AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A throw away thread to be sure but one that can be interesting and help pass the time till these sets are out and about. Me, at the moment leaning toward the Samsung UN75H8550. I'd much more prefer a set with passive 3D but the pickings are much slimmer than I imagined they would be. If anything, I thought there would be more passive UHD sets given the nice reviews for Sony's 2013 UHD set. Instead it's looking like that good news wasn't even heard by TV manufacturers as 3D was dropped or both active and passive were enlisted (Sony). I'm still weighing Sony's 79" but it looks to be out of my pocket range and while I don't hate the speakers, I'd rather not have them due to the size of the stand that I now have.

Samsung UN75H8550

+ It's the size that I want (moving up from a 65" Sony 900A), evolution kit, hardware based local dimming (?) Quad Core processor, Wide Color Enhancer Plus (Answer to Triluminous?)

- Active 3D, extra glasses expense, special care needed for glasses, batteries, no true FALD

I see other manufacturers coming out with their own version of/or Dolby HDR but I don't see any like feature listed for Samsung, not even on their top of the line set. I'm wondering just how much they can do with their Evolution Kit.

The jury is still out and there is a lot about this set that I don't know but time will tell.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I'm ready to buy but all the sets with features I want are still ridiculously expensive. I'm looking at the same set you are but no passive 3d is a bummer and I would really prefer 80-85" not 75. To get all the features and size I want puts me over 10k which means not buying anything most likely until next year.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatti-man  /t/1521273/after-sorting-through-the-2014-uhd-sets-which-way-are-you-leaning#post_24447430

I'm ready to buy but all the sets with features I want are still ridiculously expensive. I'm looking at the same set you are but no passive 3d is a bummer and I would really prefer 80-85" not 75. To get all the features and size I want puts me over 10k which means not buying anything most likely until next year.

I feel ya. Too expensive or the wrong tech or the wrong size. It's possible it could be even worse in the years to come if more set manufacturers call it quits. The less manufacturers, the less choices consumers have. What do you think about Sony's 79" 4k set (XBR-79X900B)?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Doesn't that have an integrated sub and speakers? If so that's just dumb and needless bulk on my wall. I don't get why they would not be removeable. That's another set I was considering and I love sony since they have done right by me in the past servicing items for free well out of warranty

·
Registered
124 Posts
Right now, I definitely want to know more about the Sony lineup, specifically the XBR-79X900B and to see it in person. I'm not nearly as bothered by the Active 3D as others are (probably because my current Panny Plasma is Active), so that's not really a con to me. The biggest question I have is how much of a visible difference the lack of FALD will make next to the XBR-85X950B and whether or not it is a $15K difference. Honestly, I am considering the 85X950B as well, but no matter how you look at it; that's a lot of money for something (4K content) that may not even be that plentiful for some time. Still, as I was watching Gravity in 3D on my 65", I kept wondering how much better it would be watching on the 85".

·
Registered
394 Posts
I'm looking at the Samsung HU9000 and HU8500. I've been constantly switching between the 2 sense CES ended. The curve of the 9000 is slowly starting to grow on me and according to the price leaks it won't cost much more than the flat 8500. Also, the 9000 features the Auto Depth Enhancer which gives the illusion of 3D without glasses. I think that feature would be really cool for CG movies. Both the 9000 and 8500 feature Micro Dimming which uses both hardware and software to reach better contrast levels. They also feature an new color engine that is estimated to be able to reach 70-80% of the new Rec.2020 standard. All in all, both models look to be fantastic TVs.

On the other hand, I may just wait for CES 2015. I'm hoping Samsung will announce a TV with native Rec.2020 support and Dolby High Dynamic Range. It would also be nice to see some 12 bit panels.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Is there a list somewhere of all the 4K sets 70" or larger that will be available for sale this year? I'd really like something in the 80-85" range, but I know the prices are going to be nuts at least for the first year or two so I'd be willing to do something in the 70-75" range. Just need to figure out what my options are.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DualEdge  /t/1521273/after-sorting-through-the-2014-uhd-sets-which-way-are-you-leaning#post_24447778

Right now, I definitely want to know more about the Sony lineup, specifically the XBR-79X900B and to see it in person. I'm not nearly as bothered by the Active 3D as others are (probably because my current Panny Plasma is Active), so that's not really a con to me. The biggest question I have is how much of a visible difference the lack of FALD will make next to the XBR-85X950B and whether or not it is a $15K difference. Honestly, I am considering the 85X950B as well, but no matter how you look at it; that's a lot of money for something (4K content) that may not even be that plentiful for some time. Still, as I was watching Gravity in 3D on my 65", I kept wondering how much better it would be watching on the 85".

