AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have very basic receiver needs. 5.1 and 3 HDMI in are about it. But I need a powered zone 2 that supports video and audio. I've noticed that zone 2 video is a high end feature and requires me to buy all kinds of other features I don't need. Does any manufacturer support this on low end models?

Which receivers should I be looking at?

I know of these, but they are overkill for me:

Yamaha RX-V2700

Onkyo TX-NR3008 (lowest in the range that supports zone 2 video?)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmoothie /forum/post/19509771

Just run video directly to Zone 2 from the source or if using HDMI, buy an HDMI splitter.

Unless I misunderstood, neither of those suggestions match what I'm looking for.

Zone 2 video out allows me to output any source to zone 1 and any other source to zone 2.

Running video directly from one source will limit zone 2 to a single source.

Using an HDMI splitter will lock zone 1 and 2 to the same source.

Any other ideas?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn337 /forum/post/0

Unless I misunderstood, neither of those suggestions match what I'm looking for.

Zone 2 video out allows me to output any source to zone 1 and any other source to zone 2.

Running video directly from one source will limit zone 2 to a single source.

Using an HDMI splitter will lock zone 1 and 2 to the same source.

Any other ideas?

Buy a second receiver for zone 2. Use HDMI splitter to redirect source to two receivers.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn337
You're suggesting I buy another receiver and a splitter for each source?

The onkyo is sounding more affordable already...
What are you talking about?

Receiver (one per room) with HDMI can be found for $300. Splitters are available for as low as $25.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm talking about the hassle/space/power/reliability of maintaining two receivers and n splitters.

Good suggestion though.

Back to my original question: which manufacturer(s) offer zone 2 video in their relatively low end models?

·
Premium Member
93,225 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynn337 /forum/post/19509940

Most AVRs that offer video to Zone 2 (including the two you listed) will only output composite video to Zone 2 which means you would have to connect composite video cables from those sources you want to pass to Zone 2 in addition to the HDMI cables you are likely using for the main zone.

·
Registered
203 Posts

Quote:
Most AVRs that offer video to Zone 2 (including the two you listed) will only output composite video to Zone 2 which means you would have to connect composite video cables from those sources you want to pass to Zone 2 in addition to the HDMI cables you are likely using for the main zone.

...and analog audio cables as well.

EDIT: I believe the Pioneer 1020 and 1120 will do zone 2 composite and powered Zone 2 stereo audio from analog sources (Note that certain sources like ipod, sirius, AM/FM count as analog and don't require separate analog cables). You will not be able to get Zone 2 sound from HDMI/optical/coax

If you can live without the newest features like 3D, you might be able to save some money (and/or get a higher-end box) by buying one of last year's models, if such are still around.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts