AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so maybe this is a sob story but I have to vent, my wife just does not understand! This all started a few short weeks ago while watching "Cast Away" on my native XGA LCD projector with a 100:1 contrast ratio. Basically that movie was the final straw for me and LCD. I figured the next logical upgrade would be to CRT, and to finance the purchase I sold my LCD projector.

During this waiting period I find many deals on used CRT projectors. For instance a used Sony 1271Q with under 1k hours for $810 on ebay (within a 4 hour drive). I only offered $800 and the seller contacts me to inform me that the winner is probably not going to come through and asks me if I am interested. I say yes, of course, but the buyer comes through. Then one evening I decide to take a look at what the local Home Theater stores have. I find this humdinger of a Runco 7" CRT projector with only 200 hours and a Stewart motorized 100" 16:9 screen for $2500. Well the wife about has a cow and we decide the most I will spend is $2k, the sales rep and I cannot come to a deal so I have to pass on that also.

In my second week of being projectorless I stumble across the LT-150 deal. I think cool, but my credit card has problems with recent hotel charges putting a lot of $ on hold. I call up Dell and explain the situation and the salesman seems to think that since it is a Friday they will not charge the card, at least till monday or tuesday (my card is suppost to clear on monday) so I say let's go for it! Well Monday comes and first thing they charge the card and it gets declined and the order is automatically cancelled. I am ready to have a cow myself at this point. So today I call up my salesman and he says not to worry, he will take care of it. Needless to say I am a bit worried.

If this doesn't pan out I'm selling everything and buying a RPTV ;-)

[This message has been edited by DRS (edited 07-24-2001).]

·
Registered
273 Posts
If you have the cash in your account, Dell will do an automatic account debit as a form of payment (although this infos probably a little late to help.)

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Its interesting, I suggested that and he said it would take 3-4 business days. In retrospect this does not make any sense, at the time I just wanted the order to go through smoothly.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
DRS,

I can relate to your frustration as I went through a similar bout of large screen withdraw for a couple of weeks.

For whatever it's worth I would like to offer a few words of advice.

Be patient...going to projection is well worth the frustration and anguish you are now experiencing. If you really want to go to CRT projection, which I would highly recommend if you watch a lot of DVDs from film sources, you should be seeking out Curt Palme in the CRT forum. He can help you out and get you a good servicable projector within the confines of your budget. He has an impeccable reputation. If you watch mostly video sources from satellite/cable and non-film DVD then you should consider a lamp projector.

By the time I am through I will have both. I have an NEC 8" CRT projector now (that I could not be happier with) and will add (whether the Dell deal comes to fruition or not) a lamp projector.

After having adjusted to a large projected image on my screen I simply cannot go back to TVs, whether direct view or RPTV--in either case they are just gigantic boxes that eat up floor space in your viewing room.

There are other things to consider. In my view whether you go CRT or LCD/DLP you will need a scaler or HTPC to get the most out of your projector. I went the HTPC route after initially purchasing a Quadscan Elite scaler and have not looked back yet. I sold the scaler a couple of weeks ago. But different strokes for different folks. If you have a progressive scan DVD player you might be able to get by with decent results until you can afford a scaler or HTPC. But I would hazard a guess that you will not be satisfied watching interlaced video on a projector.

Keep the faith and good luck.

--Jerome

·
Premium Member
2,564 Posts
Maybe its fate. Perhaps the Sony 1271Q had its clock reset. Perhaps your wife would have noticed the rainbow effect. All things work out for the best in the end http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Alex

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.