AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The information on this forum has been really helpful. And after thinking I had my mind made upabout the speakers...the posts here convinced me to give av123 a call. The helpfullness of Sean and the knowledge and patience he had in answering all my questions was unbelieveable. I mean that literally!!! I try and research any purchase, especially large and quite frankly can't remember the last time someone took the time to explain and inform as av123 did.

So..signed up at audioenvy and waiting to audition the Diva's! Looking at 6.1's, center and perhaps rears. Will have to get creative as the wiring for the rears was prewired in the ceiling. But willing to re-wire if the sound is worth it. Also looking at the HSU vtf-3 for a subwoofer. May need two cause of the room size, gonna wait til after hearing the diva's to make up mind on that.

Still leaves me with a dilemna at the receiver if these speakers work out. The room is 18*25 with 12 foot ceilings and tile floors. Another room (like the bottom of a fat L) aprox 14*20 same 12 foot ceilings sits adjacent and is open to the A/V area(family room). Budget is aprox 6k for speakers, amp if needed and speakers.

Local dealer has a special on the yamaha rx-v1 for 1200. Will need an amp with that to drive the other rooms in ceiling speakers (at least thats what the local dealer said). So to my questions:)

Within my budget is there a better receiver? WIll i need an amp to drive the diva's, how much of one? Should I bypass the amp and go with the denon 5803? What would be the best configuration - figuring after buying the speakers and sub I have about 2800 left for the receiver/amp combo?

Thanks again for the long read and any advice!

Therese

·
Registered
404 Posts
get the denon i have rxv1 its just ok nothing great

or you can save a lot of george and buy a oulaw for each room

these have nice amps and recievers

·
Registered
448 Posts
I vote Denon!

·
Registered
71 Posts
My Denon 3802 pushes my 6.1/c3/2.1 pretty good. If you wanted a cheaper route I think my setup sounds good. If you want more future expandability I would get an outlaw combo

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
The Denon 3802 seems to be in the sweet spot for driving the Divas. It has plenty of power, and all the latest features plus you can use it's pre outs to add an outboard amp later if you feel the need. I think you can get the 3802 for under $700.000 shipped to your door. And Like h8red said, if you want to throw more money at it, I would look at one of the Outlaw combo's.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hello Therese,

How much of a hurry are you in? I ask because given your budget you could just slide in an Outlaw 950 Pre/Pro at about $1000 and an Outlaw 770 7 channel amp for $1799. If you take a look in the search facility here you'll see the 950 has drawn a great number of compliments from those who beta tested the unit. if you take a look here :-
Outlaw 950 Product Specs

You'll see what all the fuss is about. The unit can handle Dolby Digital EX, Pro Logic II, DTS-ES, DTS NEO:6 & full analogue pass through for multi channel audio sources. Apparently when the folks from Cirrus who supply the DAC's looked at the parts requirement they figured an RRP of $3000. The 950 is, however, back ordered a real long way, so you may have to wait a couple of months to get one. The power amp deliver 7 X 200W and is designed by the same team. AV123 sell Outlaw equipment, but they won't be selling these items for a few months I understand simply due to lack of product, Outlaw just can't make these things fast enough. Obviously a good secondary solution would be the Outlaw receiver or one of the Denon receivers (which to me always sound more musical than other manufacturers), but if you wanted to push the budget to the max the outlaw pre / power combo will probably better anything else at the price point if the comments from those who've heard it are accurate.

Good luck with your decision.

Regards and best wishes,

Dave

·
Premium Member
992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice. Had been reading about the outlaw, but was con cerned over some of the quality issues I had read about.

What about using the denon 3802 as a pre/pro and adding an amplifier like the outlaw 770?

Thanks Again,

Therese

·
Registered
448 Posts
The 3802 works well for this. I carried the concept a bit further and use two tube amps to drive the front and center channels and use the 3802 for the side and rear channels. It works for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.