AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Beware, potential nasty virus... Possibly related to the AIM program.

A week ago my cousin downloaded some skins for the popular AIM program. Since then his computer (win xp pro) randomly reboots (flashes blue screen of death), and has other problems.

What ever his computer is infected with, has attached itself to the boot sector of two hard drives! Even low level format does not purge this virus! And, the Western Digital disk diagnostics program cannot isolate this bad block/sector.

Oh yea, Norton anti virus does not detect this virus; either or after infection.

From what I was hearing from the boy's experiences, he's out two hard drives.

Anyone with comments or suggestions, please post here or PM me.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Umm, if you want to wipe the MBR, use fdisk with the MBR switch. Not a low level format. A low level format is used to gather certain information about the drive that pertains to it's physical characteristics such as servo, sector layout, and defect management, etc. You may also want to use a zero-fill utility. A LLF is not what you want in this case, your drive hasn't physically changed.

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/geom/formatHigh-c.html
http://www.computerhope.com/jargon/l/lowlevel.htm

etc

Second, a diagnostics program won't registed a sector with a virus on it as "bad". It only marks sectors that are bad as bad. Not a sector with a virus on it.

Third, one would assume that any skin package for AIM doesn't contain executable code. (I wouldn't know, I use Miranda as my IM client, I much preffer to use open source software whenever possible.) Assuming that the skins are nothing but a glorified group of jpegs or bitmaps, it's impossible to nest a virus in there as the file format doesn't allow for executable code.

Fourth, if someone announced here everytime a virus was released into the wild, this forum would have hundreds of new threads every day.

Fifth, even if you did get a virus somehow, you need to be specific so we can avoid it. All you told us was to not use skins for an AIM program, though you didn't tell us which one (AOL Instant Messenger, AIM+, DeadAIM, Trillian, Miranda, etc).

Sixth, if you find a virus and you're so worried about the rest of the world suffering the same fate as you (can't say I'm too worried), submit it to SARC.

Seventh, run linux, there's a lot less of this virus thing there.

Eighth, if he thinks he's out the two harddrives and can never get them to work, I'll pay you $10 plus shipping for the both of them, email me at [email protected] with your PayPal address or your physical address and I'll write you a check today. Either that or he can throw them out like he plans to. Or I can put the to good use.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Brian,

I'll forward your suggestions to my cousin.

As for using Linux, yes, when drivers/app are available for the MyHD card; I'll do that.

Tp

·
Registered
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Teeps

As for using Linux, yes, when drivers/app are available for the MyHD card; I'll do that.
Doh!

Yeah, hardware compatibility is still an issue on niche things like that.

::looks at XP Pro computer sitting in corner with HD card and running Coda Music's Finale::

Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.