AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I shelled out the money for a D-ILA and was looking for an affordable scaler. My wife has limited me to $500. Is ther anything even worth getting for this price or should I try and make her let me spend more?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,

I would recommend you to go with an iScan HD, since it just became more affordable. The price went down from 1499.99 to 1199.00.

iScan HD is capable of upconverting your normal (standard signal) to HDTV like picture. The great performance of this unit has been demonstrated and rated very highly.

lenexpo-electronics

Best regards,

Mike

·
Registered
115 Posts
Or you can go with the Hybrid Rock+ from T A W for $1,199

It had sold for $5,199 and won editors choice award from SGHT in 2003. Like all of T A W's products it is upgradeable too.

Russell

T A W, Inc.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Would either of these units allow me to upconvert 720p to 1080i or 720p to 540p? My Mitsubishi TV only supports 1080i or 540p input.

Thanks

·
Registered
115 Posts
The T A W Hybrid Rock+ will bypass 1080i & 720p HD signal from your set top box satellite or cable untouched by Rock+ directly to your Mits TV.

The Hybrid Rock+ will upconvert all your standard definition (cable, satellite, and DVD) to 540p no problem.

Above I think your looking for downconverting 720p & 1080i to 540p and the Hybrid Rock+ will not downconvert the HD to 540p it will bypass the signal at the resolution given by provider or channel station.

Let me know,

Russell

T A W, Inc.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
I've been investigating a few analog scalers the one that it currently leading the pack is the ADS HDTV 1500 up/down converter. Using DCDi it's analog only, but seems to have quite a number of features uncluding a number of fixed panel resolutions.

I would check e b a y or froogle for current princing on the unit, but it IS within your price range of $500.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
check Ebay to, usally the dealers there are cheaper

Quote:
Originally posted by Lenexpo
Hello,

I would recommend you to go with an iScan HD, since it just became more affordable. The price went down from 1499.99 to 1199.00.

iScan HD is capable of upconverting your normal (standard signal) to HDTV like picture. The great performance of this unit has been demonstrated and rated very highly.

lenexpo-electronics

Best regards,

Mike

·
Registered
38 Posts
tsgrayson,

I just picked up a VLS-2000 from a company called ESI. They do a direct from manufacturer auction on eBay and you might be able to get one around $300-$500.

http://www.esielect.com/ESIvideo/Default.htm

I love it so far. I bought it to replace my Iscan Pro that feeds an older CRT projector. I was hoping my PJ could take at least 800x600, but tragically, it doesn't quite sync. Anyway, the 480p from the VLS-2000 looks better than the 480p from the Iscan Pro, IMHO. I'd imagine it would look really nice at 800x600 or 1024x768. It should do what you need. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello,

You could also consider Zinwell BLS-2000DVI price range: $350

Has Composite video, s-video and component video input and VGA as well as DVI output. BLS-2000DVI is capable of upconverting incomming signal to 1080i, 720P and 480i. One of the better products at this price range.

You would be able to find it through our website: lenexpo-electronics

Thank you

Best regards,

Mike

·
Premium Member
8,103 Posts
tsgrayson,

At $500, I would suggest holding off and not purchasing anything at the moment. The range of products around that value will not provide you with a significant improvement.

A few other scalers people didn't mention and might be relevant (or at least near your price range). If you can make due with a deinterlacer - you can get a used iScan Ultra or Pro for something in your price range. Another two alternatives are the Lumagen DVI and Plasma Enahncer from Pixel Magic.

·
Registered
879 Posts
"At $500, I would suggest holding off and not purchasing anything at the moment"

This I agree with that is a nice LCOS 720P display and you need a good Lumagen / HQV/ TERANEX on a chip scaler to due it justice .

There will be new scaler models debuting at WCES in VEGAS in january highly recomend you consider spending more and waiting untill then you be glad you did.

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Gee. This is great. Our moderator (who I respect and like) has let this become a marketing forum. *** gets to pitch it's piece. Michael Khain signs with his company's tag and pitches. Someone else posts a link to a seller of ESI, all in violation of forum rules and our moderator joins into the discussion. Has Alan seen all of this? Have the rules changed? Can I start pitching too?

