AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm in the market for a new camera. Basically, I'm wanting a camera that is capable to have an external mic mounted on and have good picture. I'm willing to spend around $700. So far I've got a few in mind, and that's the Everio GZ-HD7 and the Vixia HF S10. What's great about these is that it is HD, and obviously can support an external mic. Anyone have any suggestions on other cameras, or can anyone help me narrow these down? I am also very interested in the Canon GL1. I know this isnt HD (biggest bummer), but it looks great and have heard great reviews---any advice here?


Thanks everyone for the help
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
The last top of the line consumer CCD based SD Canon camcorders look better than the GL1 and nevermind comparing it to HD camcorders. Still, SD camcorders are already starting to look ancient and imagine how your footage will look years from now. These are your memories that your recording. The clearer the better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
I would definitely rule out the Canon GL2 as well but I will say this, the picture quality out of the GL2 is significantly better than the GL1. For one thing it's not pixel shifted CCDs like the GL1 and even the lens design is much improved. After all these years, the GL2 is finally getting a replacement and that's the XF100 but the price of $3,000 is really pushing it way too far. I'm hoping it get released for around $2,300 max.


I used to want an HD7 badly but when it first got released it received complaints about the optical stabilizer from every direction. Plus it had a tendency to over highlight. It seams like their might have been a big design flaw. The new JVC camcorders have been much improved since then.


A camcorder that I usually recommend is the TM700 since not only does it have a lot of good features such as a viewfinder and a mic input that really should be in all camcorders over $700, theirs also a 1080 60p mode which allows excellent motion quality and the ability to do 1080p slow motion in your NLE.Still with all that said, it'll cost you $750 so a bit over your budget.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
$750 works...actually I could stretch to about $800. Thanks for the suggestion. As for the TM700, it looks like a beautiful camera, and I'm really liking the video tests I've seen. I cant seem to find one that has the shoe to mount the mic. All of them have a flat-ish top. Could you send me the link to the exact one your talking about? And another question. If I were to purchase a hood for the TM700, would I need a stepup ring at all?


Appreciate your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
264 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1560 /forum/post/0


$750 works...actually I could stretch to about $800. Thanks for the suggestion. As for the TM700, it looks like a beautiful camera, and I'm really liking the video tests I've seen. I cant seem to find one that has the shoe to mount the mic. All of them have a flat-ish top. Could you send me the link to the exact one your talking about? And another question. If I were to purchase a hood for the TM700, would I need a stepup ring at all?


Appreciate your help.

The TM700 comes with removable shoe adapter, and a small hood included. Just check it out on Panasonic web site.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,526 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1560 /forum/post/19547396


$750 works...actually I could stretch to about $800. Thanks for the suggestion. As for the TM700, it looks like a beautiful camera, and I'm really liking the video tests I've seen. I cant seem to find one that has the shoe to mount the mic. All of them have a flat-ish top. Could you send me the link to the exact one your talking about? And another question. If I were to purchase a hood for the TM700, would I need a stepup ring at all?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEjHX3bE3lI


See mic holder at 2:38, 52 mm hood at 3:18. You do not need a step-up ring, but I suggest to get one from 46 to 52 mm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
929 Posts
Indeed the removable external mic shoe is included and works easily. The mic input is just that, mic only. On my Sony VX 2000 and 2100, the input is switchable between mic or line. 3.5 mm jacks for mic and headset. Used it last week with a wireless remote mic; the receiver was almost as big as the camera!


Off topic but maybe useful info; I've picked up 4 32GB SDHC memory cards from SupermediaStore for around $56 each, including shipping. Watch for specials. AVOID the spams from HONG KONG!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/19548822

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEjHX3bE3lI


See mic holder at 2:38, 52 mm hood at 3:18. You do not need a step-up ring, but I suggest to get one from 46 to 52 mm.

That is exactly what I was looking for. This camera is very quickly stealing my heart! Now I hear that an external light will not fit, or is that not true?


Thanks for everyones help. My friend is a recording artist, for mine and my own sake, I am starting to film the process of writing, recording, distributing, etc. Can you say that this camera would be good for this? Stupid question, I know, but just figured I'd ask.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungermann /forum/post/19547249


All the three camcorders are old models and are not manufactured anymore. Why don't you focus on something newer? Like the HF-S20 or the TM700.

Out of the 2, which one do you prefer? I looked at the hf-s20 today, and really liked the internal memory.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,526 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig1560
Out of the 2, which one do you prefer? I looked at the hf-s20 today, and really liked the internal memory.
Out of the S200, S20 and S21 I would take the S200 because non-removable memory is idiocy.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
If built in storage is a negative then you might as well use the SD card. I'm not sure how having built storage is a negative especially when the camera is the same price as the Canon HF S200. In my opinion the big negative is the HF S200's lack of a viewfinder. It should not cost that much money without one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira
If built in storage is a negative then you might as well use the SD card. I'm not sure how having built storage is a negative especially when the camera is the same price as the Canon HF S200. In my opinion the big negative is the HF S200's lack of a viewfinder. It should not cost that much money without one.
I personally like the internal memory. Can I ask why not to get the GL1 or GL2? If I purchase a used one, whats the chance of me getting one that has the tape tray problems that I hear about? and what would I do to fix it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
I used to want one of those badly, that's for sure but that's when they were popular. It's just really not a good idea to get an SD camera right now. Panasonic is already pushing 1080 60p and even Sony may push 1080 60p next year since that mode is planned in their S35 sized NXCAM. On top of that, more and mote people are starting to want greater than 1080' resolution which is why a lot of people are looking forward to buying a Scarlet once it ever gets released.


I know for me, I just don't want my stuff to look old and Mini DV is already starting to be ancient. It'll look even older if we start to see 3 or 4K in consumer camcorders in 3 years from now(that's guessing by the way).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira /forum/post/19551049


I used to want one of those badly, that's for sure but that's when they were popular. It's just really not a good idea to get an SD camera right now. Panasonic is already pushing 1080 60p and even Sony may push 1080 60p next year since that mode is planned in their S35 sized NXCAM. on top of that, more and mote people are starting to want greater than 1080' resolution which is why a lot of people are looking forward to buying a Scarlet once it ever gets released.


I know for me, I just don't want my stuff to look old and Mini DV is already starting to be ancient. It'll look even older if we start to see 3 or 4K in consumer camcorders in 3 years from now(that's guessing by the way).

Is it an SD camera? Although its a miniDV camera, I'm willing to sacrifice it's quality (it's not an HD camera). It's so easy to edit for me, and it's what I first started using (miniDV). What do you think. Should I stick with a TM700 or a Vixia? Or go for the GL1/GL2?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,075 Posts
What;s the specs on your computer?
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top