Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I have been following the progress of HLN owners tweaking their sets with interest. I feel lucky as a HLM vr. 111 owner having the hard work of some of the "Master Tweakers" results just handed to me so that I just had to enter in a few values and away I went. So this thread is for us HLM owners to :

1. Speculate if Samsung will really update our boards to the new internals.

2. Discuss if given the choice you want to make the jump.

3. Report any A/B compairisons between HLMS/HLNs. (that's going to be a hard one).

4. Has anyone seen the block diagram of the HLNs? I am still wondrering if DNIe is just away to set up the FLI2300 chip since it does (I believe) video processing. I am a bit more convinced of this because the new Samsung DVD player w/ 720p has the FLI2300 and DNIe.

5. Is anyone with a tweaked HLM convinced that the new internals are better, maybe after seeing a HLN at someones house or at a showroom ( doubtful since the showroom TV will probably not setup optimally).

Regards,

Mark

·
Registered
239 Posts
I also have a vr 111 HLM and am totally satisfied with it. Ive yet to see any concrete evidence that the HLN improves upon this specific configuration. This may be a case where it proves not worthwhile to upgrade even given the chance.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I don't think there will be an upgrade until the Tantus models (467 and 567) are available. It is likely that the firmware for the replacement processor boards will be based on these models. Since the upgrade it isn't available now, it isn't like you have to make a decision yet.

Based on the rumored price of the upgrade it will only be the electronics that are being changed, not the whole light engine.

PS When I get my HLN467W I will let you all know what I think...

·
Registered
433 Posts
I have a v109 HLM 507.

After doing the tweaks, I'm very happy with the picture quality. I will be interested to hear how the HLN owners feel about shadow detail on their sets since you can't turn off black level expansion in the SM.

If that seems ok, then I'll be doing the upgrade mostly to get discrete code capability.

Jeff

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
I missed that one. Is that verified? I don't even think anybody has a true SM for the HLN, and I don't think there has been a lot of "real" tweaking done yet on these sets. Maybe there is another way to do it that hasn't been discovered?

EDIT: Ok I found some posts about this, I think this is inconclusive at best. I've put off tweaking what is now my 3rd set (I had the old internals on my first 2), but now I'm concerned. I've tried to contact Samsung asking if I could get a new service manual for the new internals since my current service manual is pretty worthless now but I haven't heard back.

I'm also starting to have some wierdness YET AGAIN with the 3rd set so who even knows if it is going to stay.

Has anybody found a SM for the HLN?

Quote:
Originally posted by jedvik
I will be interested to hear how the HLN owners feel about shadow detail on their sets since you can't turn off black level expansion in the SM.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I have an HLM ver. 109 and would never consider upgrading to the newer internals, for a couple of reasons.

First, the FLI2300 internals don't seem to have an easy way to disable the black expansion circuit, which is the one thing that greatly improved detail in dark scenes on my set.

Second, everything else on my set is so damn perfect that I wouldn't want anything to mess with that.

The only thing I wish I had was revision 111, since that retains all of what I like about my set, but has the 'default to wide' issue fixed.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by jedvik
I have a v109 HLM 507.

After doing the tweaks, I'm very happy with the picture quality. I will be interested to hear how the HLN owners feel about shadow detail on their sets since you can't turn off black level expansion in the SM.

If that seems ok, then I'll be doing the upgrade mostly to get discrete code capability.

Jeff
Are you sure they are offering discrete codes in the new sets?

Turls, damn you are on number 3 already? I hope this one works out for you.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rodger,

By the new internals I meant the FLI2300 and DNIe. All new generation DLPs use the TI H2 Mustang light engine. If the HLNs had a new "H3 Stallion "(just kidding), I would really be worried about a substantial improvement in PQ between the HLMs and HLNs. The reported upgrade is $200, I think a light engine board is in the $K.

Mark

·
Registered
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AngryCPA
Are you sure they are offering discrete codes in the new sets?
I read this in the April 2 Samsung NY Comments thread:

" As far as questions, early adopters will seem to have their upgrade prayers asked. Details and implementation have to be ironed out. Things to be fixed will be a new mainboard that will give ones DNIE, wide default fix, discrete codes, and 2300 faroudja chip. I think this company has really shown a lot of love in respecting our opinions and really addressing these issues."

I think it was Jeffrey Mercado who posted that info.

Jeff

·
Registered
370 Posts
Mark,

That is what I thought you where talking about. My main point about posting was to clarify what would be replaced. Some people might assume that it is the whole light engine and electronics.

Regarding your point 4. I too believe that DNIe is basically an implementation of the signal processing features of the FLI2300. I would be surprised if Samsung had a general purpose processor in the DLP RPTVs that was powerful enough to do much video processing by itself. This theory could be falsified if we ever see a DNIe product that does not have some form of FLI23xx or newer chip.

This isn't necessarily bad. It does mean that in the future a version of DNIe/firmware (basically the software that manages the video processing in the FLI2300) that has a finer control. While I can understand Samsungs desire to keep things simple it would be great if we could have a custom DNIe setting that exposes the individual components of the DNIe system to user control. This would mean users could fine tune the signal processing to match their own preferences.

DNIe Off, On, Custom.

I think the main reason why this isn't done is that you would need to add a user interface to allow for control. The user interface seems to be the worst part of these Samsung TVs hopefully it will be a bit better in the Tantus models and a lot better in the 2004 model year. When you compare the Samsung UI to the GWIIs it just isn't in the same league.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.