AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just my two cent review on the last 3 weeks of watching football in HD. I am watching through DirecTV Sunday Ticket, and Monday Night Football OTA. Its clear to me that CBS is the HD king! Thier production and camera's are head and shoulders above ABC and ESPN. ABC dpes a nice job as well, with nice, clear pictures but not as nice as CBS. Finally comes ESPN....they are well below CBS and ABC. Tonight's widescreen shots have me wondering if they arent sneaking an SD camera up there to save some $$. Obviously they arent, as once they pan in, its clear again. Overall picture is very grainy at times and needs help.

Granted, I am still estatic to have this many games in HD, so kudos to each network for jumping in feetfirst....now if FOX would join in the fun, we will really be in HD bliss....

My HD Grades:

CBS - A- Excellent colors, vivid picture. Lose the low angle sideline SD camera and this becomes an A+. Good times....

ABC - B- Best camera seems to be the one in the booth, and I can live without seeing Madden and Michaels in HD. Clear picture, and good schedule keeps ABC in the game. Sharpen up those camera's and put an HD camera on the overhead Skycam (same to ESPN) and your moving up to an A.

ESPN - C- Overall, very disappointing. Grainy pictures has me and others wondering if the game is even HD at all. Time to hit the study books, ESPN, you should be the leader in HD. Like ABC, best HD camera seems to be in the booth.

·
Registered
734 Posts
CBS- A (It looks awesome)

ABS- No Idea (ain't no OTA in Tallahassee)

ESPN- A (It looks great)

Fox- B (With no OTA or cable, anything is better and 4x3 480i)

DIRECTV- A++ (Great job getting ESPNHD before the season started, showing Fox widescreen and working out the CBS deal for a Sunday NFL game)

·
Premium Member
1,874 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian Hakey

My HD Grades:

CBS - A- Excellent colors, vivid picture. Lose the low angle sideline SD camera and this becomes an A+. Good times....
yes,lose that camera and more cheerleader shots and its an A+++ ;)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Brian

I agree 100% I couldn't of written it better myself.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Let us not forget that CBS used SD cameras yesterday, quite a bit!

Every time they went to that shot from knee, or ground level on the side or end zone it looked just as bad as everybody else doing it! So lets not be so quick to pat CBS on the back just because its 1080i!

And yes by the way I believe I paid for Sunday Ticket strictly for HD games I haven't watched anything else Yet!

·
Registered
181 Posts
ESPN is coming along. The Sat. night UM-BC game (on D*) was the best so far except for HDNet. Didn't get to watch last night but last Sunday's was nice too. Didn't get to watch CBS yesterday either, but the UGA-LSU game Sat. had lots of pixelization in the action shots (OTA). Gonna email my local today and see what's up. Looking forward to my 1st MNF game tonight (OTA). Grades for this w/e: HDNET-A, ESPN-A, CBS-C.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Linux23
if ESPN is so bad, why not watch the SD channel?
ESPNHD got a C- not an F.

No one got an A+

·
Registered
373 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by riga
ESPN is coming along. The Sat. night UM-BC game (on D*) was the best so far except for HDNet.
Aah! I was hoping someone would make a comment that would allow me to jump in and ask a question. On saturday, I had the rather unique opportunity to directly compare two HD college fb broadcasts "keeping everything else constant."

I switched between HDNet's BSU-OSU game and the UM-BC game on ESPNHD. The HDNet game DEFINITELY look clearer, more film-like and generally more pleasing to the eye. The ESPNHD game (although it looked great), did not look as good as the HDNet game - it looked a little "harsher" and the edges were indistinct on the long shots (almost like there's a ton of EE on ESPNHD). I am watching all these channels off my Dish 6000U receiver on my 65-inch RPTV Sony.

I find this VERY surprising. If both channels are using HD cameras and sending direct digital broadcasts through the same satellite set up, why would they look different on the same TV?

Can some tech expert on this forum explain why HDNet's CFB game would look better than ESPNHD's? Isn't ESPN's 720p supposed to be *better* for sports?

