AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I finally solved my afternoon signal loss. No, nothing was blocking my view. I found that it would go out until you disconnected it from (both connections) the utv and then plugging one or the other back in would let it work for a minute or two.

After reading all about lnb's found that these guys are not passive, but the utv has to supply power and a voltage level to them. So, I went to R.S. and bought a new one. So far it's working. The only explanation I can think of is that it was getting overheated in the afternoon sun (I'm in LA). I only had it for 6 months.

Anyone else seen this problem?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rocket:
I think I finally solved my afternoon signal loss. No, nothing was blocking my view. I found that it would go out until you disconnected it from (both connections) the utv and then plugging one or the other back in would let it work for a minute or two.

After reading all about lnb's found that these guys are not passive, but the utv has to supply power and a voltage level to them. So, I went to R.S. and bought a new one. So far it's working. The only explanation I can think of is that it was getting overheated in the afternoon sun (I'm in LA). I only had it for 6 months.

yes, add me to the list. I think UTV is bad at dealing with a multi-switch. My other DirecTV receivers have no problems with anything I do related to the multiswitch, UTV has been a royal pain in the arse about it. Last night I had to get one of my normal DirecTV receivers to lock on to each signal on the multi-switch, then switch UTV over to it. It appears the hardware in UTV related to the DirecTV tuners isn't as good as that in the stand-alone DirecTV boxes...

------------------

Paul

·
Registered
142 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by rocket:

Overheating shouldn't cause an LNB to fail. There are lots of places these are used that are much hotter than LA. I would guess you simply had a bad LNB. The fact that it would work for a while and then fail might indicate the voltage applied to it was somehow causing some internal component to fail intermittantly. Solid state devices are notorious for this kind of problem.

It also could have been a bad connection. When you replaced the old LNB with a new one, you may have simply improved the connection somehow.

Cables also can cause this same sort of problem--sometimes intermittantly.

------------------

Ignore them, m'dear: They're beneath your dignity.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.