still a manual switch (remotely positioned), are the any DVI switches out there that can be controlled by IR or RS232 commands? I would hate to incorporate a push button in a complex system otherwise entirely controlled by wire remote.

Marc

·
Registered
916 Posts
I think the remote control issue will be key to my purchase. I don't want a wired or walk-up-to-the-tv-and-press-a-button solution (though perhaps I'll settle for it since I'll be at the switch inserting a DVD into the D1 anyway), so I'm anxious to see Pacific Cable's offering.

Rick

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The Gefen remote control is a remote control, AFAIK. It's not a long-distance push button.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I'm still not sure what that means. The picture of it shows a small box with a button. Is it IR? Can the code be captured, i.e. can it be controlled by other programmable remotes or by rs232? Thanks.

Marc

·
Registered
274 Posts
The 2 port version of the HDTV switch is not IR or RF controlled. The remote switch is wired. Another HDTV product from Gefen with 4 ports which is due out anytime now will be according to Gefen controlled by IR. Its total cost will list at $399.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just called Geffen. They confirm the present 2 port DVI switcher has a wired remote/button. They stated that there will be a 2 port version with IR control in one month and a 4 port version with IR control in two months. Hopefully, it will be sooner, as some have stated here, but this is the time frame quoted to me. Apparently, the only IR controlled option right now is their 4x1 DVI/ADC switcher for MSRP of $849 (IR remote included).

Marc

·
Registered
274 Posts
Sorry to turn this Pacific Cable thread into a Gefen thread but:

I e-mailed Hagai Gefen and he stated that the 2 and 4 port HDTV DVI switches with IR control are expected to be available in October. That narrows it down to 30 days. As previously posted elsewhere the expected price on the 4 port was to be @ $399 hopefully including two DVI cables and the IR remote.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DLiquid
How long until I can buy an A/V receiver with 4 DVI (HDCP or HDMI) inputs? :D
Better yet, how long before television manufacturers get a clue and toss out the RF and composite (minimally) Video inputs on their high-end televisions and toss in 3 or 4 DVI inputs (or HDMI or Firewire when they become more widely accepted by STBs and DVD players)? I know this question has been discussed numerous times in other threads, but I thought this might be a good time to bring it up yet again.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.