·
Registered
38 Posts
To be clear, I'm not pitching ESI. I actually bought the thing. You live in Brookeville MD, swing by my place and you can see I own it and that I don't work for ESI. I doubt there'd be much money in it anyway. On a side note, I wish I would have waited two more months since Iscan HD has dropped in price and I could have traded in my Iscan Pro.

Duh!

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Duh! Another violation of forum rules. We don't insult members here. We are not allowed to post links to sellers of equipment other than to AVS. I know you didn't do anything wrong deliberately Jeff. Peace.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Pretty delicate footing around here, I need to execute all replies with kid-gloves going forward. Ha-Ha!

I wasn't aware that posting links to other vendors was wrong and I wasn't even aware that I insulted any members. I better stick to reading and less writing.

Thanks for the heads up.

Jeff

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'm not pitching the ESI VLS-2000, but I've been using it for awhile now with my 1209/RP82 at 960p , its looks pretty darn good, Jeff, you're telling the truth. I don't want to put words into John Gannon's mouth, but he he was fairly impressed with it I think a month ago when he was here for a calibration. That said, I am a hair trigger away from purchasing the Lumagen ProHDP but don't want to suffer buyer's remorse when the fabulous HQV on a chip scalers come out next year. What to do ? Will Lumagens scaler stack up with HQV or Gennum, or will they produce a scaler with one of these chips possibly ?

Rod

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
Lumagen is one fine company and I have a Vision Pro which I have been using for about a year as well as a Rock Pro, both with SDI in. The deinterlacing of video is poor on both. Deinterlacing of film is fine on either. I want Teranex quality deinterlacing of video and I want to be able to deinterlace 1080i to 1080p with something other than BOB quality. I would love to see Lumagen use the HQV chip instead of the chip they are using for 480i deinterlacing. Lumagen uses its own scaling and is using a gated array for its scaling and 1080i deinterlacing. But I fear the gate availability for high quality deinterlacing of 1080i video will be insufficient plus algorithms will need to be written. What a machine Lumagen would have if it used the HQV chip for its 480i and 1080i deinterlacing and scaling. One chip instead of two and motion adaptive deinterlacing for 1080i. But, the boards would have to be redesigned I think and a whole lot of programming of all those wonderful Lumagen features I think would be required.Given the costs to Lumagen and its small size, I doubt it will happen but I can hope.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Mark, do you have any experience with the VisionProHDP, its a completely different machine than the VisionPro I think ? I spoke with Jim at Lumagen and he promises true HD deinterlacing (not BOB) shortly, in fact I told him I am basing my purchase solely on that promise as I am sure many others have also. Sounds like you don't think this is possible ot at least at "Teranex" level quality with the ProHDP. Can you explain further ?

Rod

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
BOB is true HD deinterlacing just as BOB is true 480i deinterlacing. However, BOB is the lowest form of deinterlacing. The best form would motion compensation deinterlacing. What we have seen so far for 480i deinterlacing is motion adaptive with Faroudja enhancing that with DCDI.. With the new chips such as the Silicon Optix HQV motion adaptive or better for 1080i is available. Lumagen has stated that it is possible that its multi gated chip may have enough gates left over to go beyond BOB deinterlacing of 1080i. Whether it would and how fat that will go, no promises were made. I do not know if BOB is even now operative for 1080i. It might be but I do not know. I really like the Lumagen product and the people who make and design it. They give use SDI, BNCs and just about anything we ask for. But whether they will use the newly available supercomputer chip, the HQV, is I think an unasked and unanswered question for them. The obstacles in design and programming would be substantial for such a small company. If the were starting from scratch, I think they would be using the HQV chip.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
I'm pretty sure Bob is implemented right now, someone else that has a Beta unit please confirm. He did say inverse telecine would be implemented for 1080i soon which is for film sources I believe. This would be the most important feature for me since most of my HD viewing right now is HBO or Showtime movies and hopefully HD-DVD or Bluray in the future. Motion adaptive would be for video 1080i like sporting events I assume. I want this too. Motion adaptive and inverse telecine are two completely different animals then right ?

Of course transcoding in the digital domain may be just as big a factor for 1080i quality for us crt owners, at least I'm hoping thats the case when I can eliminate my Altinex transcoder from the chain.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.