Also, I don't know if there has been much discussion on this, but I see a LOT of pixellation on CBS-HD (off the satellite, on Dish). Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
704 Posts
My votes are as follows :

ABC Monday Night Football ---- A +

ESPNHD --- A -

CBS --- B

HDNET -- C ( D* compression ???? )

Fox ED --- C ( the Fox Game was pretty darn good yesterday )

I think that there is a huge difference in HD daytime vs nighttime games. Maybe HD is very artificial light friendly.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rvaidyan

Can some tech expert on this forum explain why HDNet's CFB game would look better than ESPNHD's? Isn't ESPN's 720p supposed to be *better* for sports?

I am no expert. I understand that generally a 1080i picture is more detailed, but 720p is better for motion artificacts, etc. Of couse, it is hard to evaluate a 720p broadcast if your TV does not display it natively; ditto for 1080i.

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
I start to think the reason 1080i generally looks "better" on larger CRT based RPTVs because those sets are 1080i native and can resolve more lines of resolution, therefore they benefit from the higher resolution of 1080i. The downside of 1920x1080i is it consumes too much bandwidth in order to look the way it is. Since most carriers do not give the full bandwidth it requires, we see more motion artifacts like "pixellation."

On 1280x720p native sets, the higher resolution of 1080i is of no advantage, 1080i is converted to 720p and motion artifacts may translate into soft pictures, therefore a 720p feed like ABC and ESPN can look better.

And yes the Dish CBSHD East HD game had very visible pixellation. But on my 53" RPTV, 720p games never could offer me the "look out the window" feeling like 1080i does. However, since even the 19.3 mbps standard bandwidth can not satisfy the 1080i bandwidth requirement for a motion artifacts free picture for sports, I'd say 720p is more realistic for sports at this point.

HDNet is one exception. It continues to give us best of both worlds. Only if they had the big contracts like the other big networks do.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I can display 1080i and OTA 720p natively on 8 ft wide screen. Here are my grades for picture quality.

CBS Football = A

HDNet Football= A

ABC MNFHD = B

ESPN Football =C

Fox HighRes = D-

Did anybody notice the compression artifacts(?) in last night's ESPN game? It was very apparent in the green of the field. It looked like parts of the field was moving. I wonder if this is a Directv bandwidth issue. Did anybody see this on cable?

Vance

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jacmyoung
HDNet is one exception. It continues to give us best of both worlds. Only if they had the big contracts like the other big networks do.
How does HDNet avoid the pixelation? Are they using better encoders than CBS?

·
Registered
4,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jckessler
How does HDNet avoid the pixelation? Are they using better encoders than CBS?
I don't know. I noticed pixelation was most visible during fast zoom in and out and fast switch from one camara to the other with some kind of fade in technique. CBS used those tricks a lot, but not HDNet.

HDNet apparently knows how to show us HD games, no tricks on the camara work, just sit tight and let the HD pictures speak for themselves.

But I can't blame CBS for what they did, afterall they simulcast the game in SD 4x3 frame for the vast majority of the viewers. With SD blurry pictures, they had to spice them up a little to make them interesting.

·
Registered
4,159 Posts
I don't know what it is, but HDNet CFB looks best on my 1080i CRT RPTV. And mind you, I get HDnet via D*, so it prob'ly has some compression wheras I get CBS and ABC via OTA (no sub-channels, so I assume no compression there).

whatever it is HDnet is doing, I wish they were all doing it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
The only game I watched this weekend was on FOX. I can get it from Comcast and OTA. I found the OTA version to be MUCH better. I'm not sure what's getting lost on Comcast but I hope they work it out.

-Greg

·
Registered
343 Posts
I ordered ESPNgameday for the Ohio State game and the quality totally sucks... I could hardly watch it. I won't be wasting my money on that again

·
Registered
13,192 Posts
I was showing off my theater (specs in my profile) to my brother-in-law on Saturday during the HDNet and ESPN-HD high-def games. We started with HDNet and as soon as I switched to ESPN-HD he said its a little fuzzy...

Which has always been my opinion on my setup. All of them look great but HDNet and 1080i are very hard to beat.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.