AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using a P4 1.8 with Intel chipset, 512K rhambus, Radeon 9800pro, Maudio 2496, XP Pro, and TT w/ ffdshow. I am just now aware of newer mobo's with 8X AGP. I hadn't paid attention to this 'newer' aspect of hardware as a point of concern. My board is 4X max.

1. Is 4X and 8X a software function or enhancement?

2. If not, is there enough expected advantage to suggest an upgrade to an 8X board?

I have not seen mobo's with rhambus, so do I trash this mode if I make a plunge to upgrade? It would seem I would be starting over.

Truly things are doing well with my HTPC. My reason for asking and thinking about upgrading is that I have read about these and those software upgrades that are increasing CPU usage or performance will be affected or the upgrade may not function at all. Each upgrade comes with a new set of problems but eventually someone has a fix and my system continues.

3. I wonder if 4X or 8X upgrade is worthwhile ?

4. Would a CPU upgrade compensate for the 4X board?

5. Or just keep things where they are and enjoy it?

I am one of those who know enough to be dangerous, but lack a complete understanding of what feature enhancements are the ones to go for. So, I end up here at the forum.

Thanks

·
Registered
571 Posts
are you slamming your video subsystem hard, ie, are you playing games at 1600x1200 with full detail and textures on, and you want to get more frames per second? then get an 8x board. If everything is running how you like it, stick with 4x. That video card you have is pretty dope, so you should be ok with that for a while. When you get your next mobo, you can just put that card in-- the board will probably do something like 8x-16x agp, and since that card can do 8x, you'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So am I understanding that 8x is a 'gaming' feature and for now would not be much of an enhancement for TT?

·
Registered
102 Posts
The Radeon 9800's extra cost is all designed for gaming. So if you're only needing a DVD video card, just use a less expensive card. There won't be any apparent difference between the two cards, when viewing DVD's, or Windows Desktop 2D. The Radeon 9600 should be plenty capable for such purposes. Or even a Radeon 7500 should work just as well, for DVD's.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I registered for some software and was sent a coupon for the card. I had to wait for a month or so before CompUSA got it before I got. No downside to using for DVD?

·
Registered
571 Posts
what software was that? I might have to look into it :) the only downside might be if you're picky about fan noise, it has a fan on there. You may not even notice it.

that card also has 10 bit DACS, so is supposed to have very good color reproduction. In other words, perfect for dvd.

·
Premium Member
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Office XP Upgrade. Uncle Bill sent me a coupon for one at CompUSA.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Correct me if i'm wrong, but aren't there two types of 8x? The Radeon 8x requires a 0.8 volt 8x AGP slot, while MB manufactures like ASUS say they have 8x AGP slots, but their voltage is 1.5V. Even if you got an "8x" AGP MB, you have to ensure that its at the proper voltage or you couldn't run it at 8x...correct?

·
Registered
102 Posts
AFAIK, all newer model Radeon cards are designed to work in either AGP 4X OR 8X slots. And no newer motherbords are exclusively 8X either; they are also both AGP 4X and 8X compatible. An 8X capable card, in an 8X capable slot, will run at 8X voltage. An older Radeon 8500, which is AGP 2X and 4X capable, will still physically fit in the same 8X/4X slot, and will run at 4X speed and voltage.

So the voltage going to the video card is determined by the specific configuration of its electrical connectors.

·
Registered
67 Posts
i think the whole agp issue is pointless now. soon we will have pci express and will be using that for our video needs. no need to upgrade from 4x agp

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Don't bother with AGP speeds. AGP8X is only theoretically twice as fast as AGP4X. In practical usage, its less than 1% faster in most cases. Even AGP2X isn't a whole lot slower, probably less than 5% at most. The reason for this is because the bottleneck isn't the AGP but elsewhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.