AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be getting a projector in the spring & I would like to know if I should be Aggressive or Conservative with the amount of time I use it. The only thing that scares me about projectors are the lamp life. The prices for a replacement lamp is HUGE. The main fear I have is to get the projector and be conservative with it's use and then have the lamp go out after the 90 day warranty. I'm on a limited budget being disabled and raising a son on my own. If I had the income some of you folks had this would'nt even be an issue. I'm thinking of being aggressive... Watching all my dvd's within the 90 day time period. Ive got about 65 dvd's.

How is Lamp reliability these days?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by SensiStar

[BThe only thing that scares me about projectors are the lamp life. The prices for a replacement lamp is HUGE. The main fear I have is to get the projector and be conservative with it's use and then have the lamp go out after the 90 day warranty.

[/b]
SensiStar: Only you can decide this. These are "toys" nobody really needs. If your disposable income can not bear the load of a PREPOSTEROULY priced replacement bulb, best not buy one of these things at all.

You don't NEED it!

Hell, I'd love a Hummer H2, but I can't afford it . . . and I don't "need" it! :>)

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
I couldn't agree more, I love my big screen but man, is it setting me back. You really really don't need it, its just one of those nice things in life that some people have to/or not have in life. I saw a 27 inch TV for 150 bucks new at Sam's I couldn't believe it, even though it isn't a good tv, 150 big ones for a 27 inch image, not bad.

Chris

·
Registered
692 Posts
Don't think about the cost of the lamps so much. Aside from the cost of electricity, the major costs are the initial investment and the cost of the bulbs. Let's assume the projector is $1500 and the 3000 hour bulbs are $250. If you watch relatively few movies and use up the first bulb but no more (1500 movies at 2 hours), then your hourly cost is $.50 ($1500/3000 hours). If you use up a second bulb, then your hourly cost drops to $.29 ($1750/6000 hours). After the third bulb, it's $.22 ($2000/9000 hours). As you can see, the hourly cost of ownership goes down as you use the projector more. This is not accounting for resale value, but that's not really affected by how many bulbs you go through, only by how much is left on the bulb you sell it with. It's a false economy to buy a projector and then not use it. Penny wise, and pound foolish.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
The tone of a relationship is set early on. Be aggressive and make sure the projector knows who the boss is. If you are conservative the projector may think it can get away with blowing a bulb after only a few hundred hours. Once you let that happen, claims of headaches are sure to follow whenever the projector doesn't feel like projecting.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.