AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, a huge thank you to the many folks on this forum for their insight on choosing a plasma display. I was all set to buy a direct view TV a few months ago, but then I discovered this forum - the rest is history :) .

My wife and I just purchased a Pioneer 433cmx from PlasmaExtreme.us (thanks for the great service, Lisa!) and are very pleased.

While reading this forum can be very educational, it's hard to match the experience of actually owning one. So allow me to contribute something from my experience for those of you considering buying one.

I wasn't prepared for how bright these displays can be! (Retail stores like Circuit City can be deceiving given how they are brightly lit). I'm used to watching a calibrated direct view TV in a darkened room. But even after calibrating the 433cmx with Avia, I find that I cannot watch the plasma without a light on. Turning down the contrast or brightness any more results in an unwatchable picture. All of the above is true in power mode 2 (standard and mode 1 are even brighter). I have a ideal-lume bias light ( http://www.cinemaquestinc.com/ideal_lume.htm ) that worked great with the direct view, but is insufficient for the plasma. For those who are wondering, my viewing distance is 9 feet.

Please don't take this as a caution against buying a plasma. All the wow factors are true! And this is just with standard definition DirecTV piped through the s-video input on the 5002 card. I'm looking forward to significant improvement when my HTPC with the Holographic 3D card arrives next week.

I'll try calibrating again with the HTPC (since all my sources will go through its ATI 9000 card to the DVI input on the plasma). If that doesn't work, I wonder if ISF calibration can help reduce the brightness without sacrificing picture quality??

Thank you again!

Sunil.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.