AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Check out our review of this crime, comedy romance from director Brett Ratner that tells the story of what happens after a master thief achieves his last big score, retires, and while in paradise, can’t seem to shake the determined FBI agent who promised to capture him.

The Review at a Glance:
(max score: 5 )

Film:

Extras:

Audio/Video total rating:
( Max score: 100 )

Details:

Studio and Year: Warner - 2004
MPAA Rating: PG-13
Feature running time: 97 minutes
Genre: Crime/Drama/Comedy

Disc Format: BD-50
Encoding: AVC
Video Aspect: 2.40:1
Resolution: 1080p/24

Audio Format(s): English DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio, English Dolby Digital 5.1, Spanish Stereo
Subtitles: English SDH, French, Spanish
Starring: Pierce Brosnan, Salma Hayek, Wood Harrelson, Don Cheadle, Naomi Harris
Directed by: Brett Ratner
Music by: Lalo Schifrin
Written by: Paul Zbyszewski & Craig Rosenberg
Region Code: A,B,C

Blu-ray Disc release Date: April 7, 2015

"Who will walk away?"

My Take:

Two master thieves, Max Burdett (Pierce Brosnan) and his beautiful accomplice Lola (Salma Hayek), have escaped to the Bahamas to relax and enjoy their hard-earned riches. But Stan (Woody Harrelson), the FBI agent trailing Max, refuses to believe that his nemesis is calling it quits. He suspects Max and Lola of plotting to steal the last Napoleon diamond, coincidentally scheduled to arrive on the island as part of a cruise ship exhibition. While Lola is content with settling into their new life of leisure, Max contemplates stealing the diamond. Now the question is, will he get back into the heist game – and will Stan finally catch him?

It would be fair to say that over the years I have found the majority of Brett Ratner’s film’s to be to my liking. After the sunset is among my personal favorites but captures the essence of what I like about his style of filmmaking. It’s a sort of heist/comedy/romance hybrid that is short on story but plays well toward the strengths of its characters/cast. The lone exception being the character of Henri Moore played by my man Don Cheadle. I found this character to be an unnecessary add on that completely wasted Cheadle’s talents. Short on story or not, I enjoyed the comedic banter/back and forth between Stan (Harrelson) and Max (Brosnan). Salma Hayek’s beautiful physical form literally steals every scene she is in while Naomi Harris’ startling good looks came in a close second. The elements of the storyline associated with the heists is the weak link in the chain but truth be told the plot really centers around the contentiousness between Max and Stan.

If you’re a fan of Brett Ratner’s particular flair for buddy/crime/comedy flicks After the sunset is a serviceable diversion when the seriousness of life requires something light. I am pleased to be able to replace my DVD with this Blu-ray release from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment.

Parental Guide:

The rating is for sexuality, violence and language.

AUDIO/VIDEO - By The Numbers:
REFERENCE = 92-100/EXCELLENT = 83-91/GOOD = 74-82/AVERAGE = 65-73/BELOW AVERAGE = under 65

**My audio/video ratings are based upon a comparative made against other high definition media/blu-ray disc.**

Audio: 80
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Dynamics:
  • Low frequency effects:
  • Surround Sound presentation:
  • Clarity/Detail:
  • Dialogue Reproduction:
  • Low frequency extension * (non-rated element): NA
  • DSU Rating * (non-rated element): NA

Video: 88
(Each rating is worth 4 points with a max of 5 per category)

• Resolution/Clarity:
  • Black Level/Shadow Detail:
  • Color Reproduction:
  • Fleshtones:
  • Compression:

After the sunset comes to Blu-ray Disc from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring 1080p AVC encoded video that has an average bitrate of 24 Mbps and lossless DTS-HD 5.1 Master Audio that has an average bitrate of 3.5 Mbps.

This is a pleasing high definition video presentation that appears to render the film’s elements faithfully. Resolution is notable as images are firmly resolved, with defining sharpness and two dimensional depth. The film is adorned by a permeating sepia toned aesthetic that combines with its use of soft chromatic warmth to set the thematic tone intended by the filmmakers. Fleshtones appear descriptive with discernible complexional variety that brings out the finest gradations in the differing complexional types among the cast. Blacks are a solid shade of deep black with excellent dynamic range and discernible highlights. Contrast is well balanced which enriches both light and dark onscreen elements. There is a light veneer of grain that provides a mildly textured and film like essence.

The lossless soundtrack delivers clear dialogue and punchy dynamics that come wrapped in a presentation that is more or less front channel oriented but where applicable provides ambience and occasional discrete sounds that provide a tangible level of immersion (the underwater skin diving sequence is a good example). Overall I found this to be a gratifying high definition audio/video presentation that improved upon the DVD release while complimenting the source material.