And imho you know they will offer FALD on the middle of the road large sets next year with full hdmi 2.o and a slew of other features plus a cheaper price. I've never been this flummoxed by technology where I know exactly what I want it's just priced out of my means.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I'd put the chances of Sony offering TVs at all next year at slightly less than 100%.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsegt  /t/1521273/after-sorting-through-the-2014-uhd-sets-which-way-are-you-leaning#post_24448293

I'm looking at the Samsung HU9000 and HU8500. I've been constantly switching between the 2 sense CES ended. The curve of the 9000 is slowly starting to grow on me and according to the price leaks it won't cost much more than the flat 8500. Also, the 9000 features the Auto Depth Enhancer which gives the illusion of 3D without glasses. I think that feature would be really cool for CG movies. Both the 9000 and 8500 feature Micro Dimming which uses both hardware and software to reach better contrast levels. They also feature an new color engine that is estimated to be able to reach 70-80% of the new Rec.2020 standard. All in all, both models look to be fantastic TVs.

On the other hand, I may just wait for CES 2015. I'm hoping Samsung will announce a TV with native Rec.2020 support and Dolby High Dynamic Range. It would also be nice to see some 12 bit panels.

The 78 9000 sounds great but the price leaks put it at 8k upp. That's a 2k premium over the flat version. Curved at that size could look amazing though. Hopefully I can see it in person soon.

·
Registered
4,050 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatti-man  /t/1521273/after-sorting-through-the-2014-uhd-sets-which-way-are-you-leaning#post_24448668

And imho you know they will offer FALD on the middle of the road large sets next year with full hdmi 2.o and a slew of other features plus a cheaper price. I've never been this flummoxed by technology where I know exactly what I want it's just priced out of my means.

GMan that is exactly my position also. Eclipse said he was thinking of waiting till next year. I couldn't stand to wait that long. I have some patience but not that much and don't have a main set to cushion the blow. I hear that Sharp has some 10 bit panels and the Super Bright tech for contrast on their upper 2014 models so that is something to consider also. I hear their Q+ models won't be able to stream 4k from say Netflix so that's crossed out. Then it's down to reviews. That's why I'm glad there are some things coming out later this month and April.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Yeah I have a Kuro 60" right now so I'm ok to wait. I really do want to move up but I can wait another year if need be. If the curved Samsung sells me I will bite otherwise I will wait.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatti-man  /t/1521273/after-sorting-through-the-2014-uhd-sets-which-way-are-you-leaning#post_24451496

Yeah I have a Kuro 60" right now so I'm ok to wait. I really do want to move up but I can wait another year if need be. If the curved Samsung sells me I will bite otherwise I will wait.

Same here. Still love my 60" KURO Elite, but definitely want to move up to 4K in a pretty noticeably larger size. Anxious to see what models come out this year and how they stack up.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
+1 on the Kuro 60".... I too am looking forward to a 70"-80" 4K model. The Sony XBR - 79" X900B looks amazing on paper but I really can't get over those side speakers. What the hell was Sony thinking.

I will not buy a 65" especially in 4K ....no point at normal seating distances (7'-8' for me). The Vizio reference series looks promising hopefully it will be available in a 70"-80" range (only 65" right now or the 120"). Samsung has peaked my interest with this UN75H8550, is this their Flagship model line (8550)?

Anyway, lots of choices and still lots of time until we see who can do what correctly (reviews pending).

Paul

·
Registered
394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hidefpaul  /t/1521273/after-sorting-through-the-2014-uhd-sets-which-way-are-you-leaning#post_24452981

+1 on the Kuro 60".... I too am looking forward to a 70"-80" 4K model. The Sony XBR - 79" X900B looks amazing on paper but I really can't get over those side speakers. What the hell was Sony thinking.

I will not buy a 65" especially in 4K ....no point at normal seating distances (7'-8' for me). The Vizio reference series looks promising hopefully it will be available in a 70"-80" range (only 65" right now or the 120"). Samsung has peaked my interest with this UN75H8550, is this their Flagship model line (8550)?

Anyway, lots of choices and still lots of time until we see who can do what correctly (reviews pending).

Paul

The Samsung flagship for 4K is the HU9000. The 9000 series has a curved screen and features the Auto Depth Enhancer which adjust contrast for a more 3D look without the need for glasses. Other than that, there is no real difference between the 9000 and 8500.

There is also the 84" S9 which is a carry over from last year but it cost $40,000.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
There's definitely a lot of choices to choose from, but I would have to see if some of the other sets not having FALD will be a deal breaker or not. That and how long they take to release. The 79" hu9000, 79" xbr950b, and the vizio p series have caught my attention. If the vizios take to long to release before I can compare the 3 then the samsung looks pretty nice for the price.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsegt  /t/1521273/after-sorting-through-the-2014-uhd-sets-which-way-are-you-leaning#post_24453610

The Samsung flagship for 4K is the HU9000. The 9000 series has a curved screen and features the Auto Depth Enhancer which adjust contrast for a more 3D look without the need for glasses. Other than that, there is no real difference between the 9000 and 8500.

There is also the 84" S9 which is a carry over from last year but it cost $40,000.

The HU9000 also has an improved version of their micro-dimming.

·
Registered
17,298 Posts
My problem is this. Mfrs can call their tv's 4k when in fact they are UHD (3840 x 2160) and not true 4k (4096 x 2160). I'm assuming that there will be minimal loss of resolution when scaling from a true 4k to UHD, but......

1 - 20 of 40 Posts