AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i will mostly be using it for dvd and aiming for a modest (80") screen size now in a spare room until i finish my basement in the next year or so, when i would want to increase to about 90-100 inches or so. The room now is moderately light controlled in the day (faces a treeline so not full sun at all) and pitch black at night. The basement would end up being totally light controlled. I also am on the fence on using my pc as a HTPC since its currently in a separate room and there really is not space for it in the temporary room (but yes in the basement later on)

My choices (like a lot of people here) is the x1 vs z1.

No i dont have rainbow problems.

My current DVD player is not progressive.

Any sugegestions on x1 vs z1???

thanks

·
Registered
407 Posts
You really have to see both for yourself but you'd probably be happy with either. My own experience is with the X1. For me the internal scaler/deinterlacer is the key. I'll projecting onto a 120" diag screen, S-video is all you need and you don't require a progressive DVD player. The Faroudja scaler/deinterlacer inside the pj will outperform any scaler/deinterlacer in all but the very finest, and expensive, DVD and it's perfectly matched to the rest of the circuitry.

I'm watching regular 4:3 satellite and it's perfectly watchable, my VCR through composite is excellent and DVD through S-video is astounding. Colours are smooth and rich, there is no motion artifacts, it's bright and sharp as a tack. What can I say, at $1600US it's a steal.

This is only one persons opinion, so take it for what its worth. Read the posts, certainly, but try to see them for yourself, after all the its your eyes you'll be using.

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
And there will be a full review of the X1 in ProjecorCentral by Thursday. As a result of these forthcoming two reviews, the Z1 and the X1 (battle of the 1s), PC has dropped its current recommendations for projectors

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'm going through same decision right now. I want the Z1 for 16x9 (i won't be watching any 4x3 ) but the X1 sounds great for the Faroudja scaler ( i have laserdiscs i want to watch). Has anyone seen HDTV projected through either of these?

·
Registered
312 Posts
bonedoc2be, can't decide?

I am sure you have read all the recent X1 posts. Someone ask why I bought the X1 over the Matinee (studio experience rebadge of Z1).

X1 $100 cheaper

No need to buy a progressive scan dvd - Panasonic RP82 $220

2 year warranty with an additionally 3 year labor only.

Seller gave me 7 days 10 lamp hours to return it for full refund.

So, even though I was buying site unseen, I could get a full refund if not satisfied. Studio Experience has the same deal with the Matinee only it is 15 days rather than 7.

Bottom line, save some money and buy the X1. If you are not 100% satisfied, send it back. Just pay shipping. Then, buy a progressive scan DVD player and the Z1. Really, there is no risk in either of these machines.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks guys. there are not really any places to view these two guys in action here so i will probaly order one from somewhere with a good return policy (ie, no restocking) I agree, i seriously doubt that i could go wrong with either one, and i probaly just need to stop reading this forum, bit e the bullet and get one!

thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.