Bonus Features:
  • Blooper Reel – 5 minutes
  • Feature Commentary with Director Brett Ratner
  • Before during and After the Sunset Documentary – 70 minutes
  • Interview With A Jewel Thief Documentary – 8 minutes
  • The Charlie Rose Show: featuring Brett Ratner, Salma Hayek, Woody Harrelson, Pierce Brosnan – 18 minutes
  • Deleted scenes
  • Deleted/Alternate scenes with filmmaker audio commentary
  • Special effects comparison
  • Max & Lola pretending to make love for Stan’s bug
  • A practical joke Brett played on Pierce
  • Trailer

Final Thoughts:

After the sunset isn’t among the best films of its type from director Brett Ratner but I find it enjoyable. It makes its high definition debut on Blu-ray from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment featuring rewarding high definition audio/video that easily bests its previous standard definition DVD release and includes the legacy supplemental material. Having owned the DVD since day one I am pleased to replace it with this high definition upgrade. If you’re a fan of After the sunset this Blu-ray offering comes recommended.

Ralph Potts
AVS Forum Blu-ray Reviews

Reference Review System:

JVC DLA-RS4910 3D Ready 1080p High Definition Front Projector
(Calibrated with Calman 5 & C6 Meter from Spectracal)
Stewart Filmscreen - Studiotek 130 G3 100” 16x9 Screen
Carada Masquerade Horizontal Masking System
Marantz AV8802 13.2 Channel Audio/Video Processor
Sherbourn Technologies - 7/200 Seven Channel Amplifier
B&K Reference 200.7 Series 2 Seven Channel Amplifier
Oppo BDP-103D Universal Disc/3D capable Blu-ray Player (With Darbee video processing)
Panasonic DMP-BDT310 3D capable Blu-ray Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Toshiba HD-XA2 HD DVD Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
Sony Playstation 3 Blu-ray disc Player (HDMI Audio/Video)
System Controller: Apple iPad/iRule Pro HD Universal Remote Control
Canton "Ergo" and In-Ceiling series speakers
Axiom Audio QS8 Quadpolar speakers
SVS PB-13 Ultra (Rosenut finish)
SVS PC12-NSD
Panamax M5400-PM Power Conditioner/Surge Protector
Wireworld, Better Cables (Silver Serpent) - Audio/Video/Speaker Cabling
Cool Components - CP-CP102 cooling package

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
This flick is eleven years old. ...And is pretty awful, IMO (got the Blu too).

·
Blu-ray Reviewer
14,780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Back then I didn't know better (2009) and it was on clearance for only three bucks ($3).
Greetings,

The Blu-ray?? To my knowledge it is being released on Blu-ray (Here in North America) for the first time next week (April 7th).

Regards,

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Greetings,

The Blu-ray?? To my knowledge it is being released on Blu-ray (Here in North America) for the first time next week (April 7th).

Regards,
Alliance Canada released it for the Canadian market back in 2009. I have that disc and agree with you, I find it entertaining. :)

·
Banned
16,643 Posts
I would recommend checking it on youtube first, before investing on the Blu. ...But that's me. :)

* Alliance Canada released the Blu on July 7th, 2009.

·
Registered
10,618 Posts
Got my Blu-ray Version from the Walmart $7.96 Bin a while back. Personally, 4 stars. Also, recognized the Port from one of my Caribbean cruise days. Beautiful scenery - background and foreground!

Reactions: Ralph Potts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Can't think of any film I'd rather not see than this. The truly awful Brett Ratner directing a pair of truly awful actors in Brosnan and Hayek. Couple that with the words "Romantic Comedy Crime Caper" and I think I'll watch a 30 hour documentary on the holocaust instead.. will be a more cheerful experience.

·
Registered
3,653 Posts
Can't think of any film I'd rather not see than this. The truly awful Brett Ratner directing a pair of truly awful actors in Brosnan and Hayek. Couple that with the words "Romantic Comedy Crime Caper" and I think I'll watch a 30 hour documentary on the holocaust instead.. will be a more cheerful experience.

I sense...ambiguity...here. Could be wrong though. ;)

·
Registered
3,842 Posts

·
Registered
10,618 Posts

Watch it for the great scenery! Will have to see if it looks better on the 9000, then the F8500.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Bought this movie some years ago in blu ray. I did like it. I had it in Dvd as well.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I've always enjoyed this one. It's light and fun, not too serious. Just easy to watch, and Salma's not too hard on the eyes either! ;)

Watch it for the great scenery!
By scenery you mean Salma Hayek right? :) Sorry I couldn't help myself she's #1 on my list.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
I've always enjoyed this one. It's light and fun, not too serious. Just easy to watch, and Salma's not too hard on the eyes either! ;)

By scenery you mean Salma Hayek right? :) Sorry I couldn't help myself she's #1 on my list.
This is precisely why I like this film so much. She is sooooooooooooooooo hot in this film. I have it on dvd and will buy on Blu ray.

Did I mention how hot Salma is in this film?????????

Reactions: Ralph Potts

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
Even without Salma the movies wasn't that bad. It was entertaining....she just made it that much better.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts